Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 10:06 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,819,373 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a driving trip to Telluride in late January and I'm undecided which route to take. I usually prefer the routes that google maps puts out but in this case they send me out Interstate 10, then up through NM to Durango.

My thought was that going to Pueblo (from my house I wouldn't be on I25, rather up US 287 and over to Pueblo) and then west on US 50 might be better. Both better roads and fewer high passes.

I realize I've got several choices here, I've gone the Alamosa route (meeting up with friends in Pagosa springs for the run to Telluride), but that seems a bit out of the way. I make the run from home to Lamar often enough (I go that way to Denver) so I feel like I can do that stretch almost in my sleep.

Help me out locals.

After skiing Telluride I'm heading up to Ft. Collins. Not sure if north to I70 from Montrose is quicker or easier than backtracking on US 50. At least it would keep me off of I25 through the Springs. And that trip will be on a Saturday so I'll be going against the flow of weekenders heading to Summit County.

Thanks in advance.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Don't know where you're coming from in Texas, but my recommendation (to avoid winter driving issues) would be I-25 into Albuquerque, then 550 to Durango. Then US 160 to Mancos, Colorado 184 to Dolores, then Colorado 145 north to Telluride. The only major pass that way is Lizard Head. It can be nasty, but not usually much worse than Dallas Divide coming from the other direction.

From Telluride to Fort Collins, most would recommend the I-70 route. I don't--too many ignorant fools driving too fast in way too much traffic. I would say take US 50 to US 285, then into Denver. This route does have some risks. Monarch Pass can be nasty, but there is usually a lot less traffic than on I-70, and CDOT does a pretty good job of keeping it open. South Park can be the real challenge. Often, it is no problem at all, dry all the way. But if it is snowing or there is a lot snow on the ground and the wind starts blowing, blizzarding can be a real problem. If that's the case, it may best to stay on US 50 to Canon City, then Colorado 115 to Colorado Springs, and north on I-25. I hate I-25 from the Springs to Denver because of traffic, though, and it can be a mess in bad weather. So, it's sort of "pick your poison." The best thing to do is to check the weather forecasts and road conditions. Some storms hit the northern part of the state and miss the south, or vice versa--and that may dictate what is the best route. The other thing is to be both mentally prepared and have your vehicle prepared for adverse road and weather conditions. Chances are, you may hit winter conditions someplace, no matter which you route you take.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,957,630 times
Wink Probably as planned

Probably as you've got it figured. If through Lamar, CO, then US 50 probably the easiest and most direct route. It doesn't sound like it, but should you be coming from further south, possibly consider a route via Cortez, CO to bypass the high passes on US 550 north of Durango.

From Telluride to Ft. Collins, it would depend on the weather. Personally I'd much rather be on a less traveled and slower two lane highway versus an interstate in inclement weather; too many idiots driving too fast on an interstate. But if the weather clear I-70 my preferred route. Otherwise, US 50 to US 287 to Denver.

Even if the weather is clear, I might still bypass Denver. From US 287 one might join the CO 470 bypass to US 6, thence CO 93 to Boulder. From Boulder you might angle northeast to meet I-25 north to Ft. Collins, or rejoin US 287 near Longmont and take it north instead.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:37 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,819,373 times
Thanks Idunn and jazzlover; a couple of questions though;

I believe you're each saying the same thing, Idunn said something about going through Cortez (or Mancos/Delores) to avoid the passes on 550 North of Durango. I never planned on taking 550 N out of Durango as I was under the impression that I'd have to go to Ridgeway and double back to Telluride, at least in the winter.

From where I'm starting, west of Austin, I thought the US 50 offered a good combination of good roads and lack of high passes. Although it's been 15-20 years since I've driven from Pueblo to Montrose.

US 50 back to 285 seemed like the better bet to me as well, Monarch Pass excepted.

I guess I'll just have to carefully monitor the weater reports both leaving TX and leaving Telluride. At least I do have some options.

Thanks.

golfgod

Old 11-30-2007, 09:18 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,664,806 times
Many years ago I made that trip to Austin (twice a year-Austin Record Convention).Jazzlover and Idunn are right. I take 10 to Pecos. Take 285 north past the border, through Carlsbad, Roswell, Vaughn, and hit I-40 and roll into Albuquerque.40 runs into 25 in the downtown area. North on 25 to U.S. 550 all the way to Durango.Then take 160 west to Cortez, and 145 NE and you are there. 50 west out of Canon City is fine except for 2 problems.The road is a 2 laner and in a winter storm you have black ice on the road to contend with. You are going through the Arkansas River canyon, short days and snow storms equal problems. If you are going through in the summer you would love the drive. Beautiful drive. Now 550 out of Albuquerque is 4 lane all the way to the Colorado border. The state drivers due a good job on road maintenance. That is just my 2 cents worth.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:56 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,957,630 times
Wink Something more direct?

If from Austin, TX, a different story. A route via Pueblo would take you too far out of the way. Not to mention that possibly implies driving through the Texas panhandle, and you can do better weather wise.

I'm not well versed on southeastern New Mexico, but if you are you might consider a route more or less as a bird flies between Austin and Albuquerque. If not, or you are more comfortable with interstates, then cut over to I-10 from Austin and thence to I-25 at El Paso, and then north to Albuquerque. Not entirely sure about west Texas, but believe you can expect relatively mild weather and little traffic on I-25 until near Albuquerque.

This suggestion not only due the weather but also a fairly direct route. At Bernalillo, just north of Albuquerque, the junction from I-25 of US 550 north to Bloomfield, NM. Depending on the weather you can experience snow on portions of this road, but with less possibility than other routes. Moreover it is an excellent and lightly traveled four lane highway.

Normally I would continue on US 550 north through Durango to Ridgeway and thence circling back to reach Telluride. In part just because I like the mountains, but any examination of a map will quickly show it also the most direct route from the south. If the weather good and yourself so inclined, I would still recommend it.

But if a bit longer in distance, the easier route via Cortez and Lizard Head Pass to Telluride. A beautiful drive, if not as picturesque as that along US 550. But certainly a less taxing mountain drive, and but one instead of four passes to cross.

Should you take this route, whether passing through Durango or not possibly dictated by weather. I'd probably go via Durango, but there is a divide to cross between there and Cortez. So you have the option at Bloomfield of turning west on US 64 to Shiprock, NM, thence north to Cortez. This a route lower in elevation and less likely to suffer difficult road conditions.

Perhaps otherwise, depending, but you could reasonably expect no snow on the road until north of Albuquerque, and quite possibly not until much closer to Rico, CO.

With any luck you'll enjoy an excursion of low stress and often striking beauty.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:14 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,702,685 times
Default durango ft collins

A lot of this depends on your vehicle and how much time you have, and what days and times of the week you drive.

I drive the state, last nine years, all year round.

I would take the first recommended route through new mexico simple because you will hit lots of east-west traffic in Colorado on most of the routes discussed, and the commercial and truck traffic on 285, 50 and 160 has increased dramatically due to the oil and gas development. Plus, 285 north into Denver is still under construction as you get near town.

Worst passes are the big un' on 160 west of Pagosa, and anything north of there in the winter. So go to Ridgway to I-70. The traffic is not bad going east unless it's 6 pm on a sunday. If you have 4WD or now tires you should be ok over Vail Pass, the worst is the area just above Georgetown due to blizzard conditions and just take that slow.

Another consideration if you take the back routes is planning your stays and meals. Places close down early in the winter except in the big tourist areas.

Remember even if there is no apparent snow or ice, the leftover gravel on the passes can be just as slick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado