Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 07:37 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,106,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
And, though few people posting here think it will happen (I disagree), "legalized" pot in Colorado could be just one federal court challenge away from being overturned--MJ is still federally illegal, no matter what any state has to say about it. Anybody relocating or buying property in Colorado for the sole reason of "enjoying" legalized MJ should keep that in mind.
You are right in that Colorado legalized the growing and sale of marijuana for recreational purposes, and that could be thrown out in court.

But, Colorado did not "legalize" possession; the state just set a standard for possession lower than the federal standard. This part of the law cannot be thrown out by the court. The court cannot order the state to set a stricter standard for possession.

Therefore, if it is not a state crime, then the federal government would have to enforce the lower federal standard. The likelihood of being arrested by federal agents over small amounts of marijuana is virtually none. People could still move here to enjoy marijuana knowing that they won't be arrested by local authorities.

Federal enforcement of its marijuana laws would clog the federal courts in Colorado and take federal agents away from more pressing crimes than busting people for having an ounce of marijuana.

Any court decision regarding the sale of recreational marijuana would also apply to medical marijuana affecting about 20 states.

I don't like it either, but it is here to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 06:05 AM

75 posts, read 123,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
and take federal agents away from more pressing crimes than busting people for having an ounce of marijuana.
I'm sure there are many, many federal agents devoted solely to enforcing the ridiculous marijuana laws. So for them, legalization is "moving the cheese" and probably scares the bazooka out of them.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,608,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyvip View Post
Your state? You're just someone who moved here before OP, same as me.

Your state....lol. I cant get over that. Reiterating that you don't smoke pot like it's some impressive feat...lol.

Welcome OP. CO is a great place. Great weather, stunning scenery, affordable and despite hysteria here from a couple elderly members who essentially live to crap on Colorado because we progressed past 1955..not mentioning names...it's an amazing state.

Jazz is wrong about this. This trend will continue on the marijuana issue.You have nothing to fear. The precedent favors the cannabis enthusiast on every measurable level, federal et al.

Where are you going to stay brother? Hit me up on here via PM if you're near my neck of the woods and I'll sort you out with the pot stuff, free of charge.

Welcome to the mountains.

Sorry buddy I'm a native-nice try. 3rd generation native...

Old 03-25-2014, 10:04 PM

557 posts, read 808,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauburn View Post
Well I do not know anything about the cities in Colorado. I was in Denver once on business, but that is it. Guess I was just looking for some suggestions from locals. Would be nice to find a laid back artsy town with easy access to weed shops and not too far from a major city like Denver. I like hiking, too, so someplace close to the trails would be great.

I will check out Pueblo.
You can get a very nice 1bdr condo in the heart of Denver for less than 200k. Of course, prices vary widely based on locale, amenities, etc.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
If you have the money to burn on the extremely expensive pot, you really should not have a concern about the price of a condo. Perhaps it is that idea--if you have to ask, you cannot afford it.

If you need to live cheap, so you can afford pot then that is what you have to do. There are pot shops all around Denver where housing is less expensive and also dirt cheap or living on the street for free. All you have to read the real estate guides that are readily available online and pick a price range that fits you. Obviously, you may be priced out of the more tonier neighborhoods. Smoking enough pot and living in the miasma of that experience, you will not care where you live.

I am not making a judgment on pot smoking; I am just curious and making an observation. I stopped by one of the many pot shops that I regularly pass. There was a long line and I wanted to talk to the patrons. I would say all the ones I saw where living on the edge with little money--their clothes, demeanor and speech did not put them in the upper class. I have no idea how the wealthy buy this stuff but I do not think they are standing in line or caught going into some of these places. Perhaps there is a backdoor concierge service for the well heeled. Do the cream of society hire proxies to get it for them because the do not have the time or cannot be seen because of their status and occupations? I am sure many smoke pot even if they publicly voice the expected opinion against such.

Livecontent
Puh lease. Too funny.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Just my two cents. Be careful about buying a condo. From what I heard, a lot of condo HOAs are preventing the smoking of pot.
Legal issues possible if trying to ban a legal substance. They're still kicking the can around though.

Just a smoking ban came up at our annual meeting last December. The property manager stated that there have been zero successful legal defenses upon lawsuits brought after smoking had been banned at various mid/high rises.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
I think it's worth it for the experience of walking into a store and being able to choose from various strains and different sativa/indica ratios. Plus, the prices aren't far from street prices outside CO, and once the novelty wears of and there are more suppliers, the prices will likely drop, as they did for MMJ.
And, much much much much much better quality.

Prices will come down as more shops open a rec side. Up to 50 something now in Denver.

Legal MJ isn't going anywhere. It's here for good. No one will die from an overdose. It has medicinal benefits. Doesn't make you a crazed lunatic. And money. Dear lord the money. I've said this in another thread before, once the politicians see the tax dollars rolling in, watch how fast Washington moves. Hell, D.C. just legalized MMJ.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Sorry buddy I'm a native-nice try. 3rd generation native...
Proudly displaying your "Native" bumpersticker I'm sure.

Funny how THAT is the thing to be hoity toity about around here.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:09 AM

26,167 posts, read 48,881,878 times
[quote=JD401;34040564... Hell, D.C. just legalized MMJ.[/QUOTE]

I wondered what the clowns on capitol hill were smoking ...wacky weed... that's why they can't get off their ass and pass a few laws.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,963,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauburn View Post
How in the world can anyone "prevent the smoking of pot"? What a bunch of rubbish. I can see there's still a ways to go on the attitude front.

It is complete crap, but an HOA could put a lean on your condo if you don't follow the rules of the neighborhood which is 'No pot smoking'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado