U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:34 AM

15 posts, read 53,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martytaffy View Post
I live in Craig. I have lived here for 16 years. This is a really nice town to live in and raise kids. The winters are a little too long and cold, but I think that the elbow room makes up for it. We have a new Walmart opening in a few weeks, a KMart, plenty of fast food, a nice bowling alley, new hospital being built, proposed new middle school, a new Walgreens starting to build, actually alot of new things coming in. I would say that this town is in a mini boom...probably because of oil, gas and coal. We also have a golf course and are 40 miles from skiing, and about 25 miles from a small airport. Traffic isn't bad and lines in stores aren't bad. It's comfortable, and there are alot of outdoor activities during the right seasons. Great town.

It has been 10 months since you posted this. Can you give me an update of the area? How are the schools? Is there an area that is better than the other as far as raising children?
Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:52 AM

6,522 posts, read 10,191,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMOMMYof5 View Post
It has been 10 months since you posted this. Can you give me an update of the area? How are the schools? Is there an area that is better than the other as far as raising children?
Thank you in advance!!
Most of my family still live in Craig. What would you like to know? The schools are average to slightly below. The district has a difficult time recruiting and keeping good teachers because of the area's remoteness. That being said, I went to school in the district from 5th Grade on and came out with an IQ higher than a turnip.

There are a handful of elementary schools, 1 junior high, and 1 high school. The school's aptitude rankings can be viewed at

Denver Post: School Accountability Report (SAR) and Colorado Student Assessment Program (CSAP) results (http://www.denverpostbloghouse.com/csap/index.php - broken link)

The district in the selection box is Moffat County Re:NO1.

As far as raising kids, there isn't a lot to do in Craig. City Park does have a wave pool and a regular swimming pool, but they're only open from May/June to late August/early September. The closest town with any appreciable entertainment value (besides skiing) is Grand Junction, and it's 160 miles away.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:27 AM

bluescreen73,
Thank you very much for your response.
Do you know if the high school offers dual-credit courses? How close is the nearest college? My oldest will be a junior this year and he is signed up to take dual-credit courses.
How much attention is their athletic department given? My 4 older children are very athletic.
Do you have any idea what the current population for the area is? How is the housing situation? Is there an abundance of rentals or will it be near impossible for a family of our size(7) to rent?
How about the safety of the area? Is the town large enough that there is a 'good' side and a 'bad' side of town?
These are just some of the questions I can come up with right now. If you have any additional information about the area that you think I might be interested in, I would love to hear it!!
Thank you again!!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 AM

TXMOMMYof5,
First off, you must have the patience of Job. I only have 3 kids and there are days I want to pull every hair (that's left) out of my head. 5 kids and I'd have to be committed.

I don't know if the high school offers dual credit courses but their website may have some info for you.

Moffat County High School (broken link)

Colorado Northwestern Community College has a campus in Craig and your oldest can take college placement courses there if he/she desires.

The nearest 4-year school is probably Mesa State College in Grand Junction. If you're interested in athletics, Mesa is a Division II school. The nearest D-I schools are Colorado State University in Fort Collins, The University of Wyoming in Laramie, and CU-Boulder.

The high school athletic department is big, but not by Texas standards. The football team has made the state playoffs a handful of times over the past few years and the current coach, Kip Hafey, is a former classmate of mine.

The girl's basketball team and the swim teams are also fairly highly regarded. The high school actually has an indoor pool.

The current population is between 9 and 10,000. The area is definitely experiencing a boom due to all the natural gas exploration south and west of town. It's already been covered, but most of the housing is older - late 70s/early 80s. Those are the houses that were built during the last boom.

I don't know about the rental market, you might want to call one of the local realtors to find out about that. The town newspaper's website has some banner ads for realtors.

Craig Daily Press / Craig, Colorado, News and Information

The town does have an image problem because of a high concentration of methamphetamine busts. Whether this is due to a real problem that's above the national average or aggressive law enforcement remains to be seen.

There's only one really bad area of town. Near the Ridgeview Subdivision on the west side of town is Columbine Apartments. Columbine is a lower income apartment complex and they have had issues with crime in the past. There are a handful of mobile home parks in town, some seedier than the others.

What part of Texas would you be relocating from? The reason I ask is because Craig is not the typical postcard location one would associate with Colorado. People fall in love with Colorado's mountains, the greenery, the trees, the lakes, etc. That's not Craig.

All of that is within an hour or so from Craig, but Craig is more like the Permian Basin or the Chihuahuan Desert. If you're from El Paso, Midland/Odessa, Lubbock, or Amarillo the flora are similar.

There are no high mountains in Moffat County. The highest point, Black Mountain, is "only" 10,815 feet and can easily be seen from the higher areas of town.

Moffat County is also the 2nd largest county in the state. At 4,700 square miles it's just slightly smaller than the state of Connecticut.

Anything else I can answer for you?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM

bluescreen73,
Thank you so much for that reply!! The school information was great! It looks as though it is larger than the one my children go to now.
I am in East Texas. So I'm guessing the outdoors will be a bit different? The farthest west I have ever been is Fort Worth. The farthest south would be Houston or San Antonio. I have only traveled to those places once.
Thank you again!!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMOMMYof5 View Post
bluescreen73,
Thank you so much for that reply!! The school information was great! It looks as though it is larger than the one my children go to now.
I am in East Texas. So I'm guessing the outdoors will be a bit different? The farthest west I have ever been is Fort Worth. The farthest south would be Houston or San Antonio. I have only traveled to those places once.
Thank you again!!
TXMOMMYof5,
You're very welcome. Sorry it took so long for this response. The high school is big because it was built during the last boom in the late 70s/early 80s. It was also built on unstable soil and has slowly been sliding down the hill ever since . The outdoors will definitely be a lot different than the piney woods. It even snows there and the overnight low is usually below zero a few days during the winter. I'd invest in an ice scraper and heavy winter coats.

If you have the opportunity I would definitely suggest a trip to Craig before moving up there to get a feel for the area. Getting a hotel room might be difficult due to the natural gas boom and the temporary workers it has brought to the area. Also, elk hunting is HUGE in and around Craig and the motels will be booked solid when hunting season starts.

If you do decide to take a trip there, I suggest you visit the Museum of Northwest Colorado on the corner of Yampa Ave. and 6th Street. Also, if you have a car that can make it up a mountain, head up to the top of Black Mountain and take in a view of the valley below.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 12,171 times
Default I am also looking for advice about Craig

Hi,
My wife and I are considering a move to Craig for a job opprotunity that she has at the hospital. We visited last weekend and it was about what we expected. I have a couple concerns and was wondering if anyone had any information.

1) We are both pretty progessive in our political views and non-religious. Will we have a tough time meeting like minded people here? I know that this is a pretty conservative, religious area but is there a small minority of people more like us?

2) We are in our early 30s is anthing to do here socially? I know there is a pretty big parks and recs department and lots of hunting and outdoor activities.. but is there anything else? I like to boat, bike, kayak, fly fish. I

3) It seems that most of the people in this community are associated with the power plant and energy development. If we are not in those circles will we be shut out?

4) Everyone in Craig thinks they are in for another boom due to energy development. We want to buy a house but most of the homes look really crummy and not much new stuff has been built since the last boom. Most new homes are modulars. Im concerned about resale value if we buy a nice home. If the area goes bust again.... Is the boom for real?

5) What kind of options are there for rural internet service? We want to buy a home in the country (out of town) but my job requirs a good internet connection.

6) There are like zero places to rent in Craig. Why is this? Why are there not more homes if the demand is there?

7) Is Hayden an option? 20-30 minute commute but there does not seem to be much to Hayden except overpriced new homes...

Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Ethan

Old 10-06-2008, 10:43 AM

Hey Ethan,
It seems like I'm the de facto person to answer folks' posts about Craig. I'll give you my advice with a nugget, rather than a grain, of salt. I haven't lived in Craig in 16 years; however, most of my family is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyinvestor View Post
1) We are both pretty progessive in our political views and non-religious. Will we have a tough time meeting like minded people here? I know that this is a pretty conservative, religious area but is there a small minority of people more like us?
To say Craig is fairly hardline conservative would be the understatement of the century. There were 3x more votes cast for Bush/Cheney than there were for Kerry/Edwards in '04. That aside I wouldn't call Craig overtly religious, either. My folks don't attend church and they're hardly ostracized for it.

Quote:
2) We are in our early 30s is anthing to do here socially? I know there is a pretty big parks and recs department and lots of hunting and outdoor activities.. but is there anything else? I like to boat, bike, kayak, fly fish.
What kind of boating do you like to do? Plenty of folks boat at Elkhead Reservoir, about 15 miles east of town. Some travel to Flaming Gorge or Red Fleet Reservoirs in eastern Utah - about 150 miles away.

Biking isn't huge around Craig, but once a year they hold the "Where The Hell is Maybell" ride. It's a 30 mile trek from Craig to Maybell.

I've never done it but I imagine you can kayak the Yampa and it'd be a decent trip through Dinosaur National Monument.

There are a lot of places to go fly fishing. The Green River in Dinosaur National Monument and Trappers Lake in the Flat Tops Wilderness Area are 2 popular locales.

Quote:
3) It seems that most of the people in this community are associated with the power plant and energy development. If we are not in those circles will we be shut out?
I don't think they'll shut you out if you don't work at the plant or one of the mines. Ranching is also huge in and around Craig.

Quote:
4) Everyone in Craig thinks they are in for another boom due to energy development. We want to buy a house but most of the homes look really crummy and not much new stuff has been built since the last boom. Most new homes are modulars. Im concerned about resale value if we buy a nice home. If the area goes bust again.... Is the boom for real?
Craig may well be in for another energy boom. Natural Gas companies have been trying to get the state to open up more of the Vermillion Basin northwest of Craig. Plus the natural gas development on the Roan Plateau, along with possible oil shale development on the Colorado Plateau will impact Craig.

Most of the houses in Craig were constructed during the late 70s and early 80s when the power plant was built and added onto. My parents live in a 30 year old house, themselves. There's always the chance any boom could go bust.

Craig (and Hayden) are benefitting from all the big money being plunked into Steamboat. Home prices in Steamboat are ridiculously out of line with the average salary because all of the multi-millionaires and their vacation homes. This can only benefit places like Craig and Hayden as people find they just can't afford to live in Steamboat.

Quote:
5) What kind of options are there for rural internet service? We want to buy a home in the country (out of town) but my job requirs a good internet connection.
If you're not living in Craig proper you may have to do something like HughesNet. Craig itself does have broadband although I'm not sure of who the players are.

Quote:
6) There are like zero places to rent in Craig. Why is this? Why are there not more homes if the demand is there?
Can't explain why the builders haven't come in to build, but the rentals are most likely occupied by transient workers in the natural gas industry. Roughnecks and the likes.

Quote:
7) Is Hayden an option? 20-30 minute commute but there does not seem to be much to Hayden except overpriced new homes...
Sure. Hayden's an option, but you're right there's not much there.

Hope that helps.

Neal

Old 10-06-2008, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 12,171 times
Default Neal thanks for all the info!

Neal,
Thanks a lot. I appreciate it!
Best,
Ethan

Old 11-01-2008, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,885 times
Default job market is great

okay so as long as your not a felon and can pass an 8th grade level test you can have a great job starting around $19/hr or more in craig... people are friendly... cold for the better half the year but not too bad, until dec, jan'ish... housing is relative to the job market... while the rest of the world is going to **** we are still spending and doing our part to save the economy in craig... 2 bedroom house anywhere from $700 to $1400... depending on when the person bought the house and where the pipeliners and oilriggers are working at the time...
it's a great place to live... friendly, safe, and lots of great outdoors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwondering2008 View Post
Hello,
We are moving to Craig Colorado from Indiana because of a family situation and I am just wondering what we can expect when we get there?

Q. Is the job market good for people who don't have a college education?
Q. Is affordable housing available? Or what would one expect to pay for a 2 bedroom house (renting)
Q. How many months out of the year would you say that its cold?

I'd really just like to get some opinions on Craig itself.

Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado