U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 08:22 AM

1,394 posts, read 3,922,564 times

Advertisements

Hi, can anyone tell me why there is so many trailer houses in Colorado? It seems where ever I look you have so many on the market, and hardly any regular type houses. Just wondering. Thanks, Dorene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 15,600 times
I spent 18 years there. Had a business. Walsenburg is great for all around climate summer and winter. Only one really bad storm. Snowed in for four days in the county area. Snow butt deep. Lots of wind. Coal mining area so if you're pron to blood clots reconsider. If you'r looking for cheep housing it's THE place in CO. Bought 5 acres w?mobile for $20,000 in Navajo. Stay out of the Politics. Everything is slow there. Wages are low. Good Luck!
Lots of Trailer Houses because they are cheep living!

Old 11-18-2006, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the info, how do they hold up for the winter? We have seen a lot of nice ones, but around Minnesota, they don't keep the heat in when it's cold and they fall apart pretty easily. That is our down fall, as far as buying one. Does anyone have ideas as to what other areas we might check into, for reasonable living?
In the $75,000 to $80,000 range. We plan on trying to move in June of 2007, we hope to find something by then. Is there a difference between a manufactured house, compared to a trailer house? Seen some of them and it looks like a trailer house. Thanks for all the help. Dorene

Old 11-20-2006, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 15,600 times
Default Colorado

Manufactured homes for the most part are stick construction on wheels trailers are with metal siding. The best way to have a mobile home protected for winter is to build a carport type structure around the home. That way you ca get good snow load. We lived in a mobil in Walsenburg for 12 years and had no problems.
Just watch out for the snow over the vents.
Ours may be for sale at about that time June and it will be very reasonable. Gotta go.
LarryC

Old 11-20-2006, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the help, is there any reason why you are selling yours now? How is the weather in your area? We have been having fun trying to weed out areas, as far as what we can afford, what areas have the best climate, scenery, etc.
I just hope by the time it comes to going out there to check into areas, that it won't take long to find what we are looking for, that way we can get our things moved before school starts in Augest, and we can be all settled in.
It is a lot to try and do, all at once, but as long as we can try to do things smoothly, that helps big time. Thanks for your help, if you think of more to add let me know, have a good night. Dorene

Old 11-24-2006, 08:43 PM

20 posts, read 95,345 times
If you are looking for great scenery, great climate, great house...let me know where you can find it for $75K. I'll take two! I'm still looking for that reliable used car with perfect body, interior, under 30000 mi for $1500 too.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:45 PM

I am sorry to say that you sound kind of negetive, maybe your having a bad day? I choose to look at things in a different way, and I will not give up or give in until I find what I am looking for, in order for things to happen you have to think positive, my heart is set on Colorado, and with help from the forum, and some searching on my own I hope that I will find what were looking for.
I do know that things will not fall into my lap, and it will take hard work into finding a nice place, but if you want something bad enough, I for one refuse to give up. Thanks, for all the help, I keep getting from people, who care enough to take time out to give us a hand. God bless you all. Dorene
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolAsColorado View Post
If you are looking for great scenery, great climate, great house...let me know where you can find it for $75K. I'll take two! I'm still looking for that reliable used car with perfect body, interior, under 30000 mi for $1500 too.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:45 PM

265 posts, read 781,181 times
Default Guess today shows that Walsenburg

does indeed get hit with large snowstorms. Just heard that they closed I-25 and lots of people stopped off at the truck stop in Walsenburg. Some cars in ditches etc. Snow to easily top the one foot mark.

Just as an update, my search is now concentrated on NM. There is affordable housing in the $75,000 range in the areas both east and south of Alb. Specially the Los Lunas area. I am also looking very closely at the Alamogordo area which has lots of affordable housing. Winters are fine, and that is my attraction. However, summers are hot. Always a trade off I guess.

Jim

ps Denver is to get 20 inches of snow. Sorry, but that's too much for me.! Just went thru a 20 inch snowstorm here in Illinois two weeks ago. It was no fun especially for a retired guy like myself. I need that southern NM warmth in the winter.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 18,384 times
sorry james , but me living in florida and fixing to build around walsenburg ,it's like a breath of fresh air .. i can handle it for a few days .. oh yea

Old 12-22-2006, 02:02 AM

5 posts, read 26,032 times
I'm buying a lot at paradice acres, on pass creek road. does anyone know snow fall for La veta pass area ? lot elevation is 9200 feet. now we live in big bear lake ca, so snow is nothing new. Pete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado