Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 01:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 27,310,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
JazzLover wrote"

"...Heated square footages of homes are going to have to shrink, and that will raise havoc in the existing home markets..."

I think it is more appropriate to talk about heated cubic feet. Very high ceilings, huge multipe story entry atriums may not be as acceptable in the future.

Livecontent
Oh yeah? Well what if you're 15 feet tall? The air up here is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 01:49 PM

26,131 posts, read 48,769,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Oh yeah? Well what if you're 15 feet tall? The air up here is fine.
Dude! Yer from Texas, ain't ye.

s/Mike

Old 11-23-2007, 01:56 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,383,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I once lived about 5.5 miles up on Upper Bear Creek Road in Evergreen and the cabin actually had Natural Gas! Here in my part of Pueblo West, we're stuck with Propane! Like Mike, we can enjoy bills as high as 180.00 in the coldest months and in a good winter month, we see from 90.00 to 100.00 if I can control the thermostat. If I could put a lock on it, I might get it down to 80/month, but then Mrs. McGowdog would probably become scarce! So we don't want that. (Note: our home is a good bit smaller than Mikes!)

Now, I stayed with friends who lived in Conifer and this was the coldest place that I'd ever lived. At first, they just had the electric baseboard and their solution to the problem was to just freeze to death! They wouldn't turn the heat up to more than 50. Captain Morgan, flannel sheets, and flannel pajamas was our solution. Then they got the Fischer wooden stove. That helped if you were in the basement. Then they got the Pellet Stove. Say what you will about this and it's dangers, but this little gem saved a marriage from what I could tell. Mary had just about had it with going out and chopping wood and hauling it through 3 feet of snow just to warm up. So Pete got the pellets and for about 3 bucks a bag and a fan to blow that into the bedrooms, they could keep their home toasty day and night for about 90.00/month.

In the winter, our heat goes up and our electrical goes down. In the summer, visa versa. Being stuck with Propane is a consideration, but so is the fact that we don't have sewer. Our water is 40/month while the lawn is green and as low as 18.00/month in the winter. We have septic and leach lines on our 1.2 acre and it works. Sewer is a convenience that you pay for. For people with electric baseboard, heat is a convenience that you pay for.

As was mentioned by others, the combination of EBB and some other sources of heat may be very economical. The electric heating that utilizes radiant heat seems to be very efficient if done properly. I don't know much about this, but I've seen some of this at the Parade of Homes and I'd like to learn more about it.
My mother lived in a place for awhile that had electric radiant heat in the ceiling. Bad. If you lived on the ceiling, it was warm (like 90 degrees) but down at floor level (slab) it was about 65 or less. If you have radiant heat, it needs to be in the floor. The disadvantage there (especially if the house is on a slab and not a basement or crawl space)--if something goes wrong, you have a huge potential repair bill.

I have to agree with McGowdog, the "feminine thermostat" can be a real problem. (I can say this--I'm single.) Women as rule just seem to need to have the temperature higher. I'm perfectly comfortable at around 65-68 room temperature during the day and 58-62 at night. I also use a humifier to keep the indoor humidity at about 40% and that makes a lower temperature seem more comfortable. All of that said, the women that I have known seem to have to have the temperature at 75 or above to be happy. And, if you're living under the same roof with one, we all know that if she ain't happy--nobody's happy . . .

OK, now let all the gender flaming start. Of course, all of the women are probably out enjoying "mall mania" today. Oooh! I just couldn't resist.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:22 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,354,016 times
Jazzlover,

You always make me laugh,

For me, I keep warm with a small house, one small bed--and a large size women. and of course, a very low ceiling.

and I Live Content

Old 11-23-2007, 04:16 PM

60 posts, read 479,118 times
Default Wow! You guys rock. Thanks for the info....... So,

I have been looking at two properties that in the last month have been reduced over 10% on the original listing price and they both have electric baseboard heat which makes me think that buyers are staying away from them because of that. Would any of you know how much (ball park) it would cost to convert an electric baseboard to natural gas system? Say, a 2500/2800 sq. ft. 3 bed/3 bath house.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:38 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,485,069 times
[quote=jazzlover;2071524] (I can say this--I'm single.) quote]

What do you say fellas, let's go find someone for Jazzlover.

"....Find me a find,
catch me a catch..."

Old 11-23-2007, 05:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,354,016 times
[quote=Charles;2072358]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
(I can say this--I'm single.) quote]

What do you say fellas, let's go find someone for Jazzlover.

"....Find me a find,
catch me a catch..."

Should it not read "Want a Husband?" Another cow poke who doesn't know the front end of a steer.

You know if you read that sign correctly, Mr. Thomson is asking if someone "WANT A WIFE?" and that would be him. So, Mr. Cupid is looking for a husband.

Another western gay tale where a cowboy is looking for a western gay tail.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:41 PM

17,914 posts, read 27,310,293 times
Awe shucks! That was from my PG-13 collection!

I think JL would have approved, but you're probably right.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:34 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,383,997 times
Wow, we started talking about electric heat, and now somebody is trying to fix me up to get married. You gotta love free speech and the internet! I guess I opened the door for that . . .

Old 11-24-2007, 12:15 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,168,305 times
I would never buy a home with EBB unless the conversion to something else was priced in.

NG is cheaper compared to propane. Propane prices have gone up a lot. Once we get some extra money I am going to convert my house from propane to natural gas.

I like radiant heat much, much, much better compared to forced air.

I have been in homes with both baseboard hot water radiant and radiant floor. They both work great.

I find radiant heating so much nicer that if I had the money I would rip out the forced air in my house and convert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado