U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,873,167 times

Advertisements

I suspect that a rather high % of those who partake of the cannabis plant are those having five to six figure credit card limits, and quite a few of them reside in the bible belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 09:11 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,341,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've beaten the federal illegality of the Colorado legalization amendment to death on this forum, so I will leave that alone here.

What I will say is that I agree with BarryK123 on the Amendment's potential positive effect on Colorado tourism. There will be very little. There will also be a number of anti-marijuana people who will avoid Colorado as a tourist destination. Colorado is already being called "The Pothead State" by a lot of people in other parts of the country--with that not being a positive statement about Colorado in their view.

There are far more threatening clouds around the Colorado tourist economy than the marijuana issue: shrinking discretionary spending capability in the most of the middle class, the increasingly negative perception about Colorado's mountain scenery due to the ever-worsening pine beetle epidemic in the state, long-term trends escalating fuel prices, a long-term demographic shift away from outdoor recreation, etc.
I have read your informative posts over the years JazzLover...and I have to say it cracks me up-as soon as I read this reply, I thought, wait this poster sounds familiar...sure enough. You don't give up, do you? I know what you are saying contains some truth, yet only one part of the truth. Kinda like that anecdote about people touching an elephant int he dark and each describing what is experienced....Your posts are kinda the debbie downer of CO posts. A much needed dose of information, however, so I sort of mean it as a compliment. Well, it says you, a native, have now left CO. I hope your new locale is a better fit.
As they say, the only constant is change, so CO was never meant to stand still. Still, it's sad to see positive aspects turn negative, I know.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:42 PM

35,162 posts, read 32,136,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That's quite a stereotype. I don't/won't smoke weed, but I know plenty of white collar, 6 figure earners here in Denver who smoke it every now and then. And I have plenty of poor, not-so-bright relatives who live in the Bible Belt.
What? I grew up in CO, moved to CA and the ratio of stoners who were kids of wealthy vs stoners who look like trash was pretty small. Most "real" stoners don't care what they look like. Think beer cans, body odor and dirty dishes.

I used to smoke a LOT. Pot is not exactly a motivating drug.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:44 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,280,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
There are certainly those cases. One of the resorts' major business problems is that they are losing family business--the guy that brings his wife and kids to Colorado for a ski or summer vacation. Many middle class families can no longer afford it. One of things that I've learned from some really good marketing people that I've worked with is that you do not want to alienate any of your current customer base when you go after another market segment, especially if you are operating in a mature industry where any new growth in customers is very limited (and that is where the current Colorado tourist industry is). Now, I don't think there are too many family people that really want to take their kids to a place where a drug that is illegal in most of the rest of the country (and still illegal at the federal level) is being freely sold for recreational use. And I don't think that the resorts catering to that family demographic are going to be too keen on marketing to people who would want to use marijuana on their premises. I could easily see it going the other way--where resorts and other tourist establishments absolutely prevent customers from even bringing MJ on their property--something that the business establishment has an absolute right to do. It's their property.
The resorts are making it clear that there is to be no pot smoking on their grounds. I don't think this will deter people from coming to CO to ski. And I agree that with the shrinking middle class, skiing is too expensive a sport for average people. I haven't been skiing in years, due to the price!

Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 PM

35,162 posts, read 32,136,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The resorts are making it clear that there is to be no pot smoking on their grounds. I don't think this will deter people from coming to CO to ski. And I agree that with the shrinking middle class, skiing is too expensive a sport for average people. I haven't been skiing in years, due to the price!
We used to get five dollar lift tickets at Keystone Those were the days.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,902,956 times
Legal marijuana is not going to fly at the ski resorts. Nearly all of them lease Federal land for their operations, and the Feds don't want pot smoking on their land. There is going to be a stories of skiers taking a break and are caught smoking a bowl on the slopes who will be kicked off the mountain and their ski passes cancelled. The ski resorts are not going to buck the Feds on this issue.

As for hotels, I bet some of the privately-owned motels will cater to the marijuana smokers, but the chains will not want to be associated with it, and most people who rent out their homes prohibit smoking in their houses. This leaves very few options for the out-of-state smoker.

What remains to be seen is the affect on our convention business. Will large groups continue to come here if their members have the opportunity to buy and smoke marijuana? I know that some people already do it, it will be a perception thing.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:04 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,846,636 times
I don't think that the convention business will tolerate it at all. Most conventions are sponsored by employers--often for their employees to attend--and most employers do not want marijuana in their workplace. For many conventions, "workplace" includes the convention, as the attendees are often there on "company time."

I agree with davidv, with one exception. I don't think that even the small establishments will cater to the MJ crowd, except maybe for the real fleabag motels. Most of the independent lodging establishments really don't want any kind of smoking in their rooms, anyway, and allowing MJ smoking (remember, still federally illegal) is not something that most of them would want to have happening on their property.

Another legal conflict that people don't want to see coming is where the MJ amendment conflicts with existing statute. A state court could rule that the Amendment supercedes existing state law, meaning, for example, that MJ smoking could be permitted in otherwise non-smoking areas covered under Colorado's Clean Indoor Act. Another interesting turn could be that pieces of the statutory and regulatory framework to implement the Amendment could be determined to be violating the Colorado Constitution because said statutes and/or regulations violate the "intent" of the Constitutional provision. I've been in those court fights about what the "intent" was on other state constitutional issues and it gets very ugly very fast. That is where, to paraphrase a post above, I actually DO see the whole elephant--not just the smiley face on the front.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:30 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,146,904 times
Let's hope so. We need it.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:07 PM

496 posts, read 703,996 times
I certainly wouldn't try debating jazz' assessment of ski and convention industries, but I will try to add something to the conversation. The use of pocket vaporizers and concentrates will ease some of the controversy regarding smoking and make most hotels/motels available. There may be some offsetting revenues from other kinds of conventions and big events - like concerts and "cannabis cup"s. There is also the potential for relaxing restraints on local coffeehouse, club, and restaurants catering to cannabis consumers. The new "cannabis tour" industry may boom, too. Some families include adults wanting to try it, at the same time they absolutely forbid it to their kids (just like alcohol). All in all, Colorado industries may just shuffle revenues and customers with little or no significant changes to overall tourism revenues.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,873,167 times
As with a breakout of just about everything, some initial glitches are likely to be encountered. Once the glitches come to light, they will be ironed out over time, and before ya know it....the recreational cannabis industry in Colorado will run like a well oiled machine. But that ain't gonna happen overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or