Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,892 times

Advertisements

I know there are many posts about where to live and places to go but since I am new on here, I have not had time to navigate yet.

I am graduating in May of 2008 and am planning to move to Colorado between June and September to get a nursing position AND have the Mountains in my backyard to play in (would love to hike all of the 14-ers eventually!). I absolutely love the outdoors and want to be able to live in a place that has a little of everything.

I'll be 22 when I get out there and will be coming on my own so a positive social scene may be nice for when I am not working (church groups, organizations or clubs, and the option of a night scene-which can be as little as a pub that serves regionally brewed beer, etc.). I would like to be able to have the small mountain town feel at times too where the people are warm and welcoming. However, if a hospital were nearby I would rather not drive more than 30 minutes if possible. I am really looking into hospitals with birthing centers or clinics that are women's hospitals/birthing centers.

I am open to anything really but am trying to find the best-fit town to call home for a while. I've visited CO every year if not more since I was 5 years old and have seen many great towns but do not know the viewpoint of actually living in them alone, as a new grad, in her 20's. I have heard Salida has a new hospital being built and I love the peaks close by in BV. Denver's Children's Hospital or Frisco's Summit Hospital all sound appealing too though...Does anyone have advice on towns like Gunnison, Grand Junction, Ouray, Creede, etc... How about "on the mountain" clinics?

ANY words of advice, suggestions, or opinions would be appreciated!
[moderator cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-26-2007 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Removed email to keep you from getting a million spams. Put it in your Profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 07:32 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Have heard jobs in the mtn clinics are very competitive (meaning, hard to get hired for). I would honestly recommend that a new grad get a job in one of the larger hospitals in Denver. You will likely work 3-12 hr shifts and have 4 days a week to play in the mtns.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 22,397 times
I agree. If you are looking for the social scene and a good place to work, go to Denver. You are within driving distance to almost anything you could ever want to do in the mountains. I live in Greeley and my husband and I take our 3 kids almost 3 hours driving to either winter park or Grand Lake at least 2 weekends out of the month.

Another option is Lovland, Colorado. It is about 45 minutes north of Denver on I 25. It is a wonderful town that has a lot to offer and you are right next to Fort Collins. There is plenty of social scene between the two towns. They have a brand new hospital and you would be only 30-45 minutes from Estes Park(another mountain town) and the Rocky Mountain National Park. You would also be close to Rosevelt National Forest offering all the summer mountain activities you can think of. For skiing you would still want to take the drive west on I 70 for all the best mountain slopes Colorado has to offer.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,892 times
Thank yall, that helps a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado