Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 PM

315 posts, read 462,567 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I visited Colorado for the first time back in October and immediately fell in love (who doesn't, right??). Stayed in Breck, explored around Fairplay and Frisco, then decided to hit up Woody Creek tavern via Aspen through Independence Pass, making my way through Leadville along the way.

I've been contemplating moving ever since I got back from my trip. I just graduated college last month and got my bachelor's, and while I don't have a career-based job lined up, I do currently have a solid job allowing me to work remotely, provided that I have a stable internet connection. Now that I'm no longer tethered to Indiana by school, I'd like to relocate to Colorado and need some advice.

I would really love to live in a more rural area in the mountains, away from big crowds (out of season anyway), and I need some thoughts on what might be the best bet.

My job doesn't pay a whole terrible lot, but I'm single with no kids, and have very little debt (small car payment that is almost paid off). I currently make $31k/year with lots of potential for OT when needed. I realize that what I'm looking for in terms of a place to live means limited employment opportunities in the future.

I really loved Leadville (those views, wow!), but I've also been looking at Buena Vista and possibly Salida as areas that might be worth a shot.

Could I get by on my current salary in these places by renting a small apartment or home? I'm in no hurry to find a new job if I can get by with my current one, which is why I don't have the urgent need for employment that some others face when moving across the country (and especially to a rural/remote area).

Other than isolation, long winters, and limited employment, can anyone give me any advice or perhaps point me to a town that I might have overlooked?

I plan to visit the state again in the spring and do some more scouting.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 01:15 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,597,071 times
Unless you have experience in small towns or are super set on trying very small, I'd lean toward trying Salida first of the ones you mentioned. If you want more remote, make that the second hop after getting better acquainted and situated.

In that general part of the state, you could also consider Gunnison, Canon City or Woodland Park.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:39 PM

I'm from a small town (roughly 4,500 people), so I'm familiar with life in places like this (and all the good and bad that comes with it). Thanks for mentioning the other towns, I'll also look into those as well.

Any idea about how I would realistically get by with my current pay in any of these places?

Thanks for the reply!

*edit*

Woodland Park looks really interesting! I'll have to visit in the spring. Thanks!!!

Old 01-11-2014, 04:38 PM

11,548 posts, read 52,913,295 times
[quote=interloper1138;32975739]

Any idea about how I would realistically get by with my current pay in any of these places?

[quote]

This is an income level which typically allows folk to live in the area ... but in shared housing and with minimal expenses/obligations. You may be able to survive, but that's about all .... SFH rental rates will keep you out of that market, and small apartments aren't that plentiful once you leave the tourist areas.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:22 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,887,431 times
^^^

Oh, I don't know. What's the guideline? You should pay about a third of your income on housing? And most people these days pay more than that. Unless I did my math wrong, this formula would give OP around $850 - $900/mo to pay for rent. For that sum he should be able to get a one bdrm place in Woodland Park or Salida. Manitou Springs ( east of Woodland and to the west of Colorado Springs) is another nice Front Range town where it's possible to get decent housing in that price range.

If not, OP could get adventurous and check out the Western Slope when he comes out in the spring. Montrose would be a possibility as would Grand Junction. Paonia is another nice small West Slope town in that price range. There are actually any number of possibilities.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,573,774 times
I think that the OP could get an apartment or small rental in Salida/Buena Vista area for under $1,000 per month. Agreed that Salida is slightly larger and has more going on than BV, especially in the off-season.

I just checked Craigslist and didn't find much, but maybe you could look at ads in the "Mountain Mail" which is the Salida paper.

Just realize, OP, that there are a lot of young people coming to both BV and Salida in the late spring to work for the rafting companies, and they will be grabbing up the cheap rentals.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:20 PM

Yeah, realistically I could make $800/month work but it would be an adjustment to my current standard of living. I could stretch to $900 if I committed to OT every week, but I'd rather not for the sake of not being trapped indoors all the time. I will say that I am by no means picky about apartments/houses/studios, as long as the area is not ridiculously sketchy. I certainly am not looking for anything other than the basics.

I'd just like to live a quiet life in the mountains, with good access for hiking and fishing. I'll sacrifice convenience and comfort for relative solitude and a beautiful view (though not necessarily from my front door).

As far as the towns go, there's nothing about Salida per se that stands out to me other than the fact that it's more of a hub compared to Leadville or BV. But of course that's why I'm turning to you folks for suggestions, and I'm grateful for all of the feedback so far!

I'm anxious to get back out there and do some more exploring, I'm sure there are so many more towns I haven't even heard about yet that could potentially be the right fit.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:22 PM

17,669 posts, read 29,550,848 times
Prison guard in Buenie

Old 01-11-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Prison guard in Buenie
Haha, I am definitely not of the build for that. Small frame and short. I couldn't guard a group of fifth graders, let alone prison inmates.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,580,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
Yeah, realistically I could make $800/month work but it would be an adjustment to my current standard of living. I could stretch to $900 if I committed to OT every week, but I'd rather not for the sake of not being trapped indoors all the time. I will say that I am by no means picky about apartments/houses/studios, as long as the area is not ridiculously sketchy. I certainly am not looking for anything other than the basics.

I'd just like to live a quiet life in the mountains, with good access for hiking and fishing. I'll sacrifice convenience and comfort for relative solitude and a beautiful view (though not necessarily from my front door).

As far as the towns go, there's nothing about Salida per se that stands out to me other than the fact that it's more of a hub compared to Leadville or BV. But of course that's why I'm turning to you folks for suggestions, and I'm grateful for all of the feedback so far!
You'll have to go ahead and accept at your level of income there will be an adjustment to your standard of living. There is no other way around it. From getting your car fixed to going to the dentist to buying a cup of coffee, there is a premium price to pay in the mountains, even in the towns mentioned.

The issue you'll have to consider is you might be able to find a small home that is remote for rent but then what do you do about a high speed internet connection for work? If you are tethered to a high speed connection, that is something you'll have to factor into your decision and make sure that you'll be able to get the connection you need in a rural area.

Of the three towns, BV would be my pick. It is at a good elevation with a great view of the mountains. Salida is not as attractive to me and Leadville is cold year round and it's too much winter.

The other thing I would consider is getting a part time job to augment your income, especially in the summer season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado