Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 06:20 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,923,137 times

Advertisements

Trinidad is a dying town in my opinion. It's run by a network of cronies who ensure no good thing will prosper. I had high hopes for the small town a few years ago, but a lot of the signs of life it showed ~2004-2005 have seemingly died off. Ideas that work in other places go to Trinidad to die.

My dire prognosis aside, this is a place that has a lot of potential. It is set in an awesome location and really could be a fantastic "gateway city" into Colorado if it chose to be. It has the bones to be a hub for small business downtown. It has the potential to squeeze in a few more businesses downtown as well as enhance an already decent river walk path.

I doubt it will ever fully tap into its potential. Few places ever really can maximize their potential, really. But Trinidad seems to relish its underuse of its potential. It's really baffling. Trinidad City Government has raised incompetence to a level that only the feds can match. The best thing that could ever happen to that city is the entire city council, mayer, and city manager were all filled by outsiders who have lived in the real world and know how to get things done. The current crop of Trinidad lifers are content with status quo, which is sad because there is so much more that city could be. I could go on, but I risk being too negative and I generally try not to be negative about places, especially since others here enjoy Trinidad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:23 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,321,471 times
Not much can compete with Fredericksburg, VA (except price) but I do agree the town needs help. I live about 30 miles from a town in the same position. Great lakes but poorly managed town.

Trinidad could be a great Western Town(with its history) and can only hope the businesses they have will stay. Plus with all the historic buildings I pray they keep them up and not let the buildings/homes run down. I like Trinidad because of its location and tons of stuff to do around there.

I'll be there in a few months and really take a look at what has gone out of business. Now the town did get behind the golf course and huge development there and you can see what happened to that. It went belly up. That golf development I think really brought the town down. I don't see how they can complete that.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Not much can compete with Fredericksburg, VA (except price) but I do agree the town needs help. I live about 30 miles from a town in the same position. Great lakes but poorly managed town.
Ironically, Fredericksburg is probably the least desirable place my wife and I have lived since we were married. We've lived in Boulder, San Diego, and Monterey. Fredericksburg is pretty nice, but it is quite different from those places. It has nice subdivisions, and a fantastic downtown area and the neighborhoods surrounding it are great, too. But there are parts of this area I'd like to carpet bomb and start from scratch, too. Still, we do like it here. And it's funny you mention price, because it's also one of the least pricey areas we've lived. We bought a house that has nearly 5500 square feet when you include the basement, most of which is finished. We were in the 320s on our purchase price, and it's a pretty nice house with two master suites and some nice finishes throughout (like granite in the kitchen, tile instead of linoleum, etc). We are considered a part of the Washington metro area and benefit from the market stability of being in the NCR, but we are far enough away from the beltway that we are not paying "beltway premiums" for our home.

Quote:
Trinidad could be a great Western Town(with its history) and can only hope the businesses they have will stay. Plus with all the historic buildings I pray they keep them up and not let the buildings/homes run down. I like Trinidad because of its location and tons of stuff to do around there.
I completely agree on the history aspect and feel the city should do more to exploit its history for the well being of its future. There are a lot of history buffs everywhere who would love to visit and learn more if Trinidad gave them a reason to come. Trinidad's historic reputation is actually similar to Dodge City, Kansas. There are some big "wild west" names that are closely associated with Trinidad. The city really is doing itself a disservice by not making this rich history a bigger part of the present.

Location is another badly underused advantage. The area west of Trinidad is as awesome as any place in Colorado. I used to do a lot of hiking and camping up Highway 12 and really like it. Trinidad gives some lip service to the "Scenic Highway of Legends" but they don't seem to follow through and promote the town's location as effectively as they could.

Quote:
I'll be there in a few months and really take a look at what has gone out of business. Now the town did get behind the golf course and huge development there and you can see what happened to that. It went belly up. That golf development I think really brought the town down. I don't see how they can complete that.
My parents still live in Trinidad (much to my chagrin) and I get regular updates to the progress in the town or lack thereof. One of the positives that has emerged in recent years is the Pecos League baseball team based in Trinidad. The Triggers were even featured on a nationally broadcast feature on Fox Sports (which I missed ). My mom really enjoys the Triggers to the point she houses a couple players in her home every season. I am very happy for this opportunity for her and for the community as a whole.

As for Cougar Canyon, it started as a good idea in economically better times. But it hit the skids when the principle investor passed away and there was no hand off. Plus the economy tanked shortly after the project began. It has potential, and may someday be completed if the economy in the area can ever rebound. I also think the city government dragged its feet big time in green lighting it. I remember reports of the project as early as the mid-90s. The city was hesitant to allow it back then. Had they been more open to change and improvement when it presented itself, more of the project could have been completed before the economy tanked and there may just be a viable development on the SE part of town. But this is no normal community, this is Trinidad. Ideas and business models that flourish in the real world die on the vine in Trinidad. Cougar Canyon has potential, but it will take the right combination of vision, capital, ambition, economically friendly conditions and cooperation of city government to make it happen. All these ingredients hitting at the same time and right time...I don't see it happening any time soon.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,580,892 times
I've been going through Trinidad since 1981 and can't say it's changed much at all.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:40 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,321,471 times
Do your parents like Trinidad?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Do your parents like Trinidad?
Not really. They turn like a battleship though, so I don't see them moving anytime soon. My dad is in and our of town for work right now. He won't even give the rear view mirror a glance if they ever move away. My mom will miss some friends but I think she would find a new start elsewhere refreshing.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,490,717 times
While the local govt ought to allow some marijuana dispensaries as the vacancy rate for stores hovers at 40 or 50%, ands raw land is cheap for cultivation there isn't too much that government can do. The City Inspector is strict and that hurts the purchase and rehab of old buildings.

I think in most small towns people have hte same compalint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado