U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 05:14 PM

15 posts, read 57,677 times

Advertisements

Drove through there in early October and I was curious of the area.

Thanks for any information.

Gillette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 AM

136 posts, read 567,375 times
Default Craig: Please tell me what its like

I'm interested in learning about Craig and that region. I've got a job possibility out there, but don't know anything about the area. Please tell me your impressions about it, whatever comes to mind. I have no young children so am not too interested in the schools, but want to go into this with my eyes open if I go in at all. Thanks for responding.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
For years, Craig was a pretty quiet ranching community. During the 1970's and early 1980's there were several large coal-fired power generating units built there along with a big coal mine to fuel them. The area boomed. Once the plants were completed, along with a decline in energy prices, Craig "busted." A lot of the transient workers left. Gas drilling is now causing the area to "boom" again. Craig itself is, in my opinion, a pleasant enough community. I don't live there, but travel through there periodically and I do know people who live there.

The climate may be a consideration. Craig can get pretty cold in the winter, and can have snow on the ground for much of the winter. It's close to good fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, and skiing. There is some gorgeous mountain country near Craig, but it's not obvious from the town itself. An outdoors person would like it, unless you're in to the granola-crunching, spandex commando stuff. Steamboat, 40 miles east, will float your boat for that.

Real estate isn't cheap in Craig, but it's definitely more reasonable than the resort areas. Scenically, northwest Colorado is not as generally spectacular as other parts of the state, but it's not as overrun with "turistas" and the attendant "development" that is ravaging other places. In some ways, I guess I would have to say the overall "atmosphere" in Craig is more typical of neighboring Wyoming than of Colorado.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 18,566 times
Default Question about Craig

Hello,
I have an opportunity to purchase a chiropractic practice in Craig. My significant other and I are concerned about the quality of life in the Craig area. We now reside outside Phoenix AZ and are not liking the polution levels. I am an avid skier, like to ride motorcycles, and generally lead a physical life. My significant ofther is concerned/worried about how rural it is and the brutal cold temps. Seeing a weather site doesn't realyy explain the true conditions. She loves Durango but I dont have the same opportunity that has presented itself in Craig.
By the way I hope that Jazzlover sees this and comments as I appreciate his/her candor.
THX
Dr Q

Last edited by Dr Q; 05-17-2007 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-17-2007, 10:30 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,742,357 times
My aunt and uncle live in Craig. It is about an hour from Steamboat, so if you like skiing you can go there. Unlike Steamboat it is not a resort town at this point. My aunt and uncle like the smalltown life there -- he's a part-time rancher and works for a local builder full-time. They did try moving to Oregon once and were back in six months -- they preferred the life they had grown up with. (Where everyone knows your name, that sort of thing).

Winters in Craig are a lot colder than its relatively low elevation would suggest. The landscape there is not quite as scenic as Steamboat is, although the sagebrush-covered range has its own beauty.

Economically, the area is in tough shape -- it's a little bit too far yet from Steamboat to really cash in on resort and tourism, but its old mainstay, ranching, is not really economically viable anymore -- most ranchers are part-time and just barely hanging on. Many residents commute to Steamboat for better pay, but it's a long haul. Oil /Gas and shale development may eventually come to Craig and provide an economic shot in the arm, but so far not much has happened in oil and gas there compared to Wyoming to the north, the Green River valley to the west, or the I-70 boomtowns to the south.

As for isolation, the airport in Hayden (about 30 minutes away) services the whole area (Steamboat, Hayden, and Craig) and has a surprising number of direct flights for a rural area, so you're not really disconnected from that perspective. However, you're a long drive from Grand Junction, probably the nearest real city in that area.

Sounds like your job option isn't directly transferable, but another option to consider (if you could) would be Grand Junction. It has milder winters and economically is much better off. Your S.O. might feel more comfortable there.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Dr Q

Meg,
So what have you learned about Craig that influenced your dedcision to either move or not move to Craig. I am very interested in your reply. Jazzlover seems to run hot & cold on Craig. I'd like to move there but certainly don't want to make the wrong move.
Dr Q

Old 05-17-2007, 05:25 PM

Unhappy Dr Q

WOW TFOX you seem somewhat down on the area of Craig, but I am seeking the truth. I appreciate that you donot see all areas through rose colored glasses. I was under the understanding that Craig in the boom of gas drilling rather than oil and that this had pumped up Craig's economy from several years ago. I did a comparison of weather to Durango and it looks like Craig is definately colder+/- 10 degrees in jan,Feb & March. I can handle it but my SO might not do so well and that's not a good thing. So the surrounding area is all range? Is it all brown? How far to the mountains? Can you see the mountains. Do the small town people accept people that come in and buy a business or do they stick to thier own? The economics of my opportunity is a fairly decent one on my behalf but not if the towns people don't take to newbies. What else can you tell me about Craig?
THX
Dr Q

Old 05-26-2007, 05:53 PM

26 posts, read 122,526 times
Default Craig CO info please

What can you tell me about Craig? Housing? High school (2 teenagers)? Weather? Community? Taxes? Everything else a newcomer would need to know...Thanks!!

Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
tfox gives a good description of Craig. My friends there do tell me that the expansion in gas drilling in the area (much of it north just over the line into Wyoming) is boosting the economy some. I was through there on Friday--you do see a lot more trucks and activity associated with the gas drilling than was the case even a year or so ago.

As to housing, I don't think as much new housing has been built there compared to most other rural Colorado locations. A lot of housing was built during the power plant boom in the late 70's. There are still quite a few mobile homes, too. As tfox said, it's not a resort like Steamboat or umpteen other yuppie resort ghettos. I don't consider that a bad thing. Craig resembles more of a typical Colorado town of a few decades ago--in another words, a more "normal" small town with small town values. I like Craig for that.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:36 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,742,357 times
Dr. Q, to answer your questions:

I think you're right, gas has helped the local economy some, but I think to a much lesser extent than other areas. I haven't been up there in about a year, so perhaps things have accelerated in the last 12 months. However, Western Colorado is a boom and bust area, always has been, always will be. Recent history has been more bust than boom, but as you pointed out, energy could be starting a boom, and in the distant future, once Hayden becomes more or less built out, resort tourism/trophy homes/ranchettes will probably make their way to Craig (much to jazzlover's disgust I'm sure!) Thankfully, I think that's a long ways off -- even Hayden has only recently started to experience that kind of development.

As for mountain views, the Yampa runs right through that area in a broad, relatively flat river valley with sagebrush covered hills and bluffs on either side of the valley. From a high vantage point you can see mountains in almost any direction, but in town much of that view is at least partially obscured by the lower hills. If you've been to southern / southwestern Wyoming the landscape is similar -- rugged, sagebrush covered hills with mountains in the distance. Craig/Moffatt County and Jackson County are probably two places in Colorado that have as much in common with Wyoming as Colorado.

As for friendliness, it's not that there's a suspicion of outsiders: mostly there's a suspicion and fear of the kind of change that Steamboat has seen -- the kind that drives all the locals out of town. I'm sure you'd understand why that might make the locals nervous. As long as the locals sense that you're wanting to be part of the Craig that's there now and has always been there, then you'll be accepted, no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado