U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:16 PM

5 posts, read 17,092 times

Advertisements

Hey city girl ,
I am from CT and we have all kinds of spiders, especially if you are doing any kind of home remodeling. Don't worry, they really are more afraid of you. I am kinda glad to see the responses you have gotten , it seems like I will see alot less of them in CO As for snakes we have plenty of those here
too, everything from garden snakes to woodland Rattlers. I have been told that snakes are far fewer in CO because of the cold weather.
However, I have heard some slightly scary stories about bears and montain lions in the backyard ! does anyone have any experience with this?
Personally I would rather battle the snake or squish the spider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 09:43 AM

42 posts, read 187,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyj925 View Post
Hey city girl ,
I am from CT and we have all kinds of spiders, especially if you are doing any kind of home remodeling. Don't worry, they really are more afraid of you. I am kinda glad to see the responses you have gotten , it seems like I will see alot less of them in CO As for snakes we have plenty of those here
too, everything from garden snakes to woodland Rattlers. I have been told that snakes are far fewer in CO because of the cold weather.
However, I have heard some slightly scary stories about bears and montain lions in the backyard ! does anyone have any experience with this?
Personally I would rather battle the snake or squish the spider
It is true that the larger predators have shown up in a neighborhood. There are a number of reasons for this. First people are invading their territory. With the drought we have had, the vegetation was sparse in the undeveloped areas. Bears will eat anything but eat lots of vegetation. So they moved into orchards etc in the area I live. Deer moved in more than usual for the same reason. And to make matters worse, people fed them or put out salt blocks for them. Cute to have Bambi grazing around the home, they thought. First of all it is against the law to deliberately feed them. The lions, coyotes other predators follow their food also and Bambi is food. Dogs and Cats are easy prey. I do not feed deer, I try to run them off, destructive burgers, worse that goats. Especially Whitetail. But still we have had bears, lions, coon, etc. My area is an old area but instead of the large fields, orchards and commercial gardens there used to be, it has been broken up. The newer people in are more city type and seem to have trouble using common sense. Keep cats and dogs in house at night. When going out at night check the area before letting the dog out and stay with. Keep the kids in at night. Especially little ones. The wild animals would prefer to not be seen but are getting people immune. That is the time for them to be removed or destroyed. It is a shame because 99%of the time it is humans that could have avoided their destruction. Make life miserable for them to be there. Keep them afraid of us. They are wild and should be left that way for their own good. I am a hunter and there is a place and time for thinning of numbers. Just don't you be the one to be the cause of wild animals being made unafraid of you.---Sorry this is so long but I have lived in areas that were theirs. Still do because I am near a river, camp in the wilderness areas and take precaustions. About messed my pants a few times (scared the lion as much) we just parted the bush from different directions and neither of us knew the other was there. Never had any bad thing happen, to me or mine in 60+ yrs neither did my parents in 90+yrs. Some maybe luck but most is using your head.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:37 PM

8 posts, read 30,961 times
We live in Loveland and have found 2-3 wolf spiders for the every year for the last three years. Two of them on the outside steps to our basement. One on our dogs head, (funny story) two in the garden and a bunch in the yard. We have had black Widows in our garage the years we did not use it much. I have yet to see a snake, but I garden and have heard them slithering away. We have more mice than anything! Makes me wish for more snakes. We live on a half acre lot south of town.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:16 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,633,186 times
I saw a big spider in the house this weekend. But I left it alone and it disappeared. I never kill spiders. It wasn't a wolfie tho.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,292,543 times
That picture is of a snake?! A wolf spider is harmless. Yes, bugs will come into houses in the fall, including spiders, and the solution is to seal your windows esp or spray around the windows and door sills in the fall. Regular dusting also gets rid of hatching bugs. In the spring, spray door sills and sidewalks to get rid of those tiny pesky ants. As for snakes, I would be only concerned about a rattlesnake, that likes dry wood piles and piles of rock. You only see those in the foothill areas or possibly more rural areas.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 AM

5 posts, read 5,034 times
Good now I can move next month Oct...I'm from California.. Raised and born..in bakersfield only thing I ever saw while riding my bike on bike path outwas a snake ...black and grey it was right in front of my bike..just so happen look down ....it freak me out I don't like sneaks..never saw sneak... Until 2013...yes we have mountain lions way high up...I hard of bike rider being attacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado