Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:53 AM

15 posts, read 19,982 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to Pueblo in the next 6 months or so. We are both in the medical field (I'm an RN and he's an EMT) and we love the outdoors (why we're moving to CO). We were wanting some information on the area.

What is the better hospital in town?

What are the better neighborhoods in the area?

Any concerns/issues we should be aware of before moving here?

We would be greatful for any advice you locals have to offer. :]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 AM

17,924 posts, read 27,329,645 times
I would say Parkview for most fields of medicine, perhaps St. Mary Corwin for some oncology and things like that. The many medical centers and several emergicares do well too. I'm not well versed on the admin side of medicine.

Pueblo and the area is what you might consider affordable. It's not as populated as the Front Range from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins, not as much to do, slower paced, older and a little run down, etc. But Pueblo is hanging in there and growing a bit.

Joss will be along to express some of the charms of this old town, a decently preserved historic district and growing riverwalk, the charms of a few mom n pop businesses, etc. You are at the gateway to the mountains here with the Wet Mountains via Colorado City Rye and San Isabel just 30 miles south on I-25, mountains beyond Cañon City about 30 miles to the west with the Royal Gorge, skiing at Monarch, and gambling at Cripple Creek etc beyond that... then you've got Colorado Springs 35 miles to the north.

The Ark Valley is to the east along the Arkansas River with a lot of agriculture and the historic Santa Fe Trail.

If you like golfing, Pueblo and Pueblo County has a lot to offer there. Hiking around Pueblo Reservoir, up in the Beulah and San Isabel area, as well as fishing camping biking etc.

So where are you from now and what else do you specifically want to know about the area? Are you from the Ozarks? You'll be shocked by the lack of trees and greenery and water out here in the high plains desert of the Southwest.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:53 PM

We're from the Ozarks originally, but currently live in the Ouachita mountains. We have been to the area and like the dry heat over Arkansas's humidity. I appreciate your information so far. :]

I was wondering a lot about the area. Are there any cool organic/natural food stores, farmer's markets, or natural deli's or bakeries in the area? How about the best mom & pop restaurants?

We're looking at Pueblo West. Do you need to drive in to Pueblo for everything or is it pretty self sufficient?

What's the best way to find reputable realtors and mortgage brokers in the area?

Any neighborhoods to avoid?

Old 03-25-2014, 07:07 PM

12,260 posts, read 24,388,362 times
I like both hospitals to be honest. Yes you have to drive in Pueblo. Avoid the lower east side (south of highway 50 eat and north of business 50 east) and a area called Bessemer around Northern Ave.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:50 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,076,230 times
I think she may be asking more about if she has to go out of Pueblo West to find services rather than if the car is the required method of transportation. I'd be pretty set on having a car in Pueblo West, but I don't know how often you need to drive in to Pueblo for services, though given the sizes of the areas I would expect that the answer largely depends on where you like to shop.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:40 PM

lurtsman, that is correct. I'm interested in if I can do my grocery shopping and get a bite to eat, or if it's mainly a bedroom community and I'll have to drive to Pueblo for everything.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:22 PM

12,260 posts, read 24,388,362 times
You can do grocery shopping as PW has a Safeway and Sams Club and there are some restaurants but for most things you will have to drive into the city of Pueblo.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:10 PM

17,924 posts, read 27,329,645 times
Yeah, I'd agree that you will have to head into Pueblo at least a couple of times a week, and you may want to head to CoSprings a couple times a month more or less.

You need to go to Pueblo for; the Mall, King Soopers/Catos/Vitamin Cottage/Target... off of 29th and Dillon rd, Sams/Home Depot/TinselTown/Barnes and Cheyrnoble/Petsmart/etc. Just north on Dillon towards hwy 50/47, then over off of Eagleridge you've got Bed Bath and Beyond/Kohls/Old Navy/Chilis/Best Buy, then stuff on the South Side including Lowes/Joe and Tony's Pizza and sports bar/Mi Ranchitos on Thatcher and Pueblo blvd/ a King Soopers Safeway and Albertsons near Northern and Prairie.

Our Vitamin Cottage is small but nice imo. There's another section of businesses out on the mesa or south and east on Sante Fe too. If you get out that way, try Gidonnes for Italian food and the original Mi Ranchitos or the newly located Romeros or Pass Key on Abriendo near I-25 for an Italian sausage sandwich aka grinder aka Pass Key.

If you're in the Bessemer area, check out La Tronics or Gusses for Italian on Mesa and Abriendo just north of Northern and west of I-25. Just south of Northern on Evans or Route is the Mill Stop, Jorges, and Pasta Cottage (great Italian takeout homemade noodles meatballs etc), Clam Shell (dive bar some folks like to eat at).

Then in the downtown area you got Japanese, Rio Bistro, wonderful Indian at Mr Tandooris (between d and c street on Victorias),Bingo Burgers, Shortys for an even better burger, Stardust, Josè Muldoons, Joe Tomatos for the best sandwiches on bomeade bread over in the Mesa Junction area by the Library on Main Street, also the Pantry on Abriendo and Colorado aka Union, Mexi-Deli...

Whew.

I have Best Mexican food thread and Italian food threads I'll see if I can link;

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...-take-2-a.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...lian-food.html

Now, in Pueblo West there's not much in the way of good cuisine but you have to try Daves Deli south of Joe Martinez on McColloch, Dew Drop in case you like their pizza but if not, try their breakfast burrito, decent Japanese food near the Walmart, decent Chinese food south of hwy 50 there or better than decent Thia food by the Safeway and Vietnames food south of 50 on Purcell.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:09 AM

133 posts, read 483,914 times
Huge round of applause for McGowdog for the food post!!!

Now how bout some craft brewery & beer recommendations for the husband here? Anyone... Anyone... Bueller?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 PM

What about any natural food stores or deli's?

How are the libraries in the area? I'm a big reader, and would love a decent library.

Any good, family owned outdoor stores we should utilize? Or other local businesses to try? We hate giving our money to big chain businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado