U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 AM

3,113 posts, read 4,912,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
I certainly wouldn't try debating jazz' assessment of ski and convention industries, but I will try to add something to the conversation. The use of pocket vaporizers and concentrates will ease some of the controversy regarding smoking and make most hotels/motels available. There may be some offsetting revenues from other kinds of conventions and big events - like concerts and "cannabis cup"s. There is also the potential for relaxing restraints on local coffeehouse, club, and restaurants catering to cannabis consumers. The new "cannabis tour" industry may boom, too. Some families include adults wanting to try it, at the same time they absolutely forbid it to their kids (just like alcohol). All in all, Colorado industries may just shuffle revenues and customers with little or no significant changes to overall tourism revenues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
As with a breakout of just about everything, some initial glitches are likely to be encountered. Once the glitches come to light, they will be ironed out over time, and before ya know it....the recreational cannabis industry in Colorado will run like a well oiled machine. But that ain't gonna happen overnight.
I agree about the vaporizers, and quite frankly, I wish that was how pot was consumed. I absolutely detest the smell of marijuana. I also agree that things will improve, but it will take a loooonng time.

Marijuana regulations can be changed easily, but marijuana prohibitions cannot.

The major restrictions that people complain about, most notably the fact that a person is only able to buy/possess 1 oz, and no public consumption is allowed are locked into the state constitution. There is no legislative fix, only another constitutional amendment can fix things. Here is what will likely happen:
1. Person tries to open pot cafe in his own building (no landlord problems) in next 1-2 years
2. Person is denied permit to open pot cafe and appeals decision (process takes about 1 year)
3. Person sues the government entity for right to open pot cafe (process takes 1-2 years)
4. Lawsuit decision (doesn't matter who wins, it will be appealed) is appealed to Colorado State Supreme Court (process takes 2 years)
5. Court rules. If the court rules in favor of pot cafes, then the process will have taken 5-7 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees. If the court rules against pot cafes, then the pro-legalization forces will have to spend lots of time and money to go through the amendment process to gain exceptions for pot cafes. This process will take a couple of more years.

The way the law was written, if favors people being able to buy small amounts legally and consumed privately. Interestingly enough, the restrictions in the Amendment are probably sufficient justification for the police to shut down any 4/20 demonstrations. Now that it is legal, there are no provisions for public consumption, and the political speech exception angle won't really fly anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 04:42 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,639,445 times
You can bet your lucky stars that the first "incident" even remotely involving legal Marijuana in Colorado is gonna garner national attention from the likes of Fox news & co. Like if someone who's never smoked before decided to partake now since it's legal and winds up calling 911 because they're too spaced out, then goes on a public rant against weed & the new law.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,678,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I believe you will see an initial boost of tourism at the beginning but after that the novelty will have worn out.
And then it'll be a non-issue, CO will get $60-$70M/yr in tax revenue and the right wing finger waggers, fear mongers and morality police will be wrong again. I'm booking my flight now.

Colorado marijuana stores sell $1MILLION in merchandise on first day of legalized pot | Mail Online

Old 01-03-2014, 05:54 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,887,787 times
Marijuana Overdoses Kill 37 in Colorado On First Day of Legalization

Old 01-03-2014, 05:58 PM

20,922 posts, read 39,222,985 times
I saw that earlier. I suspect some will think (or hope) that this humorous piece of satire is for real.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:10 PM

6,839 posts, read 7,904,721 times
So how does the new legalization laws pertain to employment and employer mandated drug testing in Colorado? Can they deny employment to a job candidate for marijuana usage, or let a current employee go if they show up positive for cannabis on a random or post accident test? I know it is still not allowed in regards to employees working safety sensitive positions that are federally regulated such as an air traffic controller or a locomotive engineer, but what about those employers that fall outside of this category? Unlike other drugs, THC remains in the body for many weeks for those who are regular smokers.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 PM

20,922 posts, read 39,222,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
So how does the new legalization laws pertain to employment and employer mandated drug testing in Colorado? Can they deny employment to a job candidate for marijuana usage, or let a current employee go if they show up positive for cannabis on a random or post accident test? I know it is still not allowed in regards to employees working safety sensitive positions that are federally regulated such as an air traffic controller or a locomotive engineer, but what about those employers that fall outside of this category? Unlike other drugs, THC remains in the body for many weeks for those who are regular smokers.
No one knows yet how employers may react. I suspect most will keep their prohibitions on MJ usage.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:59 PM

3,113 posts, read 4,912,320 times
Quote:
The answer to your question is yes. A Dish Network employee with a MMJ card was fired after a positive test. The courts upheld the firing.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 PM

6,839 posts, read 7,904,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
The answer to your question is yes. A Dish Network employee with a MMJ card was fired after a positive test. The courts upheld the firing.
Interesting. So, technically, the only people who can smoke it without worrying about the dark cloud of a random test hanging over their head's are those who are happily unemployed (slackers), retired people, and those self employed. What fun is legalized recreational use if you are living in fear of losing your livelihood?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,119,004 times
Quote:
Interesting. So, technically, the only people who can smoke it without worrying about the dark cloud of a random test hanging over their head's are those who are happily unemployed (slackers), retired people, and those self employed. What fun is legalized recreational use if you are living in fear of losing your livelihood?

I've worked for the same company for almost ten years. Never had to take a drug test. Don't know anyone else that I work with having to take one either.

It seems most of the people on here against legalization are those who have never tried marijuana. Like that one guy who insists marijuana can give you a heart attack but can't cite one instance where this has happened. Seems marijuana frightens people like him. I guess it's natural for some people to be terrified of something they don't undertand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or