U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:09 PM

557 posts, read 668,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
LOL Typical conservative suburbanite assessment of downtown. Let me guess, you live in Wheat Ridge or Parker and only drive into "the city" a few times a year, each time complaining that it's getting worse, and always making sure that you shield the kids from unsavory characters. *Newsflash* 16th Street was dirty before A64, and there were a bunch of homeless people around long before January 1, 2014. Denver is a big city with some urban grit. Nothing new.

What you have is called confirmation bias and likely a skewed sense of who actually partakes in the usage of cannabis. For example, where I lived on the Western Slope, a lot of the dispensary customers were older, wealthy people from Utah. Not at all who you may expect. Many, many, many well-educated and well-employed people responsibly consume, much like you probably do with a glass of chardonnay on your patio.

Here's the thing- you can't have it both ways. If you're seriously going to attribute that much of a change to the city due to the legalization of marijuana, then you have to mention both the positives and negatives through that prism. After all, many areas, including neighborhoods like River North, Five Points, Baker, and Sunnyside (just to name a few) are rapidly becoming much nicer, safer places to be than they have been in the last, say 50 years. Thanks, potheads. !
Nailed it. I would rep you more if it would let me. And again just for mentioning confirmation bias.

As an aside, I would probably also add that people with this opinion of Denver's downtown probably haven't visited many metropolitan downtown areas. I think our downtown is great. But, a homeless guy asking for my food or a $1 doesn't frighten me either. A great majority of 16th street is for tourists. Not really knocking it, just acknowledging it for what it is. Panhandler's hang out in much larger concentrations where they know tourists and foot traffic are going to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or