U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 06:19 PM

20 posts, read 22,488 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am an early 30's female wedding photographer from Southern California. I have family relocating to the Denver and Boulder area and since I'm tired of California, wouldn't mind a nice change, and don't have much of a reason to stay (no kids and I work for myself), I am deciding to relocate, as well. I was just curious.....How is the wedding industry is out there? Is it pretty healthy? I do just fine out here and am confident that if I move to an area that's pretty saturated with wedding venues, I could establish myself pretty quickly. I'm definitely experienced and have top of the line equipment.

Aaaaand my second question: Where would be a good fit for me in this area? (Between Denver and Boulder and surrounding 'burbs) I already live in the Southern California mountains (about 5500 ft), and deal with the snow on a short, seasonal basis......Probably not as much as you guys get, but it's not foreign to me, like most So Cal transplants. Plus I have AWD. I like to go out and be social, but I'm not a big city girl, either....Not a fan of living on top of each other, haha. I don't mind driving and hour or two to photograph different wedding venues for work. I love snow activities (mainly snowboarding), so close proximity to that would be great. As far as rent, I could afford up to $1600 for a 2 bedroom. I'm sure meeting new friends is pretty easy, but a place that is social is icing on the cake Any suggestions would be great! Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 12:37 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,453,487 times
I have two friends that are photographers in Colorado, both in the western suburbs of Denver (Golden, Littleton). They are both relatively new to the industry, perhaps 5 years or less, and are both doing well with their businesses. I'm sure some will say the market is over-saturated, but the industry as a whole is said to be. I think if you have the skills, portfolio and business sense to make it happen, you will do okay. I can't comment specifically on Boulder, although I imagine you will find a higher end clientele in the vicinity. Rent in Boulder proper can be extremely high, but perhaps doable based on your budget. Since you are willing to look outside of Boulder, you will probably get more for your money if you look at Louisville, Longmont and a bit south, towards Golden.

As far a social scene goes, Boulder can certainly offer what you are looking for. Lots of outdoor activities and a small ski resort (Eldora) not too far away. You will also be within a few hours drive to the much larger resorts (and perhaps fun wedding destinations you can shoot at as well).

I would definitely encourage you to take a scouting trip out to Colorado to see if it's something you are looking for. Spring is a good time to visit as you will get a nice taste of the weather (can be freezing or warm, but often very, very windy) and an idea of activities you can do. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2014, 03:05 PM

20 posts, read 22,488 times
Thanks for the input, Delta much appreciated!
I have been through the area, but my timing was terrible....... As soon as I got into Boulder, we were evacuated due to the fires right on the flat irons..... Wasn't the best way to see and explore the area hahaha. I do plan on getting back out there this summer for some more exploring. I found this forum informative and thought some locals would be able to point me in some directions

I've looked into Lousville, but it might be too suburb for me. I love scenery and mtns....this is why I live in the mtns here. I was looking into places that are little ways from the city, but close enough to get out easily for amenities and being social. I was looking into possibly Lyons or Evergreen areas..... Am I way off here, guys? Hehe

Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 PM

397 posts, read 592,621 times
I live in Evergreen and while I'm no expert on the photography business, I personally know 8 professional photographers just in my social/business circles that live and work in Evergreen. Granted, many residents are either already married with or without kids or older with kids already grown and out of the house.
There aren't a ton of single people that would potentially be getting married. The photographers that I know concentrate their business on outdoor family portraits, high school year book photos and business head shots.
Good luck with your potential move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado