Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 PM

198 posts, read 1,274,841 times

Advertisements

Pueblo West is the major suburb of the Pueblo area. Its relatively much nicer than the north, east, and south sides of Pueblo. Those areas in Pueblo city limits are having a difficult time economically, and have high crime for a city of about 100,000 people. But, Pueblo West is a typical suburb. Decent homes and decent prices.

I love the Pueblo area, simply because i love the desert areas in CO a bunch. So the pueblo-pueblo west-canon city-florence-royal gorge desert area in SoCo is one of my favorite parts of colorado.

Crime is not really an issue in Pueblo WEST. However, north, south, and east pueblo have higher crime and more violent acts, and more gang problems and issues. Pueblo does have character though, and despite the negative remarks from others, and the negatives i have pointed out, it remains one of my favorite desert lands and places in general in colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 02:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzur View Post
...but honestly it is about the only place you will see Pueblo CITY cops because hey all live out there. (heck, they know Pueblo isn't safe)
You are right about many Pueblo City police living out here. I see their cop cars in front of their homes out here and they are actually out of their jurisdiction out here, but chose to live here for some reason.

But don't even try to tell me Colorado Springs is without crime and violence. That is just not so. I have a new neighbor who is military and moved here to P-dub to escape the Hee Haws' from your Fountain area... a ghetto imo.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You are right about many Pueblo City police living out here. I see their cop cars in front of their homes out here and they are actually out of their jurisdiction out here, but chose to live here for some reason.

But don't even try to tell me Colorado Springs is without crime and violence. That is just not so. I have a new neighbor who is military and moved here to P-dub to escape the Hee Haws' from your Fountain area... a ghetto imo.
You know whats scary???? Pueblo (100,000) is suppose to have almost as many gangs as the Colorado Springs area (625,000). However, the springs gangs are mainly concentrated on the south, southeast, and low east sides of the city.

Fountain is NOT a ghetto. I don't think the entire western united states has a true GHETTO, with the exception of maybe Compton, South Central, or East Oakland. Five Points use to be a "ghetto" but its changed as well. Our cities don;t really have ghettos, they have the "hood" if you know what I mean. "Hoods" are areas that can look bad or normal, with gangs, drugs, low or low to middle income, minority percentage is at least 50%, bad schools, etc.

"Ghettos" to me are areas with decaying buildings, homeless crack heads on almost every corner, no decent houses at all, gangs, bad schools, drugs on every single corner, etc. So they can have similar characteristics, but a ghetto is MUCH worse in my opinion. Thats not to say the "hood" is nice or minority "hoods" out west are nice, but not as bad as decaying ghetto's in some midwest, east coast, and southern cities.

Our cities out west will not look as bad as East St. Louis, South Chicago, East Detroit, East Cleveland, West Baltimore, Gary, etc. for a long time. Our gang areas aren't really ghettos with decaying buildings and such. I visited Baltimore about 10 years ago, and I have been to LA numerous amounts of times. No place in LA looks as "ghetto", or has been to hell and back as much as West Baltimore.

With that said, I know the southern places not in the springs city limits are not as nice as the northern suburbs. Fountain, Widefield, Stratmoor all tend to have more drugs, gangs, school problems than the northern suburbs. However, the areas in the springs that are the "hood" and have the most problems with gangs, low income, criminal activities, are probably the southeast, south (Meadows Park, South Nevada Ave), and lower east side that is south of platte ave and north of fountain blvd.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 PM

Yeah I suppose you're right about that.

Compton, Inglewood, etc. are expensive ghettos.

I'm just sayin' that Fountain is sort of like Dog Patch... without all the glitter.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Yeah I suppose you're right about that.

Compton, Inglewood, etc. are expensive ghettos.

I'm just sayin' that Fountain is sort of like Dog Patch... without all the glitter.
Yeah I can see what you're saying. Speaking of Dogpatch...the actually neighborhood in East Pueblo that people in Pueblo call "Dogpatch" (its really called "Eastwood" or "Eastwood Heights") is borderline "ghetto" and not just the hood. It's kind of like the Boyle Heights (East LA), Logan Heights (South San Diego), Sunnyside (North Denver), South Tucson, of Pueblo, if you know what I'm saying.

Certainly areas in the southern suburbs of the springs like Widefield, Startmoor, and Fountain can look sketch and have more issues than normal suburbs though, but not like those other areas in the springs.

Yeah its weird in CA. You can drive down Compton Blvd and it really won't look like a decaying ghetto or anything, but you know its the "hood". Its much larger than Montbello in Denver, but its kinda the same in Montbello. You can drive down Peoria St or Crown Blvd in Montbello and it won't look all that terrible, but you just know Montbello is the hood and lives up to the reputation. East Pueblo kind of has that reputation, not just to native Puebloans or Coloradoans, but other people I have talked to from New Mexico know that East Pueblo is the roughest area in Pueblo.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 18,094 times
My wife is having her third phone interview today for a position in Pueblo. We are looking to move to the area and are wondering if anything has changed since the previous posts have been added?

Current Location = Northern IL

Hobbies: Mountain biking, Dirtbiking/Motorcross, Hiking, Boating

Thanks
Steve

Old 05-18-2012, 11:58 AM

18,134 posts, read 25,664,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO.Native.SW View Post
Pueblo West is a typical suburb. Decent homes and decent prices.
Agreed. It's been several years since I've been in Pueblo West. Just a bit ago I was on realtor.com and checked out the real estate listings. A surprising amount of homes in the 90-150 thousand range popped up. I looked at one home on Bailey Dr. for $104,900. Built in 2005. Not a bad looking place! Right now Realtor.com. shows 224 homes for sale in Pueblo West.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-18-2012 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-18-2012, 12:09 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
It has really grown to with traffic. Highway 50 is starting to feel like any major highway in any larger city. When I was a kid there was no one on it and only stop sings at the intersections, not on highway 50 but one the streets that crossed it. Now they have stop lights and CDOT wants the highway to be 6 lanes with overpasses.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattegel View Post
Hobbies: Mountain biking, Dirtbiking/Motorcross, Hiking, Boating
I would say that Pueblo County has these hobbies covered.

Hiking could be done in the Wet Mountains area from between Rye and San Isabel and from San Isabel and beyond on Hwy 165. Boating can be done on Pueblo Rez, and this place will maybe give you info to the mountain biking.

The Dirtbiking/Motorcross stuff you'll have to see what Pueblo has right now. Folks used to ride in the Baculite Mesa area and there's that Pueblo Motorsports Park that I think is under the jurisdiction of the City of Pueblo;

SRAC MX Racing Feb-2010 at Pueblo Motor Sports Park on Mike Trejo's Access Unlimited-TV - YouTube

I don't see why you couldn't ride up Ophir Creek to the top of Greenhorn if you had a decent muffer on those bikes. We used to take our dirtbikes up St Charles Trail to the top, but I doubt you can do that now.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 22,941 times
Default Pueblo West vs. Pueblo

I have to say that whether you choose to live in Pueblo West or Pueblo is a matter of personal preference, and that to say Pueblo West is much nicer than other areas of Pueblo is an opinion. My husband and I moved here from another state, where we could walk to the downtown, and this is what we like, so we are centrally located in the Mesa Junction neighborhood. I like the mature trees and old, historic architecture and great walking score that this neighborhood has. Also, I like to garden, and I can grow a lot more here, with less difficulty, than in Pueblo West. I called the police department before we moved here to find out about crime in this neighborhood, and I was told that it was one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. After nearly 4 years here, we have found this to be true. My neighbor on one side, who has lived here for many years and is an older woman, never locks her doors! I wouldn't recommend that, but I'm just saying.....I also like the fact that there is an edgy artist element around here, and we actually have made good friends in this neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado