U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,248 times

Advertisements

My family is going to be moving within the next year. Canon City Colorado is a place we're looking into. My wife is a Corrections Office, I am finishing my BA in Psychology and we have an eight year old. I grew up in the western part of the country (we live in PA right now) and would like to go back. Can anyone tell us the pros and cons of living in or around the Canon City area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:15 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,618,037 times
I suggest you do a search function for Canon City as there have been many discussions about living there. Then, once you've read through the posts, if you have specific questions you can ask them here.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:07 PM

17 posts, read 32,231 times
Living here, the biggest concerns I have are the schools. The community voted down a tax hike for the schools even though the Canon City system has the second lowest tax levy in the state. Granted, simply throwing money at schools isn't a recipe for success, but textbooks are old and there aren't necessarily enough to go around. Consult GreatSchools.org
for more school info in areas you might want to investigate.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,332,367 times
My feeling was that Canon City's schools could use some improvewment, and Joe seems to have verfied this. Other than education for his son OP hasn't given us much to go by.

He grew up in the "western part of the country." Well, THAT sure narrows it down. But Canon City indeed is in the West. However, so's Nucla, but who wants to live there?

OP's wife is in corrections. That's the strongest point Canon has in its favor according to what OP has let us know.

Finally OP is finishing up a psych degree. And? Kudos for doing the work to be awarded a college degree, but I don't know what that has to do with anything unless OP is hoping that this will let him get on with the corrections system(s)? If so, send them a letter of inquiry and get the scoop straight from the horse's mouth.

Personally, I don't care for Canon City. I had some friends who moved there for awhile and they didn't like it, either. It doesn't have much of a Colorado "feel" to me, although you can get on Highway 50 West and drive up the Arkansas and be in some pretty nice country in no time at all. Nearby Pueblo and Colorado Springs offer shopping and cultural amenities as well as access to state of the art medical care.

But I'm drawing a blank as to why Canon City would be any different/better than any other town in the West which is home to a Federal Pen or a State Prison. Perhaps someone who is part of that culture will come along and give you some input. Meanwhile, maybe OP could better clarify what sort of things he's looking for in a new town.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:32 AM

16,506 posts, read 20,904,171 times
Welcome to the Colorado forum Brooke!

Check out the third line down on this page--"Official index to key Colorado threads." The Colorado moderator has done a great job gathering info on a variety of smaller areas that aren't necessarily covered on the subforums. One of the links shows info on Canon City. The link is dated by a few years but has 45 posts to it.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:37 AM

463 posts, read 978,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke Rein View Post
My family is going to be moving within the next year. Canon City Colorado is a place we're looking into. My wife is a Corrections Office, I am finishing my BA in Psychology and we have an eight year old. I grew up in the western part of the country (we live in PA right now) and would like to go back. Can anyone tell us the pros and cons of living in or around the Canon City area?
Pro: affordable real estate-hard to find in CO
Mild winter-5300 ft altitude
Basic amenities-big box stores

Con: Cotter uranium mill

Just a few off the top of my head. Also, it has an older demo if that matters.GL

Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,933,570 times
Just looked up the news story on that Uranium mill. Looks like some people should have gone to prison and been personally bankrupted, rather than bankrupting the corporation after privatizing some of the profits.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:06 PM

599 posts, read 832,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Just looked up the news story on that Uranium mill. Looks like some people should have gone to prison and been personally bankrupted, rather than bankrupting the corporation after privatizing some of the profits.
The same company owns an abandoned uranium mine in Jefferson County that drains directly into Ralston Creek-> Ralston Reservoir -> Arvada Reservoir.

Guess what happened during the floods last September? Oh wait, that got buried immediately.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,699 times
I lived there a few years ago, and I plan to move back. It is a lovely little town with much milder weather than the majority of Colorado due to being surrounded on three sides by mountains. It is located next to several federal prisons, and if that is where you want to work, you will do well there. The main drawback is that since it is located so close to the prisons, there are a lot of parolees in the town, and it seemed that there were a LOT of pedophiles per capita.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:38 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,780,481 times
Just make sure you have a job in hand with DOC or the Federal Prison first. Colorado has actually shut down some correctional facilities due to budget cutbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado