Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times

Advertisements

Nerdynurse, have you looked into the difference between wages where you currently are and in Colorado Springs? My wife is an RN, and I'm working on my Master's degree and professional finance certifications full time. Despite having only one income, we were easily able to budget more for our monthly rent expense. As an RN here you'll start around 25$/hour. You'll get paid more if you work nights or "per diem", but the money for per diem is not stable. My advice is to look at your living expenses. It's normal for housing to eat up 30% of income. On a nurse's salary without your husband working you would still be able to afford more than 700 to 800 per month. If you are keeping rent that low, you'll have to settle on housing, but I don't know of any place with good nursing wages and exceptionally low cost of living, though that might be present somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 AM

15 posts, read 20,048 times
Lurtsman, thank you for your information. That helps give me a better idea of the wages there.

Thanks all for your input. I think we are going to look our budget, and look at Pueblo. Seems like there are more options in our budget. Any advice is appreciated. :]

Old 03-19-2014, 09:49 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyNurse View Post
Lurtsman, thank you for your information. That helps give me a better idea of the wages there.

Thanks all for your input. I think we are going to look our budget, and look at Pueblo. Seems like there are more options in our budget. Any advice is appreciated. :]
Have you actually ever been to Pueblo? I don't want to knock it, but it's certainly not for everyone. Personally, I'd take a trip to Colorado to check out the places you are thinking about relocating. Visit the hospitals, get a tour from their nurse recruiter and make some contacts. My husband has done this for every relocation we've made, and he's always landed the job. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:28 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyNurse View Post
We are young professionals (I'm an RN and he's an EMT) without children, looking for some place affordable with easy access to outdoor activities and a decent hospital.
How about a nice little place right next door to whatever hospital you end up getting job(s) at? If you have multiple offers, then let us know where the opportunities are and we'll help you evaluate the pros and cons.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:32 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
I would definitely do your due diligence before simply plopping down in Pueblo. Housing is cheap, but the overall crime rate in Pueblo is fairly high.

The 10 Safest Cities in Colorado

Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,289 times
It's kind of a bleak and blah area too. I've driven through a couple times and just wanted to leave immediately

Old 03-20-2014, 08:36 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Apply in Pueblo and the Springs. Evaluate job offers and housing prices together. My wife terminated an interview with the hospital in Pueblo within a few minutes due to the poor professionalism and low level of care being provided. She got job offers from every hospital that she finished an interview with. However, there is a hiring freeze now that may make it much more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado