Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 PM

7 posts, read 11,116 times

Advertisements

Exactly what the title says. I have been trying to find something similar to where I grew up back home. Back home if you know where to look you can find plenty of small towns that are 15-45 minutes from bigger city's (80,000+) that have alot available in the country & are secluded/private. Where would be my best bet to look? Lets say theoretically my price range is 150-180k.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Sage1234; 03-09-2014 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 06:12 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
There are plenty of small towns outside of Pueblo and Colorado Springs that might be of interest to you.

East of Colorado Springs are: Calhan, Peyton, Falcon, Yoder, Ellicott, Ramah, Simla, Rush, Truckton

East of Pueblo are a number of small towns along U.S. Rte 50.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:16 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
$150K-$180K won't buy you much at all in what you want . . . try doubling it.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:57 PM

Oh wow, really? So trying to get something even remotely similar to this is unrealistic in that price range? (30 min from town)

Those pictures are not showing up on my phone, so here is a link as well. So even in city's such as Rye, Falcoln & woodland park probably unrealistic?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=7122+...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAA

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-09-2014 at 08:08 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 07:16 PM

Not unless you are willing to have a very modest home in a less than idyllic setting. As Mike suggested, east of Colorado Springs is cheaper, BUT it is not in the mountains, just in a Ponderosa forest (if you're in the right place) and fair chunk of it burned last year. That does somewhat "impair" property values . . .

Black Forest fire caused $85 million in damage to homes, assessor says - The Denver Post

With Colorado's continuing and growing pine beetle infestation, living in the forests is going to continue to become a much more risky proposition--just about anywhere in the state. I've watched the deadly march of the infestation for several years--one area that I've been familiar with for over four decades was a healthy forest until about 10 years ago. As I write this, nearly half the trees are now dead and I can easily see another 10% will die this summer. In this one spot, over a quarter million acres are at risk, and much of that is already moderately to severely infected.

Bob Ward: Colorado Wildfires Are Linked to Global Warming

Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 PM

Thank you both very much for your helpful responses! Those were good articles, the beetles sound terrible!!! It def. makes you think. Black Forrest/the ponderosa-type Forrest would be perfect if I could find something that would work.

So in all of Co. East of Co. Springs/pueblo & in that area is my best bet for what I'm looking for?
Not greeley or anywhere north?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:33 PM

The only area of Colorado east of the mountains that has any significant forestation is the Black Forest which is east and northeast of Colorado Springs (not east of Pueblo). Greeley is well east of the mountains on the shortgrass prairie.
This map pretty much tells it all as far as forestation:

Pine beetle activity 2000-2012 here (and it spread a lot more in 2013):

The only other city or population center outside of the Front Range that is over 80K is Grand Junction. It sits in the high desert, though mountainous areas are within 50 miles or so. Like anyplace else in Colorado, it isn't especially cheap and the price goes up anywhere that one is in an area with trees, mountain terrain, and any kind of reliable water supply. Go cheap and one will lack any one up to all of those amenities. That is pretty much true these days all across the Rocky Mountain West. Living in the region and "cheap" really don't go hand-in-hand.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage1234 View Post
Thank you both very much for your helpful responses! Those were good articles, the beetles sound terrible!!! It def. makes you think. Black Forrest/the ponderosa-type Forrest would be perfect if I could find something that would work.

So in all of Co. East of Co. Springs/pueblo & in that area is my best bet for what I'm looking for?
Not greeley or anywhere north?
Areas out around Greeley might work too, as could some places over on the western slope of the state; I was talking about what I'm most familiar with. There are lots of places out on the eastern plains / prairie that might have the prices you seek but being near a big city limits you to within about 45 miles of I-25.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:01 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
OP, are you looking at anywhere in the entire state? Does that mean that finding employment is not an issue? Is being within 45 minutes of a bigger city a requirement? Are you looking for any size house?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
I would include canon city.

Here are few examples of what you can get there for 150k

1285 Park Ave, Canon City, CO 81212 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

This next one is much smaller, but it has 35 acres:
14300 Highway 9, Canon City, CO 81212 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado