U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 10:18 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,906 posts, read 6,229,901 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Mike. I appreciate your input. I'm surprised more people aren't up on what is in the future. You're absolutely right -- I'd venture to guess that millions, if not multi-millions of us are looking for exactly what you described!! And, you're right, "European," is a phrase that describes what used to be.....and we want it back! Many of us! Especially those of us who are educated, have disposable income, and have traveled widely (including Europe).

I think I'll just gently remove myself from this thread because it seems that whoever started this is definitely not into the future, but into the past and what they hope is the future.

Mike, you're absolutely right -- I know tons of boomers who are all talking about the same thing. There are already smart developers who realize this, but many are not forward-thinking. But we don't care -- we'll go with those who are forward-thinking.

Thanks again for your input, because what you described as a desirable place to live, is definitely in demand, and will be much more so in ten years.

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 21 days ago)

10,885 posts, read 29,317,265 times
NAR Releases Baby Boomer Study
Baby boomers are like the vaudevillian who doesn't know when to leave the crowd laughing. They have dominated the economy, housing, product development and just about every other trend since they arrived on the scene in 1946. But the party's over in about 12 years, when they will no longer be the largest population segment in history, nor the largest body of consumers. But until then, they remain the most powerful demographic force in the U.S., particularly when it comes to housing.
Full Story: http://realtytimes.com/rtapages/20061030_babyboomer.htm

Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 PM

431 posts, read 1,009,739 times
Co-housing is a great idea.

I checked it out awhile back and was astounded it would cost as much to live in co-housing as to buy a house.

Developers are interested to get the highest return on the land, which means putting huge two story houses on small lots. They have no interest in green space or community areas, unless forced to have them by code.

Because of these two reasons, I see co-housing as being a good idea but not feasible. The only way it would happen is for people to get together and plan entire communities in this manner.

And if it's not cost effective, then people will continue preferring single story houses with space, and developers will continue on building two story homes on small lots.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:32 PM

220 posts, read 711,928 times
Back in NY, we call these projects. Densely populated urban zones where on can walk to everything or take public transportation. There is an up-and-coming community forming at the Anthem Highlands in Broomfield. It will have stores, rec. centers, walking trails and some tremendous views. We met with the lead rep. there and their vision seemed in-line with what you are describing. You might want to have a look.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:42 PM

220 posts, read 711,928 times
Having only known one way of live- the suburban way - I had never realized just how dependent on private transportation we are. We really do drive to everything because commercial properties dot the landscape haphazardly. This is the problem with older, more established suburbs. They would need to wipe the whole place out and start over with a modern plan to accomodate tomorrows communities with something that will last for generations. It's sort of a shame more forethought didn't go into places like Long Island where zoning issues are problematic and commercial factories sit beside homes. I look forward to seeing whether the development community has the long-term vision to embrace building that considers the needs of the growing/aging demographic as well as the need to conserve. Building green is only the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or