Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 05:49 PM

835 posts, read 2,856,288 times

Advertisements

Its not for me right now. This is not easy to write as many of you all know about this kid "onthamove" who safley types about how colorado is pretty much his biggest dream and how after graduating HS early at 17 thought he'd go live it up in the Rockies...and as so many on this forum said its not easy, but i am young and stupid so i had to find it out for myself :P! I originally as many of you know planned on living in the Evergreen area because i love the MTNS and because snowboarding was oh so close by. But that didnt pan out and I am here saying thanks to those of you that encouraged me and to say you were right to the ones who said it was to hard you need more than a HS diploma, you were right i was wrong. So where am i going from here lol? Colorado!!!!!!! Only this time i am gonna be patient and not rush to get there afterall the gold rush has been over for some time now!! Thats right i am headed back to Colorado but not for 2 more years, i decided to do what i almost decided to do in August i am going to my local tech college and am going to learn to be an autobody repair technician, as you may guess this will take two years to complete but once i complete it i will more than likely find a job in Denver or somewhere along the front range maybe even up in Aspen or Vail if i get really lucky. And this time when i get hired at a job i will be making about triple what i am currently making, but once i gain experience in the trade i cud make bigtime bucks which will make my goal of living in the rockies more realistic. So i have a goal i want colorado really bad and i will have motivation behind me over the next two years to do good in this tech school cuz its leading me to Colorado and thats all i really care about in life right now, Colorado, its a goal one i am gonna have to work towards but when i get back to colorful colorado next time i will be much more finacially able and more mature as this experience itself has matured me alot.....all the driving through nowhere land gives u time to think and i did alot of thinking while driving across this great land, more than i proabaly did in all of Highschool lol. Anyway here is a kid living in kentucky whos heart is in the rockies and his car has got SIX different colorado realted bumper stickers on it!!! I love Colorado so much i am willing to wait for it no matter what, the best things like Colorado are soooooooo worth waiting on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 06:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Good plan! Best of luck to you! Thanks for letting us know what's up, too.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:15 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,078 times
onthamove
quoted:
Quote:
Thats right i am headed back to Colorado but not for 2 more years, i decided to do what i almost decided to do in August i am going to my local tech college and am going to learn to be an autobody repair technician, as you may guess this will take two years to complete but once i complete it i will more than likely find a job in Denver or somewhere along the front range maybe even up in Aspen or Vail if i get really lucky. And this time when i get hired at a job i will be making about triple what i am currently making, but once i gain experience in the trade i cud make bigtime bucks which will make my goal of living in the rockies more realistic.
As you know, you really do-not need to go to a trade school for being a autobody repair technician.
IMHO, which I hate tech trade school, because they are very over priced and the credits are not transferable to a college or community college.
I say if you really want to become an auto / body repair technician, work at the shop and set yourself up as a porter. Learn the field and show the other shop guys or manager/owner that you want to learn more. They will teach you. It's a trade and its a skill. Going into a trade school to do this is a waste of money and lot's of it.

I used to work at Pavillion Lincoln Mercury Ford. I wanted to do what you dream of. I had the opportunity and when I got there, it was not for me. Fun guys to work w/ in the shop, but I grew more into computer field.

I honestly say if you want to be a auto body repair technician, start off at the bottom and work w/ them guys. They will teach you how to do it. Its not hard and does not take a trade school to do it. Hope I helped.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
onthamove
quoted:
As you know, you really do-not need to go to a trade school for being a autobody repair technician.... I wanted to do what you dream of. I had the opportunity and when I got there, it was not for me. Fun guys to work w/ in the shop, ...
I honestly say if you want to be a auto body repair technician, start off at the bottom and work w/ them guys. They will teach you how to do it. Its not hard and does not take a trade school to do it. Hope I helped.
Good advice, kinda... I would definitely take it. I left home (in Colo) at 16 and always had 3 jobs + went to trade school and college too!

The trade really brought home the bacon for most my life, the college and trade school added credibility + opportunities (later in life... you won't always be able to turn wrenches FAST enough to make unit time / 2)
BUT>>>> I got a job in my field and worked it for 2 yrs PRIOR to doing trade school<<<<

You may find out that something else suits you better, nicer to find that out FIRST !!!

Get out and put in some 60-70 hr weeks while you are young, enjoy all the learning opportunities AND learn to appreciate those who will train you. There are some really great folks in the trades, and also plenty of not so great, but... you will find the ones who will help you get a solid experience edu., but keep your sights on getting some schooling when you find your 'spot' and feel like pursuing it. (even if you don't feel like going to 7AM classes when you get off swing shift at 2AM)

If you really desire Colo, I'd be making some plans to get on out there and find a job ASAP, find a room to rent in someone's basement, and work A LOT, and play A LOT. You will do fine, it's good experience and the 'learning' by stretching can't be beat. Get your residency and head to school in your free time. I liked working evenings, as pressure from bosses was less, crew was more fun (and smaller) you got to do more variety, as there are fewer of you (thus learn more stuff quicker) AND we got paid 10% more + paid lunch break and lots of Overtime. I was really in hog-heaven when I got raised to $2.35 / hr !!! bought my first house at age 19, for $28,000, and had to sell 2 cars I had rebuilt from totals for the downpayment... life was good I even had a big rubarb patch in the backyard 'yum' (wish I had one now)

Old 11-19-2007, 09:02 AM

yea i really want colorado and for me to make it out there how having a trade to offer will make it alot easier, i mean i was a cook at my old job and the money was not very good at all so figure that saving up tons of money will also help me over the next 2 yrs, anyone know anywhere in colorado where 20k would be a downpayment on a house??? lol i here idaho springs has some of the cheapest land in the high country with denver a possible commute anyway, anyway next time i head to colorado i am gonna be rich and have a trade :P

Old 11-19-2007, 09:42 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
yea i really want colorado and for me to make it out there how having a trade to offer will make it alot easier, i mean i was a cook at my old job and the money was not very good at all so figure that saving up tons of money will also help me over the next 2 yrs, anyone know anywhere in colorado where 20k would be a downpayment on a house??? lol i here idaho springs has some of the cheapest land in the high country with denver a possible commute anyway, anyway next time i head to colorado i am gonna be rich and have a trade :P
Depends, really does. On both my homes I got FHA.

my 1st home was zero down, but I did put $500.00. I got a 30 yr fixed loan.

On my 2nd home, I only put $5000 down, FHA loan w/ PMI (Sucks) and this is where we are at now. My interest rate is 5.33% w/ Wellsfargo. It really depends on your credit and more income does count. But putting $20K on a home to lenders eyes, I don't see why they really would not turn it down. Worse case, you walk away, they still have your 20K and then flip the house for more profit. bank usually wins this way. best thing is never to foreclose.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:25 PM

this really sucks i wanna be in colorado so bad it hurts right now cant wait for a for that 1-1.5yr to pass!!!!!!! thinkin bout summer school to push things along

Old 11-19-2007, 08:53 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,695 times
Good luck man................If you need a place to crash when you are visiting Colorado Hit me UP!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado