U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:59 PM

557 posts, read 669,035 times

Advertisements

It's not as "readily available" across the nation as some of you seem to think. Of course it can be found, but there are plenty of people who would smoke/consume, but aren't interested in putting themselves at risk unnecessarily for a dime in other locales. Not to mention the sketch characters that you have to deal with.

I'd be shocked if it didn't give a bump to tourism. I seriously doubt the majority come exclusively for MJ, but there's a curiosity out there about it right now, and I could totally see people taking that ski trip, or Denver trip, or whatever now that there is an added "incentive."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 06:04 PM

11,112 posts, read 12,504,838 times
I think it will be a novelty with a lot of tourists taking photos of themselves standing inside one of those shops. I can't imagine anyone spending the money to come here just for marijuana, that seems kinda dumb.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,595,862 times
Just what any state wants, more pot heads!

"You know what would make this state better? more dopers!"

"Gosh I wish I had more pot head friends"

"you know what would motivate Jerry to get off the couch and go out and play? more pot!"

"Here I have the ticket for your lack of motivation..try this here pot"

"you know what this country club needs...more pot heads!"

"Hey Margret, the Jones are coming over for a dinner party, don't forget to grab the pot"

"Hey man let's go to Colorado, you don't have to smoke pot in your mom's basement"

Old 01-01-2014, 03:58 AM

40 posts, read 163,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Just what any state wants, more pot heads!

"You know what would make this state better? more dopers!"

"Gosh I wish I had more pot head friends"

"you know what would motivate Jerry to get off the couch and go out and play? more pot!"

"Here I have the ticket for your lack of motivation..try this here pot"

"you know what this country club needs...more pot heads!"

"Hey Margret, the Jones are coming over for a dinner party, don't forget to grab the pot"

"Hey man let's go to Colorado, you don't have to smoke pot in your mom's basement"
You know what would help with all that angst, hostility, and aggressive negativity? ... pot!

Old 01-01-2014, 04:41 AM

72,114 posts, read 83,786,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
I have been seeing a lot of talk about this, and I believe that it will boost much of Colorado's tourism. I know that tourism currently plays a huge role in Colorado's economy, with it's ski resorts and openness.

Could Colorado become the American Amsterdam?
Anyone who wants to smoke pot can get it almost anywhere. No, people will not flock to a state just because drugs are legal. People do enjoy visiting Colorado, because of its beauty but not because the state allows anyone to have pot, believe it or not, many people, even those who support legalizing it, do not use it and could care less. In fact my guess is: way over 1/2 of the population could care less. I doubt many in Europe go to Amsterdam just because pot it is the pot and prostitution capitol of the world.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:33 AM

557 posts, read 669,035 times
Again, it's not as easy as some of you think to get MJ elsewhere. Some of these comments reflect that:

Marijuana in Colorado: Green Wednesday live coverage

Old 01-01-2014, 09:44 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,860,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Just what any state wants, more Alcoholics!

"You know what would make this state better? more drunks!"

"Gosh I wish I had more alcoholic friends"

"you know what would motivate Jerry to get off the couch and go out and play? more Booze!"

"Here I have the ticket for your lack of motivation..try this here whiskey"

"you know what this country club needs...more alcoholics!"

"Hey Margret, the Jones are coming over for a dinner party, don't forget to grab the wine"

"Hey man let's go to Colorado, you don't have to drink alcohol in your mom's basement"
See how this works

Old 01-01-2014, 11:13 AM

9,672 posts, read 4,627,169 times
You can buy pot almost anywhere. Many police depts don't even bother with pot arrests anymore. They use their limited resources for other crimes. I think the tourist backlash with their new gun control laws will shrink tourism more than pot will boost it.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 6,402 times
@Floorist, That is not necessarily true. You should visit the following places in Texas if you want a good experience with the Cops, Cedar Park, Liberty Hill and Austin. I have been followed and pulled over because, "Your license plate was too dim," and then proceeded to search the vehicle and question the hell out of me. People that I have known that do not smoke at all have recieved the treatment of there vehicles being trashed by these men/women of the law searching for anything to throw them in jail. Even that has happened to me when I was going to work and texting on my phone in the parking lot of my work, vehicle turned off and everything just minding my own business. And my vehicle got trashed at least 5 cop cars were eventually there, and nothing was ever found, no one was taken to jail. Quite embarrassing when your employer sees you sitting on the pavement. This might not be everyones experience with the enforcement here, but I feel they are always looking for something to get you with, so no point to that here.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:37 PM

2,519 posts, read 3,548,856 times
Of course it will boost tourism. People within a local radius (neighboring states) would likely drive in for it and perhaps stay the day and do other local shopping/dining and people further away may be more likely to visit because of the added bonus of legal pot. I don't think that many will visit just for it, but there is a lot to do in Colorado, and this is now one more thing that would sway a vacation decision for those that partake.

As for the comments about not being able to partake in public or even in hotel rooms, this would be a big opportunity for people who rent out thier homes via places like airbandb or homeaway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or