Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 10,986 times

Advertisements

Just a warning to anyone planning a move to Northern Colorado. I have visited for two weeks trying to find a place to live and all of the cities were great: Loveland, Windsor, and Fort Collins are all great places. We also liked Eaton, CO, until we went there to start looking at properties. We were driving into town minding our own business looking at houses left and right, when we got caught in a "speed trap." We were written a $91 speeding ticket (The first ticket that my wife has EVER received), Because the police officers had a trap set up. Beware before moving to Eaton, CO we heard from several people after this that police officers in Eaton are after one thing: Speeding Tickets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 08:22 AM

783 posts, read 1,723,777 times
'Speed traps' are an easy way for cash strapped small towns to get some extra revenue - or so i've heard.

Also watch out on Hwy 287 btwn Ft Collins and Laramie Wyo and especially on the outskirts of Laramie.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:28 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,367,714 times
There's a really easy way to avoid speed traps--go the speed limit. I driven through Eaton many, many times. I've never had a problem--I go the speed limit, wave at the officer on my way by, he waves back, end of story.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:50 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,380,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
There's a really easy way to avoid speed traps--go the speed limit. I driven through Eaton many, many times. I've never had a problem--I go the speed limit, wave at the officer on my way by, he waves back, end of story.
hehe, nicely put. best way to avoid them, is not to speed.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 10,986 times
Default law enforcement in Eaton, CO

FYI - We don't speed, as i mentioned my wife had never had a ticket in her life. We thought we were going the speed limit. It was a trap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

Old 12-10-2007, 11:09 AM

205 posts, read 986,779 times
LOL...don't EVER visit FL if you don't like speed traps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madibri View Post
Just a warning to anyone planning a move to Northern Colorado. I have visited for two weeks trying to find a place to live and all of the cities were great: Loveland, Windsor, and Fort Collins are all great places. We also liked Eaton, CO, until we went there to start looking at properties. We were driving into town minding our own business looking at houses left and right, when we got caught in a "speed trap." We were written a $91 speeding ticket (The first ticket that my wife has EVER received), Because the police officers had a trap set up. Beware before moving to Eaton, CO we heard from several people after this that police officers in Eaton are after one thing: Speeding Tickets!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:17 PM

423 posts, read 1,953,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madibri View Post
FYI - We don't speed, as i mentioned my wife had never had a ticket in her life. We thought we were going the speed limit. It was a trap.
I have been through Eaton many times and the speed limit is clearly posted. You are blaming the police for your not seeing the signs. That is hardly a speed trap, but rather your mistake.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:30 PM

11,549 posts, read 52,918,471 times
Commuting between the Cheyenne area and down to Denver, I go through Eaton all the time. The lowered town speed limits there are clearly marked, and the town does aggressively enforce them. No different than all the other little towns along the road there, with the 65 mph zones between them. It's real simple to avoid a ticket on that road .... don't exceed the speed limit. There's no "trap" ... the patrol car usually sits out in plain view by the side of the road.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:47 AM

15,370 posts, read 38,982,589 times
LOL everyone that gets caught says it was a trap......

and YES I have been "trapped" a couple of times.....part of "payin my dues"

Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,034 times
Hi, I live in Eaton, CO. I'm sorry that you were ticketed for speeding in Eaton. I was wondering though... I've gotten tickets for 62 mph in a 45 mph zone and it cost me about $80. Just how fast were you going to be charged $91 ...errr, ummm this was a speed trap! Could it be that like most of us, you were just too busy looking at homes to look at the speedometer? What I can tell you is that it seems that I see more people being ticketed that are from out of state. If the truth be known, I would rather see our local police setting up a speed trap out in front of the Middle School, or in front of one of our Elementary schools. I've watched a mom come flying up in her Suburban going about 40. Her kids jump out and she takes off just as fast. One day she had to slam on her brakes because those darn kids were trying to cross in front of her in the crosswalk. If she hadn't been blabbing on her cell phone then maybe she would have seen the crossing guard. Sorry, but Eaton has our own problems. It's just that speed traps are not one of them. Like one of the other people who responded correctly stated. our police do park at problem areas for speeding, or running stop signs. I can tell you that Eaton has great schools. A very high average go on to a State University for a 4 year degree. Most people are friendly. Our sports are #1.
Please don't let 1 ticket ruin your chances of being part of a great community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado