Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2006, 08:32 PM

55 posts, read 286,053 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are looking at relocating in the next 6 months and have a trip planned for November. We're going to be looking in the Boulder area and spend one day in Ft. Collins. My question right now is about the Boulder area - which towns best fit the following?

1. no more than 15 minutes from Boulder
2. quaint downtown of its own that's walkable
3. SAFE
4. Good schools (we have a 2 year old)
5. good parks, hiking...
6. ability to get a nice, updated or newish home for 400k
7. Doesn't look comletely like urban sprawl - has character and charm.

I've researched Louisville, Longmont, Lafayette, Superior, Erie...but it's so hard to really get a feel for a place from the internet. Any input? All appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 08:11 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Hi there,
Superior and Louisville (in my opinion) have a look and feel of urban sprawl, especially Superior. However, you can get a newer sizable house for about 400K, maybe a little more. Look at Lafayette, it's still Boulder Valley Schools, but less expensive. In Boulder, it would be impossible to get a newer house for 400K. The homes in my neighborhood go for about 700K for about 3500 sf, newer houses, nice look and feel. Boulder is very expensive. But the plus is that you are living in Boulder. It's safe here, don't let anyone tell you differently. There are the usual types of crimes, and I've never felt unsafe even with my 3 year old in tow. You get much more house for your money in Longmont, there are old and new neighborhoods there. People seem to like it. I personally think it's too far from Boulder, but people like it. It's a different school district in Longmont, so you aren't getting Boulder schools, but they are good too. You can't beat the outdoor activities in Boulder. You can bike from one side to the next barely going through traffic lights. Hiking is great too, but you can just load your bikes on your car and head to town if you live in Superior. Good luck in your search. It is hard to get a feel for places on the net, we are doing the same currently. We are actually relocating out of Colorado in the next 6 months. We will miss Colorado for sure.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:25 PM

45 posts, read 348,637 times
If I were to move again in the front range, I would either move to Longmont or Ft. Clns. I grew-up in Boulder and I really perfer Longmont. It is more affordable and has some really good family things (I have 3 myself), I commute from Loveland to Longmont (YMCA) and up to Boulder at least 3x/wk, usually more. Longmont offers a huge housing $$ range, and if you look on the west-side (west of airport rd) you'll likely be able to find newer in your price range - this will keep you within 20 min of most of Boulder. I plan 25 min door-door East Long to South Bldr. Boulder has it's qualities - don't get me wrong - it's just opportunity costs you'll have to weigh.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado