Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:17 PM

79 posts, read 227,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I lived in Craig for 8 years growing up and even though they're 40 miles apart, the climates of Craig and Steamboat are VERY different. Craig sits on the eastern edge of a high mountain desert and the landscape in and around Craig is dominated by sagebrush, prickly pear cactus, scrub oak, and other small brush. Granted there are trees in Craig proper, but once you get out of town you won't see many of them. Steamboat has a lot more trees and lush vegetation.

Craig is sunnier and drier than Steamboat year-round. Craig also tends to be 5-15 degrees warmer than Steamboat Springs.

That being said, your first and last freezes are typically in mid-September, and early May, respectively.

The job market is dominated by coal mining, ranching, and the power plant. My dad has worked at the power plant for 23 years now and he doesn't have a college education.

Compared to the rest of the overpriced real-estate market in Colorado, Craig is still fairly affordable. The house prices themselves may be higher, but the state's property tax rates and homeowner's insurance costs are very low.

"Shopping" (if you can call it that) has gotten much better in Craig since I lived there. They have a Wal-Mart now and 2 chain grocery stores, Safeway and City Market. Craig also has a K-Mart, but with Wal-Mart on the scene I think its days are numbered. If you want to do any real shopping - malls, etc, you'll have to drive to Grand Junction, 160 miles southwest of Craig.
Is the Kmart still in Craig?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 04:16 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill1971 View Post
Is the Kmart still in Craig?
Yup, but it's only a matter of time before Wal-Mart does it in.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:34 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Yea, I was in there and not a lot of business was going on. Store was clean and organized though, was through there last fall. I prefer Kmart to Walmart basically because I can get in and out of there faster when it comes to shopping.

Bluescreen73 basically covers the bases on Craig. I like the area myself, but it's been 35 years since I worked and lived there (worked on the first power plant in mid 70's). Yea, a number of the neighborhoods were built in the 70's after the power plant was constructed, Craig actually was half, maybe two thirds the size as it is now before the Yampa Valley units went in.

Got cold? Oh yea, Craig fits the bill all right during the winter, yuppers it does! If you're into fishing and camping, Trappers Lake fits the bill. Technically, it's east of Meeker but you can reach it from Hamilton (just south of Craig) off state road 317. Elkhead/Ralph White reservoir is ok, as is Steamboat Lake and Hahns Peak Lake, north of Clark.

One of the things I always see in Craig during this time of the year is the deer sitting in peoples yards. Take 789 north, want to see deer? Yep! Even now I bet there is a foot, maybe more snow sitting in peoples yards.

You want solitude? Take state road 318 to the old Ladore school, it's been designated a national landmark. Loop around to Powder Wash, and back to Craig. Want to get away? That's one way!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-18-2010 at 04:42 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Extremely tiny town. Isolated.

1. No jobs. None of the small towns in colorado are doing well in this economy.

2. Yes. Affordable housing.

3. October through March is cold.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:44 PM

79 posts, read 227,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Yup, but it's only a matter of time before Wal-Mart does it in.
Thanks for the reply. I'm a small town shopper. I don't go to Wal-mart. After all its big company's like them is the reason I can't start up a farm or small outfit of my own,They ate up all that was left of the American Dream. I won't give them my dime. I chose to grow my own grocery's. Hunt my own meat. I buy eggs, chicken, pork and beef from a local farmer. It tastes a lot better! Craig CO. sounds like a good small town. Is there Main St. businesses, or is Wal-Mart eat
them up too!!.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,651 times
I don't know when this thread started or how long it's been on, but I live in Craig.
It seems to me that Craig is turning less conservative all the time.
As for housing, we have one out of town on the market. We eat beef from our place, grow our own food in a greenhouse, hunt and buy eggs and milk really cheap from a neighbor down the road.
There are plenty of businesses on Main st.
Know of anyone else wanting a nice 5/3/2 on acreage 10 min from town?

Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
Well....I'm looking for a couple acres to build a lil log cabin on. Somewhere in that broad area...away from it all I reckon.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 AM

I don't know of any raw land for sale. However, I could recommend a very good Realtor in the area. We will list with him if It takes too long to sell our house.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Extremely tiny town. Isolated.

1. No jobs. None of the small towns in colorado are doing well in this economy.

2. Yes. Affordable housing.

3. October through March is cold.
I know the mines are hiring. My husband was offered a job there. I think the power plants may be too.

Craig is a very friendly laid back town. It's cold, but the snow is fun to play in! The summers are WONDERFUL!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-20-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,214 times
Default Moving to Craig

Hello all.

My husband and two daughters are looking to move to Craig co and was wondering any info you could tell me about it? He's looking to get a job at the mines, we currently live in Arizona and he works for a mine there. Any advice/comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado