U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2006, 08:11 PM

117 posts, read 476,443 times

Advertisements

Hi
Would love to know the general attitude/perception of quality modular constructed homes in Colorado - from the home buyer's point of view to the lenders. I have been researching the various products for a few years now and know that a custom designed modular home is a very viable alternative to a stick built home.

BUT every state has a different attitude to how this type of construction is viewed. In South Carolina million dollar homes are built, banks do not have a problem nor does the resale market. North Carolina - different story - has to be stated in the ad that it is modular and the market perceives them to be inferior. What do the locals feel about modular and are there any reputable companies worth researching?

Thanks to all who take the time to respond to the various requests for info - I love following the posts and we are incredibly excited about our visit this weekend!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 20 days ago)

10,883 posts, read 29,313,834 times
depends on the area in question, building one in the foothills seems to be the preferable way to go, in metro Denver you need a lot in a subsivision that is not covenant controlled, but plan on living there for 7 years or more, there is not as much demand for modular homes in Denver.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 PM

615 posts, read 2,761,705 times
There is a company in Ft. Morgan that says they can build to any plan. I don't know how good of a company they are but they are called Wardcraft Homes and their website is at http://www.wardcraft.com/. They do factory tours, so you can check them out firsthand.

We want to get some lot in Douglas County and build a home. I like the idea of the modular homes as they are reported to be stronger built, better insulated and erect on the site much faster.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:34 AM

827 posts, read 4,630,663 times
Modular homes are better built and you have to put them on a permanent foundation, as far as I know, in Colorado. The permanent foundation keeps it from sinking or warping over the years, like mobile homes can do, and it grounds them to the earth for better stability in storms.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:09 AM

117 posts, read 476,443 times
Thanks to all for responding - we will be looking to out of the city centre - 2 acres or more. Do you have to state that the home is modular when it is being sold? I guess ultimately it will be our permanent home, hopefully for a lengthy period of time, so everything changes with time!! If we are looking around Golden or Fort Collins are there areas that are recommended for land that would be around $100, 000, we do not want acreage that is too steep.
Thanks
Oceankidz

Old 10-19-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceankidz View Post
Do you have to state that the home is modular when it is being sold?
Maybe 2bindenver can answer that one, as I believe he is an agent.

Once the house is complete, you shouldn't be able to tell that it was built in a factory, so I wouldn't think it would be an issue. You can have a regular basement and everything else that a stick built home has. Maybe the biggest thing you will notice is that it has 2x6 outer walls as opposed to the 2x4 walls of a stick built home.

Land prices can vary widely by location and by what utilities are available. In many cases you may have to add a septic system, propane tank, and even drill a well.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:09 AM

Thanks for noticing. Yes, I am a real estate broker. 17 years now, but I am a she

In our MLS system Modular would be listed under Construction type.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
but I am a she
Sorry about that.

Quote:
In our MLS system Modular would be listed under Construction type.
Is that something that must be disclosed?

Old 10-19-2006, 05:45 PM

In our MLS system we need to identify the construction type, and it is a mandatory field.

What else could you call it? And no custom is not an option under construction type.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
In our MLS system we need to identify the construction type, and it is a mandatory field.

What else could you call it? And no custom is not an option under construction type.
Looking at some listings on the web I see "Construction" listed as "Stucco", "Frame/Brick" and "Frame". Is this the "construction type" that you mention? If so, couldn't any of these be used, as applicable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or