U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:44 PM

4 posts, read 25,034 times

Advertisements

What area in western CO has the best weather? I know it is CO, *L* I am originally from NW KS so I know all about extreme's, but I now live in So Cal and DH and I are talking about moving to western CO or eastern Utah so we will be closer to our kids. What areas have the best house prices, are there properties in the country? I have had trouble finding anything online as far as country homes go. TIA!

Old 10-23-2006, 03:00 AM

827 posts, read 4,630,344 times
The city with the best weather in western Colorado would be Grand Junction. They grow peaches there and it is wine capital of Colorado. Delta and Cortez are also mild. All of them are in a desert setting and if that is OK with you, then any of these towns are great places to live in. Grand Junction is the largest, Delta and Cortez are smaller towns. The summers will be hotter but still not anything like the lower deserts. Cortez has many rural ranches and ranchettes. You can Google Cortez, CO for more info.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:58 AM

129 posts, read 1,122,162 times
...and don't forget Montrose.

This region is starting to take off, so housing prices are beginning to rise rapidly. All of the towns mentioned are reasonably small -- I think Grand Junction (the largest one listed) has about 40,000 people; the other towns are considerably smaller. There is still a lot of ranchland and open space around, but as I mentioned, prices are starting to go up.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:44 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,901,514 times
Oh how I miss Grand Junction.

Not much snow but it does stay a little cooler longer simply because it's in a valley. Very little wind (oh how I miss that compared to the Front Range).

One of the truly nice things about Grand Junction is that you have the best of it all. Smaller community but it's the hub of the Western Slope so you get shopping. Water sports in the summer, skiing not too far in the winter and if you drive the correct route, you can get to Moab in around 70 minutes -- that's not going the standard route which is about 90 minutes.

Housing is very reasonable. Although if you want land, you want to look more towards Fruita and Mack (and that general area) which is just west of GJ. Land costs up in the Redlands (the area that backs up to the Colorado National Monument) isn't cheap.

Grand Junction and surrounding communities are always seemingly throwing some kind of event or festival.

Annually is Country Jam which is fun even if you aren't big on country music. I actually had a blast the two years I went.

When it gets really hot in the valley I would pack up the dog and go hiking around The Grand Mesa where it can be 30 or even cooler during the hot days.

The Peach Fest in the fall along with the Wine Fest too. There are good restaurants, the mall is pretty decent and they even bring in acts like George Winston and have a symphony. I've been to a small concert featuring Los Lobos which was a blast as well.

If you like to golf, there are a ton of golf courses around the area and extending into Montrose and up the valley near Glenwood and Carbondale.

If you like some quiet bike riding, I used to go up 25 road onto BLM land and let the dog loose while I rode around and up some of the hills and such.

I miss the place a lot. Know of a good real estate company over there but I can't post it here.

Wish I could go back but probably not for a few years.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:26 AM

827 posts, read 4,630,344 times
COflower, you are right about Grand Junction. It is a nice city. I love up at Grand Mesa too! All those beautiful little lakes around there and there are a lot of them. Skyway and all up in there is really neat to explore. It is amazing how much cooler it can be up there and then get back to GJ, it is a big difference. Grand Junction should be on anyone's short list for wanting a mild place to live in Colorado and also likes the desert.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:04 PM

Location: Currently Phoenix, formerly lived in Nevada, Colorado, Alaska
14 posts, read 81,592 times
Grand Junction is a great place to retire. Pretty affordable housing, shopping, nice scenery especially up on the Grand Mesa, close to many areas of natural beauty and the city is not too big. Wages are pretty low for the working class person unless you have a specialty ie: Doctor, Lawyer, Wine Maker!
It has a nice little college too!

I miss it!

Old 10-30-2006, 11:21 AM

11 posts, read 55,244 times
momofgjc

Try realtor.com for housing listings in all areas.

Vikki

Old 10-31-2006, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 16,338 times
The only thing that's "nice" about this area is the weather. Now, here's the truth from someone that's raised five kids here in the last twenty+ years.
Grand Junction is known to many here as "Sponge Junktion". This town is a swill of booze, and drugs, and it's been this way forever. Expect to see a lot of homeless laying around in the parks downtown, and begging along side the roads. Some are violent, but most are just sick, and drunk.
The crime rate is high- burglaries of houses, and vehicles both have risen dramatically these last few years because of the meth use that's been allowed to flourish here for the last couple of generations. Rapes, and murders have been on the rise as well.
This is the only place I've ever heard of where people come to steal from yardsales. That's a sure sign of the kind of character of people you'll find here.
The graduation rates from high school dropped another four percentage points this last year while school board administrators give themselves an 11% pay raise. There is little diversity, little imagination, and no tolerance for anyone with an independent thought. A lot of the population is illiterate, they live in squalor, and are dependents on the state for one reason, or another (low, low wages, as was said).
I've found a lot of citizens to be rude, ignorant, and clueless. The powers that be are neo-cons. They believe that they, and only they have the right answers to everything.
Another word of caution. Do Not get into "the system" here in any way, shape, or form. Once they've got your number you'll be indebted to "the suits" here for years. Everything that's done in this town is for REVENUE that helps only to support their lifestyles.
If you're the type of person that doesn't pay much attention to anything that's going on around you, then, you might survive here, if you've got the income to support it.
Just remember: keep all your doors locked, and your business to yourself. This is not the quaint little town that it appears...

"I never did give anybody any hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell." -Harry Truman

Last edited by Frances; 10-31-2006 at 02:36 PM..

Old 11-03-2006, 01:50 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,901,514 times
Oddly enough Frances, since I didn't raise (I don't plan on having children) kids there, I found it a very friendly town with a lot of character.

I never felt unsafe and was constantly amused by the teens that had nothing better to do than steal a car and have it plunge into the canal or the beer cans and barely smoldering fire from the previous night when I would go with my dog on near the Bookcliffs. Same stuff kids would do on the Front Range only we did that all in the mountains.

I lived on Bookcliff Ave. in a nice house that was built in the 70s I think. Right off 28 1/4 road.

The couple next door had children and one of them made it into the Air Force Academy. He went to GJ High and was well adjusted and did just fine. The daughter was also active in her school and I even let my neighbor drive my brand new Suburban to take the kids to a school dance.

I had people down the street that I knew that were fun people. I used to sell windows and doors and used to hang out with various people in the area.

One of my father's friends lives up in the Redlands and while he's wacky and out there, I used to go over and have dinner with him and his older "kids" all the time.

I made several friends in the builders over there. All good people.

I had a better and richer social life than I have ever have had in my adult years on the Front Range and I was born and raised in Colorado. I miss those two years I was there as I had a wonderful time living there.

Crime is crime and it happens everywhere. I do believe, however, that the kids in GJ don't have a lot of things going for them if their parents aren't involved. But that could and can be said for Denver (lived there too) and Colorado Springs (live here now and have from 0-25 and from 30-38).

As they say, the grass is greener...Having lived over there, I can say that while it's desert there, the grass is much greener there than my current digs.

Meth isn't just a problem in GJ it's a problem all over. Big deal along with other drugs along the I-25 corridor. This is life.

Stay out of the system, the state of Colorado is not a good place to "get into the system" at all. This isn't unique to Mesa County. I have a friend that's been seriously BURNED by El Paso County because of her son. It's not pretty on the eastern plains either.

Oh and I never worried about my house when I left town from GJ which was quite often.

The world just isn't pretty but GJ is prettier and nicer than many of the cities the same size (think Pueblo - wouldn't want to live there at all). It's pretty diverse from my perspective (conservative to liberal) yet not once in my two years there did I feel concerned for my health or safety.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:43 PM

90 posts, read 281,826 times
COflower - Good post. (What's this "system" you and Frances post about?)

- KK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or