U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 5,053 times

Advertisements

If you want a dry winter with little snow try Pueblo. Pueblo is a high-plains desert and gets little snow. This year we got the most I've seen in 6 years with almost a foot. It stayed around for 3 or 4 days.
Remember that in much of the front range of Colorado the snow melts relatively quickly. With Colorado's 360 days of sunshine each year I've seen it snow one day and be dry the next.
Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 5,052 times
Exclamation Snow amounts

Be careful about the Walsenburg snowfall graph on this web-site; I just compared it to the National Climatic Data Center (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/ussc/SCopTab1?state=Colorado&station=WALSENBURG&coopid= 058781&short=05) (broken link).
The chart here shows average March snowfall of approx 6.5 inches whereas the NCDC reports a mean snowfall for March of 18.5 inches!!

Here are the NCDC average snowfall by season for Walsenburg...
Winter 36.9 inches
Spring 34.4 inches
Summer > 0 inches!!
Autumn 19.1 inches

Now I'm equally suspicious of the other weather graphs here. I am considering retiring in the Walsenburg area from Columbus, Ohio and originally compared snowfall based on the graphs here which showed Walsenburg with the same average snowfall as Columbus - now I find out that it's actually a factor of 2 to 3 greater than Columbus. Will have to carefully consider that now.

I've visited Walsenburg - La Veta several times in the past year and love just about all the other characteristics of the area.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,296 times
Default winters in walsenburg

Hey There,
I just stumbled upon your question about Walsenburg & snow- I'm 40 plus yrs. a native of colorado ( Pueblo ) My family hails from Walsenburg & I assure you that Walsenburg Receives alot of snow. This Year has been a strange winter with more snow storms than usual. Let's not forget the wind, when family obligations bring me to Walsenburg I dread it simply because of the wild fierce wind gusts. To the person who suggested Pueblo? I was born in Pueblo & have lived here most of my life. Our winters are milder than Walsenburg but we still get our fair share of snow. typically the most severe months are Jan.Feb. Mar. & April sometimes May and occasionally June.
If you do go to New Mexico, I know for a fact that Norther N.M Is very cold & snowy as well. I'm not as familiar with the rest of the state.
Sorry this practically turned into a book.
Rebekah
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
I am a retired guy living in NW Illinois. Looking for places in Colorado with mild winter climate. Have checked weather records and the areas south of Colorado Springs look to be of interest. I have visited Canon City , Colorado City, Walsenburg , and Trinidad.

This would be a second home to spend the winters away from Illinois. Most affordable for me are areas around Walsenburg and perhaps Canon City. I like the small town feel.

On my Sept visit to Walsenburg , a local told me about an experience involving 4 feet of snow that fell when she first moved to the area. I was surprised since the weather records show snowfall to be much less than what I get in Illinois. Did not expect that much snow. But guess perhaps it can happen in that area.

Before I start looking elsewhere just wondered if there are people out there with experience with Colorado winters. Are there areas where you can get a mild climate without lots of snow . IF not then I will be looking further south into NM. I have already ruled out AZ because I can't afford it.

Thanks for any comments.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,788 times
Default Looking for Retirement Spot

Hey, these are all great messages with terrific tips. Thanks! Helps me out too as I'm searching for a Colorado retirement spot. Looking around either the Colorado Springs surrounding areas or the southern CO areas like Pagosa Springs, Durango, Monte Vista, Alamosa, Walsenburg, etc. I, too, am looking for a place with lots of sunshine, some snows but not regular heavy snows all of the time and lots of outdoor recreation to do as I love to hike, snowmobile, white water raft, cookout and hang outside! Would like to hear more recommendations. I found contacting the Chamber of Commerces for each area has been a useful research tool as they have sent me relocation information and the realtors in the areas have been great resources in sending me information about the communities as well. Keep me posted. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 AM

14,498 posts, read 22,347,982 times
Wonder how that drive was yesterday from Colorado City to Walsenburg or visa versa. The wind was about 80+ mph and there were 2 ft+ snow drifts on Graneros road and there was absolutely no mention of any wind south of Colorado Springs and Pueblo from what I could here. It would be nice if southeastern Colorado had its own TV station which totally excluded Colorado Springs, Denver, and Pueblo.

The problem with these snow drifts is that in some spots along I-25 the snow is so deep, it's even with the road. These wind currents start whipping that snow across the highway like a river. You're going down the road minding your own business at about 74 MPH (84 MPH if you're from New Mexico, Texas, California, insert you state here) and then all of a sudden, you're upside down in a ditch saying to your buddy on your cell phone "Can you hear me now?"

Yesterday, it was sunny, warm, nice weather, then I got to exit 71 and it was one dangerous situation.

Most people don't even consider slowing down until they see the two jack-knived trucks ahead. And no, honey. Your SUV isn't gonna save you. It will roll too. It's 4-wheel drive and 4-wheel slide!

My suggestion, if you're gonna speed up I-25 go about 4 mph over until you get north of Monument, if you see a wet highway or even dark black asphalt on a curve or bridge, or a river of white snow rushing across the road (in this case, see how deep the snow bank is that you are about to plow into and if possible, pick the right lane - that would be the lane closest to where the wind is coming from to blast through) then look in your rear-view mirror and slow down as much as possible. Slow down doesn't mean slam on the brakes, Duh!

Yeah, it snows in the Burg.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:56 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,208,400 times
I commuted through the I-25 corridor frequently during 1964-1972, years that were in a "normal" moisture cycle for the area.

Some of the worst snow conditions between Denver and Albuquerque were just south of Pueblo until past Santa Fe, with the Walsenburg/Raton part especially bad. They can, and do get a lot of snow there.

Recent arrivals to the area have only seen the "drought" years cycle of moisture patterns there.

I've got friends building a new retirement house 20 west of Trinidad, and they were comparing the snow to their current house in Evergreen. It's about the same snowfall, maybe a few degrees warmer climate. They parked a 5th wheel camper down at their place, and planned on snowbirding down to AZ along the Colorado river this month. The camper has been snowed in for weeks, they can't get it out now.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:14 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,742,357 times
I love the Front Range of Colorado, but I don't know if I could recommend it to someone who is truly trying to escape snow. If you look at the numbers we do get a lot of snow even in a normal year (I agree this year is abnormal).

As much as I love Colorado, I just think you're going to be frustrated if you are moving here to avoid snow. Most of us here like snow. AND we like sun. And we like our crazy climate where we get snow at night and brilliant sun the same day!

One of the things about the West in general is that it's snowy. So you have to decide if a little bit of snow is okay. If it is, then southern New Mexico might be the place for you. If not, then look to southern Arizona -- they only have occasional snows -- or into California.

But the fact is that every place in the continental United States including Miami, including San Diego has had occurrences of measurable, accumulating snow. (though in Miami and San Diego it's more of a once in a lifetime event). The list of places in the Western States that are practically free of snow are actually quite few, and mostly in California. Southern Arizona including Phoenix and Yuma are not completely snow free but are probably close enough.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,049 times
Default Winter in Walsenburg

Hey Jim, I too am planning retirement near Walsenburg. I currently live in N.E. Colorado where the winters are harsh and the summers hot. Walsenburg is supposed to have average summer high temperatures of 89 and average winter low temps of 19. Cooler and warmer than here respectively. I've read conflicting reports on the average snowfall. Several at about 34 inches and several at about 7 feet. I believe 34 inches to be correct. The water there is clean and abundant with 2 lakes and 2 reservoirs nearby, the environment excellent, low cost of living, low crime rate, good fishing and hunting if you are so inclined, mild winters and mild summers and very scenic. I've purchased land about 5 miles west of Walsenburg. Good Luck with your future endeavors, Bob.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 18,384 times
pardice i'm north of walsenburg on 69 out in the country, haven't been to the property in about a year as it's not eating nothing except the tax man (wish i could goggle him up) .. but got my focus on north florida as i reside insouth florida now it's a pain in the ass with permits and all that goes with it but when i get done with this project which i expect 2y ..then i'll be getting bored or broke or both

to be more specific -am building a 20 x 30 which is what i plan on my 10a i love colorado ''' god willing and the creek don't rise maybe we'll be OK

would like to hear if any thawing has been happening since the last big dump (blizzard), just wondering if this is normal or once in a couple years. which it doesn't bother me, i look forward to the challenge of getting to know the natives and meeting new freinds also have to find a freind .. but thats later.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,337,406 times
My parents lived in Walsenburg for about 5-6 years. It was always so windy there! They lived off of Elm St. When they did get snow, they got dumped on, I am talking feet. Otherwise, winter there is like winter in a lot of places in Colorado- some nice days in the 40-50s, other days are around freezing. I can tell you that if you have children, the schools are not great. My mother was a teacher in the middle school and my younger brother went to HS there for a year. A lot of drugs for a small town, little to do, high teen pregnancy rate (yes, small towns have these issues). Also, I don't know if this matters to you also, but my parents came from Iowa and love small towns, especially small town cafe's and resturaunts. They didn't like ANY of the cafe's there in town. Not to mention they complained about the train's whistle every 20 minutes. No matter where you were town, you had to listen to that darn thing and got stuck at a RR every 20 minutes. I guess it was a little too much for them. They are now here in Colorado Springs. They first lived in Black Forest but have settled into a home in Colorado Springs. My neighbors across the street also have a son who was a police officer there for 2 years- he said the force is as straight as a chain link fence- beware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado