U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 59,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
You have to purchase the home working through one of their builders. If you buy a custom home, they will build to your plan. Our neighbors, inspired by the home we built, ordered one too. They are getting it delivered today infact. They went totally custom, having Wardcraft build a floor plan that they developed with the help of their Wardcraft rep.

When you order your home, you pick all your colors, options, and what not, and make a down payment. Come delivery day, the balance is due. The price you pay includes setting the house. Wardcraft will provide the equipment and crew to set the house. Trust me on this, you want THEM to set it, not some other contractor. They have done thousands of houses, and know what they are doing.

After the house is set, your Wardcraft builder will have a week or so of work on-site. The work includes fixing and cracks that may have occured in the drywall, finishing the roof, (if it was shipped dropped) and other detail work.

Joe Michel
Let me make a slight correction: You may purchase a home from one of Wardcraft's fine independent reps or from Wardcraft's in-house reps. They work in and for WCH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,805 times
Unhappy Can Anyone Shed Light on Modular Contractors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy58 View Post
Let me make a slight correction: You may purchase a home from one of Wardcraft's fine independent reps or from Wardcraft's in-house reps. They work in and for WCH.
Hello to everyone attempting to discover information about modular home building in Colorado. I'm at an impasse with my attempts. I researched our choices extensively and decided on a Systembilt home. They customize like others and build green. I hired an independent drafter who knows the company and has worked in modular floor plans for years. He drew up our basic plans. BUT the contractor who works with them and who would be responsible for preparing our homesite as well as doing the completion work is not responding to me as I'd expect. It's 4 or 5 days between communication and it's been going on for months. I'm ready to move forward with financing. I have elevations and floor plan in hand. However, I've grown weary and concerned about this contractor. Consequently, I'm considering another modular builder who has a more responsive team. The WardCraft modulars did not appeal to me originally. They seem---well---modular in appearance. However, I'm willing to talk to someone there and find out how responsive and custom they can be if Systembilt doesn't get their act together very soon. My question to you all is -- does anyone know of a contractor who will work with Systembilt and understand the company? I'm ready to build a customized modular home on our land in southern CO and I feel like I'm begging people to make money doing it! Any help you give is appreciated.

Last edited by elle3; 08-18-2008 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 10-10-2008, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle3 View Post
Hello to everyone attempting to discover information about modular home building in Colorado. I'm at an impasse with my attempts. I researched our choices extensively and decided on a Systembilt home. They customize like others and build green. I hired an independent drafter who knows the company and has worked in modular floor plans for years. He drew up our basic plans. BUT the contractor who works with them and who would be responsible for preparing our homesite as well as doing the completion work is not responding to me as I'd expect. It's 4 or 5 days between communication and it's been going on for months. I'm ready to move forward with financing. I have elevations and floor plan in hand. However, I've grown weary and concerned about this contractor. Consequently, I'm considering another modular builder who has a more responsive team. The WardCraft modulars did not appeal to me originally. They seem---well---modular in appearance. However, I'm willing to talk to someone there and find out how responsive and custom they can be if Systembilt doesn't get their act together very soon. My question to you all is -- does anyone know of a contractor who will work with Systembilt and understand the company? I'm ready to build a customized modular home on our land in southern CO and I feel like I'm begging people to make money doing it! Any help you give is appreciated.
I've been to Systembilt and they produce a great product. "Green" is a little more expensive at first, but it will pay off over time. I don't know which contractor you've been trying to work with, but Systembilt will work with any contractor you hire. They don't have a contractor "on staff." The contractor is responsible for all the site work prep (foundation, utilities, permits, etc). They also have to do the set and stitch (putting the house on the foundation and joining the units together) I also know that the owners have replaced all previous management since your post.

Systembilt uses SIPs (Styrofoam Insulated Panels) on the 2x6 exterior walls. They will also finish as much or as little as you want. I've seen one of their homes that has a ProPanel roof with a 6-12 pitch and dormers.

If you still want to build modular, call Systembilt directly at 719-738-1114 and talk to Donna. She may be able to give you the names of some other contractors.

I hope this helps.
MK

Old 10-11-2008, 04:51 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,434,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Looking at some listings on the web I see "Construction" listed as "Stucco", "Frame/Brick" and "Frame". Is this the "construction type" that you mention? If so, couldn't any of these be used, as applicable?
these are frame constructed. Believe it or not, there are custom designed modulars. Our office has had several contracts for designing custom modulars. We end up having to work very closely with the modular company to make sure our design fit the size they can build it in. It is actually an amazing site to see the facilities they build them in.
They MUST be built to meet current building codes, and in most cases they are built above the current codes due to having to transport the pieces on site. the beams between each piece is bolted together on site, and a foundation and garage are typically built by another company. It is hard to transport garage modules since they do not have a floor.

these are reminicent of the plan book homes of the 20's, you order your home from say Sears, and they would deliver everything you need down to the nails, the wood was pre-cut, and pre fitted. You only needed a hammer and a shovel to build. There are many of these plan book homes built in denver produced by several manufacturers like Sears and Gordon Van tine

Old 10-11-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
This is incorrect. Modular (factory built) and stick-built (site-built) homes must both conform to the same local building code. If the local code requires R-19 wall insulation, it'll be 2x6 exterior wall framing.
It is an unfortunate fact that Colorado has some of the worst nonuniform building codes in the nation, in particular with respect to insulation. Some cities and counties still allow R-13 or even only R-11 wall insulation (2x4 framing), even some within the greater Denver metro area!
This is an unfortunate result of Colorado's "Home Rule" law. Most states have a single uniform statewide building code; Colorado has an amazing patchwork quilt of codes, some up to 30 years out of date.
ColoradoENERGY.org - Colorado Energy Codes
Home can be built today in Colorado with inadequate insulation that's been illegal in most states for 20 years, including states like Washington which have much milder climates.
most of the suburbs of denver such as Boulder, Broomfield, Louisville, Westminster, Northglenn, Thornton all have extremly similar codes, they are all either 2006 or 2003 codes. Boulder being the most intense due to the HERS energy rating that ALL homes must go through. they all require 2X6 exterior stud walls, with a few exceptions. All require a minimum of R-19 in the walls, R-38 in the ceiling. and an R-13 drape in the basement.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
Double-wides are pretty easy to tell... they're nearly always simple rectangular floor plans with low gable roofs. Just look for the exterior trim strip down the center of either end.
But the nicest triple-wides, with vaulted scissor-truss ceilings, double-wide "great rooms", bay windows, skylights, added decks and porches, poured foundations, etc could easily pass for site-built.

Yes, with blown-in cellulose or foam insulation (not fiberglass batt).
Of course, that's really inadequate for Colorado winters.
Module homes are NOT the same as mobile homes, the construction is much different. Modulars are designed just like your standard home, including foundation. They are indistinguishable from other standard forms of construction.

lol!!! I just realized that I was replying to 2 year old posts.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,522 times
i live in Palm Desert Calif. (desert as it says) i have a new Manufactured home in a 55+ gold community. Do they have anything like that in colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or