U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 PM

32 posts, read 100,035 times
Default Montrose San Juan Mtn area weather??

What are normal winter conditions like in this region? We are possibly relocating to Montrose from the midwest and are curious what we may be in for . Curious about snowfall, temps etc.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 05:44 PM

7,963 posts, read 15,294,799 times
Montrose is generally snow-free most of the winter--bare ground. Temps usually in the 30's to high 40's in the day--10-20 at night. The area from Delta to Montrose is subject to air inversions in winter and can have significant air pollution in valley areas, especially if there is snow on the ground and cold air settles into the valley. Most of the last few winters have been both drier and warmer than normal. The 90 day forecast is indicating that this year may be a repeat. I've been in the area on an assignment this fall, and it has been one of the warmest and driest that I can remember. There is a growing consensus that much of the region of southern Colorado and the southwest US is in the beginning years of a long-term drought period.

The San Juan mountains south of Montrose--in what used to be "normal" years--could receive very substantial snowfall. Much of that snowfall--contrary to the "urban legends"--usually comes in late winter and early spring (February-April). Quite often there is not a lot of snow in the San Juans until after Christmas or New Year's. Temperatures in the San Juans are often not as cold as some of the other Colorado mountain areas, but they can be quite cold. Again, the last several winters have generally been warmer than normal.

I have posted this before--but I caution that prospective residents take with a grain of salt the comments made by some posting on the forum who have not lived in Montrose or other areas of Colorado for very long. The weather in the last few years has not been "normal"--at least by historical standards. Whether what we are seeing now is the "new normal" because of climate change or not, I don't think anyone really knows. But it sure isn't typical for the kind of weather the region used to have. I and/or my family personally have over 35 years of history in that area--the climate now is definitely different from what it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado