U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 03:32 AM

11 posts, read 51,954 times

Advertisements

I would recommend Grand Junction due to its mild winters, however it is a furnace in the summer. I have no idea what Frances is talking about, my family has lived in the Grand Valley for 40 years and I do think that it is a fine place to reside. However, it is growing rapidly as there are plentiful jobs, so expect another 20,000 people in the coming 10 years.

I live in Craig and love it. Property values are less than the majority of other places in Colorado and while it has cold winters, the spring, summer and fall are wonderful and there are countless outdoor activities to enjoy. There are quite a few country properties that are available as well.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:44 AM

110 posts, read 439,539 times
To anyone that likes or thinks that they would like Grand Junction, I would suggest looking at Montrose. It is about an hour south of GJ, but smaller, less traffic, less polution, prettier setting and not as hot in the summer.

Montrose is growing fast....some would say too fast, but at the same time many new business's and restaurants are moving in as well as offering many different housing options in all price ranges. Housing costs are escalating but still affordable, comparitively speaking, for small desirable cities in Colorado.

The recreation possibilities are endless and being much closer to the mountains makes for a much prettier setting than GJ.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 AM

4,406 posts, read 5,457,151 times
I too have considered moving to Grand Junction but now I'm concerned about the politics of the place. I live in Arizona but want to move to a place that's safer, away from the largest cities, has a ready supply of clean water and has agricultural land nearby that grows food. If you haven't figured it out, I'm forecasting a worst case scenario for our great country and I want to survive the chaos.

If Grand Junction is a neocon bastion (Cheney, Big Oil, fundamentalists), then I'll have to consider elsewhere. I liked Montrose, Delta, Gunnison, Alamosa, Cortez and Grand Junction. The desert and the heat are no problem as I live where the nighttime temperatures are in the 80s for three months. What concerns me weatherwise is the cold. I hate anything under 32, but I grew up with it years ago--I guess I can adjust again. I regard myself as a liberal (I place nature and people concerns WAY above business interests and am against illegal aliens and the wars we fight for oil and resources) so, I guess I'm tailgating on this forum to ask:

Where do you think I'd fit in Western Colorado--or are there better places in New Mexico, Montana, Idaho or Oregon? I've abandoned the Front Range because of the sheer size of the population, the more extreme weather, and traffic concerns. I liked Boulder but didn't like the people. I liked Fort Collins alot. I loved Colorado Springs, but I don't think I can live in a military/defense/fundamentalist town. Oh, by the way, I can't afford Telluride!

THANKS!

Last edited by mhouse2001; 02-28-2007 at 09:58 AM..

Old 03-01-2007, 03:59 AM

476 posts, read 2,123,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
...Where do you think I'd fit in Western Colorado--or are there better places in New Mexico, Montana, Idaho or Oregon? I've abandoned the Front Range because of the sheer size of the population, the more extreme weather, and traffic concerns. I liked Boulder but didn't like the people....
THANKS!
Since you are liberal and liked Boulder, you might look into Durango. It is a liberal city and progressive. Cortez and Grand Junction would probably be too conservative for you. Durango has all four seasons and the winters are better there than most of Colorado. True Grand Junction has the mildest of all of Colorado but it is also a desert.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:18 AM

35 posts, read 176,133 times
I wouldnt exactly call Durango liberal, more centrist. there are alot of cowboys/conservatives there. Thing is western Colorado is conservative, that is just the way it is. Vail and Aspen are both liberal though, and very beutifal. The towns in the central mountians are more liberal than the towns in the San Juans. Stay away from the small western mountian tows if you are liberal, they are VERY conservative. In conclusion: Vail and Aspen= good for liberals.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:33 AM

4,406 posts, read 5,457,151 times
Thank you! I also stayed in Durango and liked it, though I preferred many other locations for scenery. I'll make it a stop the next time I go through. Aspen was the perfect place in my opinion but I don't have twenty million to waste!

Old 03-01-2007, 09:45 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,643,172 times
Boy Frances you seem pretty bitter. I love Grand Junction, my folks retired there. I lived there for a year, it's a beautiful small town with all the big town amienities. So yes, it's got crime. what city doesn't?

It's a great place to retire, in fact it's getting quite full of "grey hairs!" The weatheris nice 4 season's with out 1 season lasting too long. However this winter has been bad for snow! but a bIG storm in GJ is 8inches!! They have just had alot this year. Yes, the summers are Hot. but again they don't last long... last summer we were there for the heat wave...a week of 103-105, but when the sun goes down it cools off. It's High Desert.

Property rates are going up and up. especially in the redlands. My folks live in the Redlands and to me it's the prettiest place in all of GJ. You have the views of the CO Monument (think mini Grand canyon) and you can also get views of the bookcliffs.

The Downtown area is a thriving shopping and eating area. oLd time downtown scene. In the summer every monday night they close off Main street and have a farmers Market.

You kids will love to visit you as do My folks because there is so much to do for those Grand kids too!! White water rafting, mountian biking, hiking, roller blading, tubing, water slide at the city pool, tennis, golf, Glenwood for the hot springs and powerhorn for skiing etc....

We we could I'd move there in a minute with my 3 kids in tow!!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 AM

14,498 posts, read 22,347,982 times
Default Western Colorado?

Western Colorado?

I've lived in Colorado since 1977 and I ask the same thing. What a coincidence!

There's nothing like a drive from California or Vegas up 15 and across 70 in the spring time. As you cross into Colorado it's like going from Mars to the Earth; mountains that actually have trees and greenery, civilizations, just that "Colorado" feel. I've been to all of the adjacent states and it's always good to get back home.

Western Colorado is something I've only seen travelling through, visiting or vacationing. So, it's like a vacation. It's like a road trip to me. If you can settle down there and support yourself and/or land a great job, you are set! I'd have to think that the western slope has been less populated for some reason. Los Angeles- with all of its problems- is a great place to find a job. You can have it.

It's amazing how vastly different Frances and COflower see the same world. I'd like to say that COflower is totally right and Frances is full of "it". But I really don't know. Let's assume that Frances is right. Well, then just get a job in Law, for the police force, the Sheriff's station, or become a State Trooper and clean that place up for the Betterment of Colorado!

"If they throw you lemons, make lemonade"- some used car salesman.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Western Colorado?...It's amazing how vastly different Frances and COflower see the same world. I'd like to say that COflower is totally right and Frances is full of "it". But I really don't know. Let's assume that Frances is right. Well, then just get a job in Law, for the police force, the Sheriff's station, or become a State Trooper and clean that place up for the Betterment of Colorado!

"If they throw you lemons, make lemonade"- some used car salesman.
I dont think Grand Junction has that much crime. I lived in Albuquerque, now that is a city with crime! Grand Junction though, not bad in my opinion. I am not saying it is crime free but what place is these days?

Old 03-01-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisco55 View Post
I wouldnt exactly call Durango liberal, more centrist. there are alot of cowboys/conservatives there. Thing is western Colorado is conservative, that is just the way it is. Vail and Aspen are both liberal though, and very beutifal. The towns in the central mountians are more liberal than the towns in the San Juans. Stay away from the small western mountian tows if you are liberal, they are VERY conservative. In conclusion: Vail and Aspen= good for liberals.
It is true rural areas around Durango have more cowboy conservative type people but in the last few years Durango, the city that is, is mostly liberal and becoming more so all the time. Alot of conservatives are moving to Cortez and Pagosa though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or