Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 26,468 times

Advertisements

get a pellet stove or something like it and tell the gas co to kiss your A !!! the ebb can be for back up of the stove or stoves .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 8,206 times
Default Electric Baseboard heat

I live in northeast Pennsylvania and currently heat my 960 sqft home with electric baseboards. My largest bill during the winter on budget has been 150 dollars. I do live alone but keep my thermastats at 65. What I would like to know is if I used propane space heaters (the only gas supply I can use) would that be sufficiant to heat my home and is there a formular to calculate the size of heater to buy? I have gone to so many sites that don't give a straight answer or require you to buy a program. My electric utility says that for now the most cost effective system for me is electric. Any help or advise would be great! Thanks

Old 12-27-2007, 01:38 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
In Virginia Beach where the winters were very mild compared to Grand Junction - CO, we lived in a poorly insulated 1300 sq ft house heated with oil heated force air. Even with the mild winters, oil bills ran about $1000 per winter, plus another $50 a month for the electricity to run the furnace. Here in G JCT, we live in a 2000 sq ft houe built in 1980. One of the rooms has 20 ft high ceilings ( wasted space ). The whole house is heated with Natural gas baseboard. Winter bills for Nat Gas & Elec run around $80/month total. The long south wall of the house is mostly glass, including a solarium, so we get a lot of FREE heat from the sun. Even if the temp is 20 or less, as long as the sun is shining, we open the solarium doors to allow the FREE heat into the house ( temp usually rises to 71 - 75 ). Even on the coldest sunny days, the furnace doesn't click on from about 10AM to 7PM. Gotta love FREE heat! Of course there is no FREE heat on the cloudy days...but...as we all know, cloudy days are a rarity in western Colorado. There's also a 1980's type solar panel on the roof that provides energy for about 30% of our hot water. We were told that the original owner of the house was an engineer with a keen interest in energy efficiency.

blessings....Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-27-2007 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-28-2007, 04:23 AM

18,601 posts, read 33,168,447 times
A note- if you have radiant heat in the floors (which I hear is very very nice) you don't have ductwork for air-conditioning, if the house is in an area where you think you'll need it.
I had propane when I bought a cottage that had been rural. The house was so leaky, it was impossible to tell how expensive the actual heat was. I had window quilts on the sliding glass doors, on the skylights, etc. I did put an electric baseboard in the loft because it was so cold up there (the floor was the former kitchen roof, and was insulated).
When the cottage finally fell apart, I built a 1250 sq.ft. house. By then, natural gas had been run on the main road, so I did have to pay to tap in, but it was affordable. I have forced hot air because I wanted a/c (eastern Mass.).
I think electric baseboards are by far the most expensive to run, and also have heard that they don't heat so well, as there's often furniture or bookcases blocking them.

I agree with the poster who said there are no good answers for heating, down the road

Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,155 times
I have electric heat-but I find that it is very unclean-my wall is dirty and curtain-Is this suppose to happen with electric heat-what can I do

Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianegarrett View Post
I have electric heat-but I find that it is very unclean-my wall is dirty and curtain-Is this suppose to happen with electric heat-what can I do
It isn't a function of the heat type, it's most likely a function of how readily dirty outside air can get into the house. If you live near city streets or unpaved roads, there is a large amount of dirt, dust, and exhaust filth from cars and traffic in the outside air. If this is introduced into the house through poor window and door seals, etc., it will get circulated around the house by whatever heat system is present. With baseboard electric heat or baseboard hot water heat, that dirt may show up on walls above the registers because that is where the air circulates the most. With forced air systems, the dirt will show up more readily around the air outlets. Forced air can actually be "dirtier" overall because it has to move more air and will actually "lift" into the air dust and dirt in the house and circulate it. Also, most forced air systems create a negative air pressure inside the house that encourages introduction of dirty outside air through any poorly sealed doors, windows, etc. A good air filtration system within the house can remove a lot of dirt and contaminants from the air, but many such systems--including some that are heavily advertised and marketed--have been proven to be largely ineffective in independently-conducted tests. Caveat emptor.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
In the 5 years since we first commented in this thread, the price of Natural Gas has fallen a good deal due to the glut of natgas on the market, making natgas an even more cost efficient source of heating and cooking fuel for most homes.

Meanwhile, Propane prices have not softened a bit, even with all the oil now coming out of shale formations via the fracking processes.

On a side issue, look at how natgas has remained cheap as a motor fuel, versus the rise of diesel fuel.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 AM

529 posts, read 890,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
In the 5 years since we first commented in this thread, the price of Natural Gas has fallen a good deal due to the glut of natgas on the market, making natgas an even more cost efficient source of heating and cooking fuel for most homes.

Meanwhile, Propane prices have not softened a bit, even with all the oil now coming out of shale formations via the fracking processes.

On a side issue, look at how natgas has remained cheap as a motor fuel, versus the rise of diesel fuel.
I live in the mid west, but am looking at a rental that is boarderline country and city. Its close enough to everything, but country enough for me to have my chickens and the neighbor to have his horses. The house has central heat, hot air and electric base boards from what I can tell. I have only driven by the house and seen it on the realtors site. We are actually seeing the inside this weekend. I love the house and the yard. They have the utility cost listed as approximately 300 a month, but the thread is making me think. I don't know what will happen in the future with gas prices and how they will affect heating, but now I'm rethinking. The house is lovely and was owned by an elderly couple that sold it and is not a rent / rent to own.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 AM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
Pellet stove.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,671,558 times
What no one is mentioning is the electric heat pump furnaces that cool and heat at the touch of a button. All electric, and does two jobs. Much more economical than other types of electric heat. Having lived on the front range for many years, I know that air conditioning is very important there or at least it was for us.

We have one now here in Montana, and it works great, and is reasonable in a 3,700 sq. ft, 4 level home (no basement of course), with a soaring 25 ft wall in the living room. We have natural gas for water heating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado