Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 01:17 AM

319 posts, read 604,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I was so irked because it was cloudy, but looks like it didn't matter.
It appears to have fizzled, but better to be aware of a higher-chance than normal to spot it, rather than sleeping through it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 12:29 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,528 times
Neditate is correct that the Kp index has to be around 7 for us to see it "down here". It never got above 4.
Saw the aurora here in the summer of 2003. It was red and nothing like I expected!
I agree Isotope C14. I don't want to go to bed not knowing there's potential for it and hear about it the next day. That's why I sign up for the alerts. Someday going to Alaska, Iceland or Norway.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:35 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Neditate is correct that the Kp index has to be around 7 for us to see it "down here". It never got above 4.
Saw the aurora here in the summer of 2003. It was red and nothing like I expected!
I agree Isotope C14. I don't want to go to bed not knowing there's potential for it and hear about it the next day. That's why I sign up for the alerts. Someday going to Alaska, Iceland or Norway.
I saw it once on a flight from San Francisco to Frankfurt as the plane went far north. It was very pretty from the air.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:48 PM

319 posts, read 604,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
I've seen it blow over my vacation location in Western Ontario.

Beautiful green sheet on the horizon, with a bottom edge of red, The curtain kept getting closer, and eventually was above us. It lit the ground like some eerie kind of moonlight. When it was overhead it looked more white with blue hues, absolutely amazing. Brighter than the most light I've seen during a full moon.

Here's some other amazing ways to learn about the topic:

NOVA is still awesome. I find the guy who does the "how stuff works" has a bit of a grating personality, but overall those are worth watching as well. These two talk about the sun and space, and the secrets of the sun, is without a doubt, one of their best. It's quite well done and explains why they can predict solar cycles.

NOVA | At the Edge of Space

NOVA | Secrets of the Sun

According to the graph, the solar cycle progression, they are pretty spot-on, we will have our solar activity maximum here within the next year or two, and then once again into a quiet phase.

Space Weather Now

Ok, good luck for the next CME event!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado