Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 05:51 AM

211 posts, read 519,099 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing a lot of talk about this, and I believe that it will boost much of Colorado's tourism. I know that tourism currently plays a huge role in Colorado's economy, with it's ski resorts and openness.

Could Colorado become the American Amsterdam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 06:19 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,295,451 times
No. It's readily available everywhere.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
I've beaten the federal illegality of the Colorado legalization amendment to death on this forum, so I will leave that alone here.

What I will say is that I agree with BarryK123 on the Amendment's potential positive effect on Colorado tourism. There will be very little. There will also be a number of anti-marijuana people who will avoid Colorado as a tourist destination. Colorado is already being called "The Pothead State" by a lot of people in other parts of the country--with that not being a positive statement about Colorado in their view.

There are far more threatening clouds around the Colorado tourist economy than the marijuana issue: shrinking discretionary spending capability in the most of the middle class, the increasingly negative perception about Colorado's mountain scenery due to the ever-worsening pine beetle epidemic in the state, long-term trends escalating fuel prices, a long-term demographic shift away from outdoor recreation, etc.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:08 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
I believe you will see an initial boost of tourism at the beginning but after that the novelty will have worn out.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:42 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,029 times
I'm not quite up to speed on the laws, but as far as I know, you can not smoke weed in public, and there are no bars or restraunts where you can smoke correct? So if you come out here for pot, you can buy it, but can only consume it in your hotel? Not exactly Amsterdam.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
and there are no bars or restraunts where you can smoke correct?
Technically it could be legal to smoke in a bar if the bar is accepting; however, it looks like the first attempt at this fizzled out due to pressure from the City of Denver: City pressures nightclub to cancel private pot party | KDVR.com

Old 12-31-2013, 08:54 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,990,879 times
The cost of travelling these days ain't cheap. I don't imagine that many people will come to Colorado primarily for legal cannabis, except those who live close to the state line in a bordering state.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Technically it could be legal to smoke in a bar if the bar is accepting; however, it looks like the first attempt at this fizzled out due to pressure from the City of Denver: City pressures nightclub to cancel private pot party | KDVR.com
If you can't smoke cigarettes anywhere any more in public, I cant see weed being an exception.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:36 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,990,879 times
jazzlover wrote: I've beaten the federal illegality of the Colorado legalization amendment to death on this forum,

Yes you have.

so I will leave that alone here.

Thank you.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,115 times
Quote:
I'm not quite up to speed on the laws, but as far as I know, you can not smoke weed in public, and there are no bars or restraunts where you can smoke correct? So if you come out here for pot, you can buy it, but can only consume it in your hotel? Not exactly Amsterdam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Quote:
If you can't smoke cigarettes anywhere any more in public, I cant see weed being an exception.
Marijuana smoke was added to the Colorado Indoor Clean Air Act in 2010. The same prohibitions apply to marijuana smoke as to cigarette smoke. This means you may not smoke in restaurants, bars, etc. I don't see hotels catering to the marijuana crowd either as the smell will permeate the rooms, curtains, carpet, etc.

While you may smoke a cigarette in public places, smoking marijuana in public places is expressly prohibited by Amendment 64. The writers of Amendment 64 marketed the the legalization as treating marijuana like alcohol, and then they added several prohibitions to smoking marijuana into the amendment that are more stringent than those for alcohol. It is another classic example of people voting for a title and not reading the fine print.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado