U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:59 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times

Advertisements

DrQ

Before moving ANYWHERE I strongly encourage you to spend some time in the place where you are thinking of living. Even a weekend visit will give you more relevant information than reading a thousand posts expressing someones opinion of the place. I assure you that a visit will be time, money, and energy well spent.

Someone mentioned Grand Junction as another alternative. I live here and I think it has alot to offer, but that is merely my opinion. There are many chiropractors located here already, but if you are a competent practitioner AND a good marketer, you'll do OK.

Best Wishes with your relocation.

Many Blessings.......Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:39 PM

83 posts, read 110,573 times
My husband moved to Craig in 2005 for a job. We are originally from S. Cal and were moving from Las Vegas. After visiting the town, I realized I could not live there personally. We decided to move to Steamboat which we were fortunate enough to be able to. Every town has things about it that some love and some do not. The problem I personally have with Craig is that they have not kept up the community. The movie theater is a mess, there are only two restaurant's worth eating in and though there are some decent neighborhoods a good portion are not kept up and the grocery stores leave something to be desired. Meth is a huge issue in the community. That being said, my son went to school there for one year and made several friends who came from good families. There is a lot of trouble you're kids can get into,drinking and drugs are a problem due to boredom. There are good kids if your kids gravitate to that element. For adults many nice home town people. The sports programs for kids are outstanding, but the coaching can get a little rough. The education was substandard. Deer run through your yards especially in the winter and the Yampa Valley itself is beautiful. Again, I live in Steamboat which gets way more snow then Craig. I do not find the winters in Craig hard at all. The snow comes but the streets are clear in a few hours. We have a lot of sun in the winter as opposed to gloomy days. They are building a Super Walmart to compete with Big K so there is your shopping. Home Depot is two hours away. Malls in Grand Junction or Denver. Contrary to what is written the area is booming again. Lots are selling like hot cakes and housing is increasing since many can't afford to live in Steamboat and commute. To be honest, I would live in Hayden which is 15 minutes from Craig if I had a choice. Much smaller, fewer issues but easy driving to both Craig and Steamboat for groceries, movies etc. Hope this helps.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:16 PM

30 posts, read 181,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docow34 View Post
What can you tell me about Craig? Housing? High school (2 teenagers)? Weather? Community? Taxes? Everything else a newcomer would need to know...Thanks!!
Newspaper: Craig Daily Press The Craig Daily Press: Front page

As someone else has mentioned the town is a bit run down. Even those it's grown some it has been kept up as nicely as it should be. There's a KMart and a new Wal-Mart being built there right now. Village Inn, Subway, and other fast food. Housing and schools I couldn't tell you because our family members have had homes there a long time and well out of school. It's a diverse area. As mentioned meth use may be a problem there, as it is in a lot of communities now.

It would be worth visiting it first.

Good Luck!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 9,284 times
I will be in Craig for the month of August and would appreciate suggestions/advice. While I doubt I'll have much free time, can anyone suggest anything specific I shouldn't miss seeing or doing in the area? Do any of you have suggestions on where I could rent a room/apt for 1 month only?

Peace

Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,242 times
Default Craig, Colorado

I live in Craig. I have lived here for 16 years. This is a really nice town to live in and raise kids. The winters are a little too long and cold, but I think that the elbow room makes up for it. We have a new Walmart opening in a few weeks, a KMart, plenty of fast food, a nice bowling alley, new hospital being built, proposed new middle school, a new Walgreens starting to build, actually alot of new things coming in. I would say that this town is in a mini boom...probably because of oil, gas and coal. We also have a golf course and are 40 miles from skiing, and about 25 miles from a small airport. Traffic isn't bad and lines in stores aren't bad. It's comfortable, and there are alot of outdoor activities during the right seasons. Great town.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 19,848 times
Post Moving to Craig, need advice

Hello,
We are moving to Craig Colorado from Indiana because of a family situation and I am just wondering what we can expect when we get there?

Q. Is the job market good for people who don't have a college education?
Q. Is affordable housing available? Or what would one expect to pay for a 2 bedroom house (renting)
Q. How many months out of the year would you say that its cold?

I'd really just like to get some opinions on Craig itself.

Thanks so much!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:37 PM

5 posts, read 34,413 times
Get used to listening to Spanish, there is lower income housing, it is cold about 6-8 months out of the year...

and last but not least...Just remember...you can always escape to Steamboat Springs!

Old 06-28-2008, 02:29 PM

4,876 posts, read 9,622,106 times
Because the cost of housing in Steamboat is so high, a lot of people live in Craig and commute to Steamboat every day. So there may be some competition for housing. However, if you are moving now you are better off because you won't be competing with seasonal workers at the ski area.

I lived in Steamboat for three years and assume that the weather in Craig is similar since it's right down the road. Winter is from about October to May, meaning that there's a lot of snow on the ground and around about March you'll be driving down to Denver to see something green. Don't know much about what's in Craig for shopping, etc. Go to the city-data home page and type in "Craig". All sorts of good information will come up.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:18 PM

5 posts, read 19,848 times
Thanks for replying. It seems there are a few different opinions of Craig after reading some posts on the forum. We are moving to Craig to be with our daugther and our new grandbaby. We had signed up for job opportunities to be emailed to us from some of the local areas and it seems like there are a lot in and around Craig. Since we'll be living with our daughter for the first month or so we are hoping that finding a job won't be too hard.

Thanks for writing back.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:16 AM

6,530 posts, read 10,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I lived in Steamboat for three years and assume that the weather in Craig is similar since it's right down the road. Winter is from about October to May, meaning that there's a lot of snow on the ground and around about March you'll be driving down to Denver to see something green. Don't know much about what's in Craig for shopping, etc. Go to the city-data home page and type in "Craig". All sorts of good information will come up.
I lived in Craig for 8 years growing up and even though they're 40 miles apart, the climates of Craig and Steamboat are VERY different. Craig sits on the eastern edge of a high mountain desert and the landscape in and around Craig is dominated by sagebrush, prickly pear cactus, scrub oak, and other small brush. Granted there are trees in Craig proper, but once you get out of town you won't see many of them. Steamboat has a lot more trees and lush vegetation.

Craig is sunnier and drier than Steamboat year-round. Craig also tends to be 5-15 degrees warmer than Steamboat Springs.

That being said, your first and last freezes are typically in mid-September, and early May, respectively.

The job market is dominated by coal mining, ranching, and the power plant. My dad has worked at the power plant for 23 years now and he doesn't have a college education.

Compared to the rest of the overpriced real-estate market in Colorado, Craig is still fairly affordable. The house prices themselves may be higher, but the state's property tax rates and homeowner's insurance costs are very low.

"Shopping" (if you can call it that) has gotten much better in Craig since I lived there. They have a Wal-Mart now and 2 chain grocery stores, Safeway and City Market. Craig also has a K-Mart, but with Wal-Mart on the scene I think its days are numbered. If you want to do any real shopping - malls, etc, you'll have to drive to Grand Junction, 160 miles southwest of Craig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado