U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 17,200 times

Advertisements

Sorry for posting on an old thread, but I have some relevant info. First, Wardcraft Homes is an excellent builder. Buy from them with confidence.

Go tour their factory, and that will dis-spell any myths about "modular" construction. These homes are like any other home. The only difference is they are built on a skid instead of a foundation.

We bought a new Wardcraft home in January of 2006, and we are delighted with it. Wardcraft delivered the home in one piece, and placed it on the basement foundation that I already had prepared. Homes can be delivered in one or more pieces, it just depends on your delivery area and complexity of house design. They set our house in about 5 hours. Wardcraft will build any home plan you want, or you can choose one of their stock plans.

The biggest headache about dealing with them is scheduling the delivery of the house. Weather is the biggest factor, which is beyond anyone's control. Patience is a virtue.

As for the comments about construction type, my home is listed as "frame" by both the bank and insurance company.

No, I don't work for or have any connection with Wardcraft other than being a satisfied customer.

Joe Michel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 PM

615 posts, read 2,762,051 times
Joe,

Thanks for the feedback on your experience. Hopefully, one day we will have a plot of land that we can build our "dream home" and we will keep the modular home construction as an option.

I do have a few questions, if you don't mind.

Where is it you live?
Did you have any problems with the city or county?
About how much per sq ft did you pay?
How long after the house was set before it was ready to move in?
Can the homeowner do some of the finish work (sweat equity)?

Old 01-04-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Joe,

Thanks for the feedback on your experience. Hopefully, one day we will have a plot of land that we can build our "dream home" and we will keep the modular home construction as an option.

I do have a few questions, if you don't mind.

Where is it you live?
Did you have any problems with the city or county?
About how much per sq ft did you pay?
How long after the house was set before it was ready to move in?
Can the homeowner do some of the finish work (sweat equity)?
McCool Junction, Nebraska

No problems with the village board, they are pretty easy going here.

We bought an American Tradition series home, about $59.00/sqft at the time. I know they have gone up since then.

In our case, we moved in about a month after the house was set.

Sweat equity? Absolutely! I did a lot of things myself! First, I did the electrical hookup myself. I also did all the supply and drain plumbing myself, including digging and connecting the sewer main.

After that, I installed a laminate floor in the kitchen, and them we painted the entire house on the inside. All that took a solid month of hard work, after which we moved in.

After that, I built and finished the attached garage myself. After that, it was time to build the deck. After that, it was the dirtwork, sprinkler system, landscaping and planting the yard. I finished the final project - a storage shed right before Thanksgiving.

For the entire project, I tried to do as much as I could myself. The only contractors I had was of course Wardcraft, someone to pour the basement, HVAC contractor, and a guy that did seamless gutters for me. That's it. The more you can do yourself, the better.

I have a website with pics of a lot of what we did. I got too busy to keep updating it, but it goes through to about June. If you're interested, the URL is http://home.alltel.net/jm44316 (broken link)

I'd be happy to answer any more questions you or anyone else might have.

Joe Michel

Old 01-06-2007, 12:48 PM

117 posts, read 476,531 times
Joe Michel
Were you able to purchase your home directly from Wardcraft or only through one of the authorised builders - we are looking at doing our own plan and not purchasing on of the stock plans, but would like to do as much of our own work as possible. Did they provide the delivery and insurance as well as the crane to set the house or were you able to arrange your own contractors to take care of that?
thanks

Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceankidz View Post
Joe Michel
Were you able to purchase your home directly from Wardcraft or only through one of the authorised builders - we are looking at doing our own plan and not purchasing on of the stock plans, but would like to do as much of our own work as possible. Did they provide the delivery and insurance as well as the crane to set the house or were you able to arrange your own contractors to take care of that?
thanks
You have to purchase the home working through one of their builders. If you buy a custom home, they will build to your plan. Our neighbors, inspired by the home we built, ordered one too. They are getting it delivered today infact. They went totally custom, having Wardcraft build a floor plan that they developed with the help of their Wardcraft rep.

When you order your home, you pick all your colors, options, and what not, and make a down payment. Come delivery day, the balance is due. The price you pay includes setting the house. Wardcraft will provide the equipment and crew to set the house. Trust me on this, you want THEM to set it, not some other contractor. They have done thousands of houses, and know what they are doing.

After the house is set, your Wardcraft builder will have a week or so of work on-site. The work includes fixing and cracks that may have occured in the drywall, finishing the roof, (if it was shipped dropped) and other detail work.

Joe Michel

Old 03-08-2007, 04:07 PM

117 posts, read 476,531 times
Default Modular in the La Plata county/Durango area

A quick question to revive an old post anyone have recommendations for the Durango area of companies that they have dealt with other than Wardcraft that entertain owner designed modular and allow owner to complete/sweat equity? Thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,337,406 times
Here in Colorado Springs, Antelope Ridge is a subdivision that is all modulars with a swimming pool, recreational house, etc. In Falcon, there are quite a few modulars on acreage.
Good luck!

Old 04-11-2007, 04:40 AM

476 posts, read 2,123,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceankidz View Post
A quick question to revive an old post anyone have recommendations for the Durango area of companies that they have dealt with other than Wardcraft that entertain owner designed modular and allow owner to complete/sweat equity? Thanks
I know Rocky Mountain Housing does build those. Google and type in the words Durango Rocky Mountain modulars without the quote signs, just use the regular words and it will pop up. On their website, if you dont have high speed internet, click to Home to avoid the long wait time for downloading pictures of homes, although if you have the time, nice pictures to see.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 14,206 times
I've been to the Wardcraft factory in Fort Morgan, and as a homeowner for 36 years, an engineer, a woodworker, and a "power DIY-er" I can say I was favorably impressed with everything I saw, including basic construction, methods, fit and finish. They had a ... 30' wide?... home that was trucked from Kansas in one piece, and if I could have I'd have bought it on the spot.

Other details... haven't been able to find out anything on perils and pitfalls of designing right foundations or finding someone reputable to build a quality foundation that won't go to he!! on the swelling soils so common here in Colorado. I'm not sure that the mass developers address that properly, come to think of it.

Nor have I been able to get budget costs on everything other than the lot cost and the premanuf home cost. I'd hate to start a home and then have it go 50-100% over budget because of unforeseen natural or construction problems, or just plain stupid. If so, I'd be living in the construction trailer!

If anyone can help with references to someone who can help with budgeting such a home, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:34 AM

476 posts, read 2,123,771 times
Well, I dont know if this will help any but there is a Colorado builders guide you can download at http://www.cbctc.com/buildersgd.htm (broken link) and may help some. I also used the words in Google
Colorado home building budgeting
and got alot of web sites, so you might go through those and see if any can help. Tinker around with words too since one right word can make a major difference in getting the right response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or