Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,452 times

Advertisements

hi there,

my bf and i are planning a trip to colorado leaving christmas night and staying until the 3rd of jan. we booked hotels in silverthorn and glendale springs..we plan to ski vail, breckenridge, copper mtn, sunlight and snow mass..if we can handle all of that....we wanted to drive we kind of like to see all the scenery and he has done it before but never in winter...everyone i talk to thinks we are crazy cause the roads will be horrible and i wont make it in my 2005 toyota corolla Please advise me and let me know what it is like out there...my car is fine out here but no mountains...should we change our plan??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 02:33 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,967,007 times
Wink If careful

You'll be okay, if careful.

If your Corolla has front wheel drive, it will be adequate. Just make sure you have the proper tires (you have to know this, don't just guess), as well blankets and all else usual for winter driving conditions. Also, plan on being flexible. If conditions warrant, you may end up in a motel somewhere along the way, waiting for better weather. That is, if smart enough to do so. This time of year you might experience anything: the weather and roads possibly clear and dry or quite the opposite. A moment by moment kind of thing.

Silverthorne is a good choice as a home base for the ski areas you mentioned. Even for Vail. You may wish to reconsider Glenwood Springs, being a bit more distant. Given the choice, I'd rather drive Vail Pass then the longer distance between Vail and Glenwood Springs.

It IS a long drive from Chicago to Summit County. And of course easier to fly into Denver and drive from there. But you might drive all the way and be fine. Just plan on being flexible.

By the way, unless you like crowds skiing anytime during Christmas not ideal. Just about the time you leave in early January is when you'll wish you could stay.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:35 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,828,231 times
I don't think it makes any sense to try do ski so many mountains, and in any case scratch Snowmass, it's way down by Aspen and a long haul. I'd stick with the Summit County ones. In fact I'd be tempted to just ski Breckenridge (or Keystone) Arapahoe Basin (I think the new lift is open) and Copper Mountain. You'll get enough driving just between IL and CO., don't add to it trying to drive all over the state.

Save some for your next trip, or until you move out!

golfgod

Old 11-25-2007, 03:47 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,477,965 times
Agree with the above replies -- Snowmass and Glenwood Springs is quite a far drive especially since you'll already be driving so much.

You could easily spend your days exploring the Summit/Eagle County ski areas in that time. Or you could spend your time just in the Aspen area and ski the four mountains there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado