Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 8,929 times

Advertisements

I'm researching a new place to live, and here's what I'm after. For reference, I'm looking for a Seattle that's close to Texas with a lower cost of living. Boulder sounds good but is probably too expensive. More specifically, here's this is my wish list:

Within a few states of Texas (family is there).

Four season climate, would like some thunderstorms, maybe a little snow, some change in the seasons. Preferably not crazy humid like Houston. Preferably not punishingly hot long summers. More rain is better than less rain.

Within 50 miles of an urban center.

Farmer's market and/or a food culture.

Preferably not cookie cutter suburbs where everything looks the same.

Tolerable traffic.

Nice if I could walk or cycle to run some daily errands rather than drive.

Modest housing (say, 2 BR, 1500-2000 sq ft) in reasonably safe / gentrifying area for less than $200,000. Alternative housing like a loft or post-industrial site could work.

Tolerant population (eg, too many enthusiastic evangelicals would make me uncomfortable).

Decent local economy.

Reasonable price of electricity and utilities, taxes, general cost of living. Fast internet available.

Ice rink within 20 miles.

Not very important:

Public school quality (unless it would hold down real estate appreciation overly).

Job availability (I'm self-employed).

High tech medical facilities.

Any recommendations on places to check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 05:03 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Other being close to Texas, you just described Boise Idaho. There are alot of Mormons but there influence there is minimal. I don't know if any place is going to totally fit your bill though.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:12 PM

231 posts, read 390,576 times
Bartlesville, Oklahoma

Old 12-03-2013, 05:14 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Fayetteville Arkansas fits that description.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:31 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Yeah I thought about Feyetteville too, but pretty humid in the summer

Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Other than your budget of staying under 200k for a 1500-200 sq ft house, you described a lot of the places just outside the suburban hemisphere of Denver. Places south of Castle Rock, West of Denver but before you head up I-70 into the hight country resort areas, or north of Broomfield, but it will be pretty hard to find a very nice place at under 200k up there unless you get something really small. You can always go east, but it's an awful lot of prairie wind country. And as soon as you get much past the eastern border you'll have real humidity in the summertime.

You can find a little bit cheaper housing down in El Paso county (north of springs). But it does have bigger church-oriented population that people seem to fear as an intolerant bunch. (I don't, but many people do, and it's not entirely unfounded I guess)

Old 12-03-2013, 07:09 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Colorado Springs, especially that house for $200k. Look at realtor.com for zip 80920.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 AM

6 posts, read 8,929 times
Unless Bartlesville has changed since I last saw it 5 years ago, it won't fit the bill, but I'll look into the other places. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 AM

40 posts, read 178,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
You said that you would not want too many evangelicals. I am in the Fayetteville/Bentonville corridor area right now. Outside of the University of Arkansas campus area, it is hardcore conservative evangelicals that rule this land. They do not tolerate toleration, even middle-of-the-road religious or political mindsets. I get the religious and political litmus tests on a daily basis, and if you do not pass these tests, you will NOT prosper here.

This is Walmartville, ...no exceptions.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alostbard View Post
You said that you would not want too many evangelicals. I am in the Fayetteville/Bentonville corridor area right now. Outside of the University of Arkansas campus area, it is hardcore conservative evangelicals that rule this land. They do not tolerate toleration, even middle-of-the-road religious or political mindsets. I get the religious and political litmus tests on a daily basis, and if you do not pass these tests, you will NOT prosper here.

This is Walmartville, ...no exceptions.
I lived in Fayetteville for 30 years, that's not how I would describe it at all. And I've never seen what you are describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado