Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 AM

12 posts, read 44,593 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to grand junction myself, I lived in Houston and unlike the first post that started this thread I was glad to leave feb of 2007 and as of right now I live in Midland Tx since I graduated from school. I work in the healthcare field as a surgical tech and have seen the posting from the hospital in Grand Junction about their pay rates which are about 10 to 15 k above what I make now living in midland, right about 30k, so it would be a pretty good increase in pay, my question is I have seen the market there and it is actually much like Midland, in that we are very much an oil economy right now and that has destroyed the housing market, everything is very over priced right now, I am talking about an 1200 to 1400 sq ft house built in the early 1950's to 1960's that sell for around 180k, is the market like that also in Grand Junction? but even that is not a stopping point for me as I would be making a third to fifty percent more in pay, I am just looking to get out of Midland as there is not a bloody thing to do here, at least ya'll have fishing, hiking, horseback riding and other activities. Any replies would be appreciated.Eric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:01 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
Eric

The best way to get a sense for real estate prices and availability in the Grand Junction area is to visit realtor.com, enter your parameters and see what come up.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:51 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,702,685 times
I was just on a trip from Meeker to Grand Junction to Delta, and in Meeker they told me that they are building temp housing for workers, since some of the big companies are actually brining people in for 3 weeks to work, then sending them back to whereever they came from for a week, these were US workers also. So maybe he could get work and you could stay put.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:57 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,702,685 times
One thing I have been wondering is whether or not the local produce market has recovered any since there has been an upswing in the market for locally grown and/or organic produce?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,679 times
Hi, just had to agree with your opinion of GJ. I struggled thru six miserable years there and never regretted leaving. I sold my home last august for much more than it was worth, now the flipper who purchased it has had it on the market entering their 4th month. I was so miserable in every way in that shriveled up one horse town, I relocated to a wonderful place called Tyler Texas! Originally I found a great 50's rancher in a great neighborhood for $126k, my new neighbor is a broker and she found my dream home in a quaint rual area 8 miles away called Whitehouse. I now live in a 4plus bonus sunroom, newer home on a beautiful country road with a real SWIMMING POOL in my huge backyard for $180k and I am so grateful! IMO, Grand Junction was a nice place to live up until 1980 but now i would only visit the beautiful areas that surround it. I personally feel Grand Junk is governed by idiots and operates like a communist regime.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 25,179 times
Default small world

You won't believe this...Tyler, TX was my first stop in Texas! That's where I moved to from upstate NY. What a small world!!! Tyler's a nice town. Enjoy it As for me, the move to CO is no longer a consideration. He's there, I'm here. And it's for the best. Thanks all!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,454 times
Default Grand Junction

Hi. I've lived in GJ for over 2 years now. This is not a place you want to live. Yes, there are things to do and it's pretty in the surrounding countryside, but the city itself is a horrible place. The meth-heads and other druggies outnumber the normal people by a lot. There are more homeless people here then people with homes and they are on the buses, the streets, Wal-mart, everywhere. If you don't think about them you may not notice them, but when we first moved here we could not find a place to live due to the extremely high rents and shortage of apartments/homes. So we know what is walking around out there and, trust me, you do not want to live here. Perhaps visit and do the tourist stuff, but leave as soon as you can. People cannot drive here, there are numerous traffic accidents on a daily basis. There are serial rapists, robbers, etc here. For a small-ish town this place has an enormous crime rate, mostly because of the meth problems out here due to the rigs and the easy access to the products to mass produce this drug. The school system is horrid as well. I have 3 children in school here and I am very upset at how lacking their education is. My family plans to move out of this cesspool as soon as we are able. I am not trying to be a downer or rude to anyone who thinks this town is great, I am just trying to warn people about the troubles here. On the outside it's a cute place and seems really nice, but if you honestly know what is going on here....run, as fast as you can away from here and definitely do not make the mistake of moving here!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
You've got to check out Jerry Bckr's photo album here as he has some awesome pics of the Grand Junction town and Grand Valley!

If they have a meth problem, that's too bad. Sounds like a great place to get a job in law enforcement or drug counselling. If life throws you lemons, make lemonade!

Happy weekend!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,034 times
Just some advised from someone who lived there. I am not trying to scare you off and others might disagree with me, its ones experience that's all. I for myself had a very hard time there. Closed minded mentality narrow views and over obsessions on things that big city folk would never think twice about. I felt people there had too much time on there hands and where looking for entertainment at others peoples exspense.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 AM

59 posts, read 229,798 times
GJ is a small town. My husband was born there and a lot of his family still live there. I have been several times as recent as Sept 08. I do think some people still have that small town mentality. It is a good size town for being small. It doesn't have good shopping which is important to some. It doesn't have great selection of restaurants though more and more are coming. It does have a college and I think 3 high schools. I have not heard much about the public schools. I know a lot of parents like the private schooling but that ends at HS I believe. The real estate is crazy. This is not the time to buy in GJ. I would wait until the oil company is gone and there will be a lot of houses on the market. Rent is kind of high too. We looked at moving there to be close to family but not for us. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado