Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 PM

38 posts, read 101,234 times

Advertisements

I was born in Denver and my family has always owned property in the Upper Blanco Basin about 30 minutes south of Pagosa Springs. My husband and I have four little boys ages 2-9 who are total outdoor kids. We live in Louisville right now but have always wanted to raise our kids in a more outdoorsy/mountainous area. We cannot live at the family place as there are family disputes and lawsuits over it right now and that area is crazy expensive. We would love to live around there but any place in CO with a mountain would be great.

I am a SAHM and dh is a computer geek. He actually is an IT Director with a company that runs hospitals and nursing homes. He has a nursing license but only keeps it because for some reason his company likes him to have it. He makes between over $110k which is good for the area that we live in. Our median home around here is only around $140k. We can't just cut and run because we do have two kiddos that have some minor medical issues and we have to keep the insurance also we are not that daring any longer.

If anyone can direct us towards a family friendly area where the houses don't start at $500k and possibly has a strong IT connections that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 08:47 AM

648 posts, read 2,934,900 times
Where will your husband have to commute to every day? How long does he want his commute to be? What price range in house would you be looking at? How many bedrooms? Sq feet?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:35 AM

He would want the commute to be under an hour (one way). We would need four bedrooms and I have no idea the price range. I guess it would depend on where we lived. I would hope to have at least an acre to unleash the boys.

Again any help is hugely appreciated! Thanks!!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 12:45 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,947,503 times
I think many of us living in Denver/Boulder area would like to live up in the mountains instead of in the city, but realistically, 95% of the technology related jobs in the state are within about an hour's drive of downtown Denver (i.e., SE Fort Collins down to the Springs, including Denver and Boulder). Of those, most of them are in Metro Denver or Boulder. So, you can't get too far out of town before your job options dry up quickly.

What's wrong with living in Louisville? Yes, it's not the mountains, but it's minutes to Boulder and Broomfield/Interlocken, and still commutable to downtown Denver, and close enough to the mountains to be in them within about twenty minutes? I suppose if you need to be in the mountains you could consider living in the foothills, like Evegreen, Coal Creek Canyon, Nederland, etc.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:03 PM

Sorry I forgot there is a Louisville, CO. We live in Kentucky--horse country not mountain. If I live in Louisville, CO (not Luhval-as the locals say) I would be thrilled!

Old 11-29-2007, 01:26 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,947,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat1996 View Post
Sorry I forgot there is a Louisville, CO. We live in Kentucky--horse country not mountain. If I live in Louisville, CO (not Luhval-as the locals say) I would be thrilled!
Ohhh... I see. I was confused how you said that median home values in Louisville were only 140k... I figured maybe you bought a while back or something, but I see where you're coming from.

Well, median home values in metro Denver are closer to about 250k, with many places much more than that. Louisville, CO is probably quite a bit higher than average, but that's because it's considered a very desirable area -- compared to Boulder it's a bargain!

If you're looking to not pay a lot in home prices, I recommend an older home in the inner suburbs. You'll get yourself a nice place to live, often with a nice size lot (but probably no more than about a quarter acre), for a good price and an easy commute to wherever you're working.

If you truly want an acreage, you'll probably have to live farther out and pay more. I have heard that eastern cities have a lot of large lot properties in the middle of the metro area -- that isn't true here, at least not for a reasonable price. The further out you're willing to live, the better -- as you start passing the 1 hour mark on commuting, prices do drop substantially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado