U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,538,872 times
Default Big Thompson flood of '76

Had some friends that decided to go home that day rather than picnic near the creek.
Very good decision in light of the events that transpired.
Big Thompson Flood of 1976

Last edited by proveick; 09-13-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 AM

1,931 posts, read 924,120 times

Here Comes the Water is a song by Chuck Pyle about the Big Thompson flood and a police officer who lost his life saving many others that night.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 AM

243 posts, read 117,329 times
I remember that night, but on the whole, this is worse.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 AM

2,949 posts, read 3,809,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnJam View Post
Yup. The ferocity and loss of life was much worse in '76 but last night the Big Thompson at Drake was a full foot higher than the record crest.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:22 AM

2,740 posts, read 4,430,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnJam View Post
143 people lost their lives in 1976. To my knowledge, no one has died in this Big Thompson flood. So how can this one be "worse"?

Old 09-13-2013, 10:40 AM

2,949 posts, read 3,809,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
143 people lost their lives in 1976. To my knowledge, no one has died in this Big Thompson flood. So how can this one be "worse"?
Water level and the sheer amount of destruction.

The '76 flood was so deadly because a) we didn't have the radar and early warning technology we have today and b) the rain came in a matter of 3-5 hours instead of 48-72. This flood, however, has set new river crest records in several places - including the North Fork of the Big Thompson at Drake and the Poudre at the mouth of the Canyon.

After you adjust everything for inflation, this flood will cost orders of magnitude more than the '76 flood because of the size of it. US34, US36, and Colorado 7 are all washed out. Parts of Lyons are under several feet of mud and rocks. Nobody really knows how bad it is in Jamestown. Longmont (St. Vrain), Loveland (Big Thompson), and Fort Collins (Poudre) have all been divided by rushing water. Nearly 1/4 of the buildings on the CU campus have sustained water damage of some sort.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:17 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,660,973 times
My parents & I were camping the night before the '76 Big Thompson flood in the canyon. I was 3 months old at the time. My dad woke at 1am & decided that the rain was just to much & we needed to get out. The next day it flooded.

My thoughts are with everyone affected by this weather.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:22 PM

8,517 posts, read 18,474,999 times
At least 3 dead, 20 missing - I remember writing a paper for high school about the Big Thompson flood. The sky is blue now, but the rain is coming back this afternoon.

Check out Suzco's post - this is effecting more than one river. Boulder Flooding? post # 20

Road closures can be found on COTrip.org take the camera tour aoound the state.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:22 PM

2,926 posts, read 1,745,718 times
I well remember the flood of 76. I used my office, with the help of the local newspaper and radio station, to find housing for those displaced by the flood. People called in if they had something that was vacant, that people could live in, and I passed this on to the FEMA office. By the time they were set up to start helping people, I had a long list of places to put people as I started the day of the flood getting places to go on the list in anticipation of the need, and we continued for days to get more.

Guest houses, a long unused apartment over a garage formerly used by their kids, a barn apartment for when they needed to hire someone on their farm, a room in their home for a single person, and anyplace else people could live. It was amazing how people all around the area, pitched in to help with a place to live. I was able to scrounge up enough housing that FEMA was able to house all the displaced. I feel that was one of the most helpful things I ever did for people, and will never forget it.

My wife volunteered at the FEMA office, to help people.

I no longer live there, but I hope that someone is doing what I did and taking the initiative to start finding housing for people. I know from experience the newspaper and radio stations will work with you to let people to know where to call. By the time FEMA is up and running there, you will have a list of places so they can start housing people. You can do it from your office, home, or anywhere you can take phone calls. I know it works, as I did it last time.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:00 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,525,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Water level and the sheer amount of destruction.

The '76 flood was so deadly because a) we didn't have the radar and early warning technology we have today and b) the rain came in a matter of 3-5 hours instead of 48-72. This flood, however, has set new river crest records in several places - including the North Fork of the Big Thompson at Drake and the Poudre at the mouth of the Canyon.

After you adjust everything for inflation, this flood will cost orders of magnitude more than the '76 flood because of the size of it. US34, US36, and Colorado 7 are all washed out. Parts of Lyons are under several feet of mud and rocks. Nobody really knows how bad it is in Jamestown. Longmont (St. Vrain), Loveland (Big Thompson), and Fort Collins (Poudre) have all been divided by rushing water. Nearly 1/4 of the buildings on the CU campus have sustained water damage of some sort.
Damages will always be more today then in the past because there are more structures in the path of the disasters to damage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado