Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
...defining "what is" out of control growth. Definitions seem to change over time. Beauty being in the eye/ear of the beholders, each of us have a different opinion about the same communities, art, music, food, coffee, drinks, sports, cars, etc.

I'm sure that somewhere there is a discussion board that focuses totally on the issues of growth, both the out of control type and the smart type and whatever types there are. We here are certainly welcome to play with the topic all we want, but most of us are total laypersons on the topic, though some do have more insight or learning than others.

Further, valid descriptions of what is good growth, bad growth, smart growth, stupid growth probably changes from city to city or region to region or for specific situations. I'm sure that growth needs to be tailored to fit just right, and there's probably an art to it, possibly more political art as much as anything else.

Part of the problem goes back to my comments in the driving-rant thread, about how we Americans like to think we're all unique, rugged individualists. Every land owner or developer feels they have the inalienable right to do whatever they want to do with a plot of land they own, be it ten acres or ten thousand. When governments try to impose smart restraints they often end up in court and it often ends up in the ballot box too. Government takes it in the ear, on both sides, in one ear they get it from those wanting smart growth, in the other ear they get it from land owners who want to exercise their "right" as capitalists in a "free country" to do what they want with what they own.

Back in Loudoun County, VA, they just voted out all but one max-growth type on the county council. A few years before, Loudoun had a no-growth county council who imposed a minimum 50-acre per house rule, which pushed homebuilding out to WV - for a while. The no-growth types lost their seats to pro growth types who were backed by developer money. Now its back to slow/no growth. As you can imagine, Loudoun County is bollixed up with traffic and sprawl issues.

To draw again on my Germany example from Cold War days, they were a nation of 55 million in a land area the size of Oregon. You'd better believe that land use was tightly controlled. Had to be. Most towns ended at clear cut off points and immediately across the street began the farms that supported the nation's food production. No McMansions or mini-estates. No sprawling sub-divisions. Lots of mid and high rise apartment or condo blocks. For the most part, people lived in tight towns and walked or took the bus, trolley or subway to get around. It was marvelous. For those who wanted to plant a veggie garden, there were town plots of land set aside and people would get a 20x20 square to raise veggies. Some of these plots had what we would call a lawn shed, and some spent their weekends in these tiny places to 'camp out' and get away from the house. Most towns had a public sports hall with a pool and a town soccer team and field. Amazing stuff. Very civilized, a far cry from our "home is my castle" attitude of entitlement here.
Some good observations, Mike. One thing most all Americans have forgotten about "freedom" is summed up by the old saying, "Your right to swing your fist stops at the end of my nose." People these days think that they should be able to do whatever with no thought about its effects on their neighbors or communities. That is wrong--and it will ultimately lead to losses of freedoms for all of us. As you also point out, population growth and resultant crowding eventually require restraints on personal freedom. Those who think that the U.S. should do nothing about immigration, etc. really need to think about that. It's simple: More crowding = less freedom. It's hard to swing your fist anywhere you want when everywhere you look there is somebody's nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 08:54 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,181,698 times
I lived in Boulder in the '90's for a few years then moved around for the next 13 years, mostly to different parts of Florida (I'm originally from Miami Beach). I just moved back to Colorado in August along with my husband (who's originally from England). We've been renting a short term apartment in Broomfield, at Camden Interlocken (which is right behind Flatiron Crossing mall) while we were waiting for our house to sell in Florida (it sold last month).

When house hunting for our next home, we first considered Boulder, then Superior, then Broomfield, then Louisville. We finally settled back on Broomfield, in the Willow Park subdivision (which is an absolutely wonderful neighborhood - safe, with wide streets that are great for taking walks or jogs, friendly neighbors, close to shopping, dining and entertainment, about a 15 to 20 minute drive to both Boulder and Denver). $335,000 is getting us a beautiful 5 bedroom, 3 and a half bath 3300 square foot home with bay windows, a good sized yard, and a three car garage. Coming from Miami (or any other big city) that's an amazing deal! The closing is on the 21st of this month, so less than two weeks away. We can't wait to move into our new home.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:58 PM

272 posts, read 619,443 times
I spent my first two months at a Homestead Studio Suite in Aurora -- I only planned to visit for a week. I originally arrived in April 05 and decided to permanently stay in May 05. I returned to Nashville in July to ship items to Colorado.

I soon settled into Superior until I left Colorado in May 06 to return to Canada (my ex lives there). I recently returned to Colorado in April '07 and presently reside in Westminster. I am partial to the Northwestern corridor of North Denver, however, I also like the South as well.

Right now, I am torn between staying in the Northwest or moving down to Denver or the South. I'm not sure yet, but overall, I love Denver not for its people, but for its pristine beauy.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 AM

20 posts, read 78,293 times
In 2000, we transfered to Denver for my husband's work. On the recommendation of others in his office, we settled in Highlands Ranch. We were blissfully unaware of the vociferous dislike some have for the area. We bought in an older subdivision with comparatively established trees and landscaping. The sameness of the houses was a little unusual for us at first but we lived a very comfortable lifestyle. The close proximity of parks, trails and other facilities were perfect for our young and expanding family.

Our neighbours were wonderful and welcoming and remain our good friends today even though we returned to our home country after three years. They couldn't have been more hospitable and warm.

We are soon to relocate back to Denver, this time permanently and for many reasons, will most probably end up living again in Highlands Ranch. I hope and trust that most people will be just as friendly as we remember and not view us as another bunch of immigrants adding to Colorado's expanding population.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:58 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,062,935 times
I know this thread is 2 months old but, I feel I am MOST qualified to answer! (Sorry Jazzlover!!)

1st: I grew up in Denver (North). Went to grade, junior and high school there. Graduated from North High School. Lived by Willis Case Golf Course(MY first job BTW).

2cnd: I owned my first home at 18 in Denver and was a hairstylist on Colorado Blvd. (commuted, very popular now.)

3rd: Bought my 2cnd home in Arvada(not far from Golden, off of Ward Road) My ex of 30 years is still in the same home (paid off now, the BRAT!!HA!!)

Next....I lived in Aurora ( was a school bus driver for Cherry Creek Schools (the best, still is) for 6 years.

I raised my 30 year old in Cherry Creek and, my youngest until he was 4 years old, they are 10 years apart.

I spent a LOT of time off of the I70 corridor and ended up in SOUTHERN COLORADO in 1995.

One would think with ALL of the diversity on Colorado, North, East, South and West.....I would have my fave??? HMMMM???

To tell the truth, I will ALWAYS love the I70 corridor. I can't help it!! I used to travel up I70 to go to the mountains with my family...to pickle gulch, when I was little....I lived in Aurora only to, cut hair in Kitteridge (because i got 48 dollars a cut).1994.

I grew up in North Denver, raised my first child in Aurora....then moved to Canon City when my youngest was in Junior High!!

I, of course, have familly throughout Colorado Springs and Denver AND, I remember when Castle Rock and Morrison were places you didn't even want to stop in, much less LIVE!! EWWW!!!

Hindsight is 20/20...isn't it???

I now am in Vero Beach, Florida ( since May 1, 2007). What was I thinking?

I WILL be moving back to Canon City, Colorado in 5 weeks!!YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live somewhat of a dream...........I am directly on the beach (actually the most vulnerable house). YES, I am constantly looking and hearing the waves and ocean...(it changes almost hourly). AND STILL, I LONG FOR MY HOME IN COLORADO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both of my Colorado Born and Bred sons (one 30 and one 20) long to be back in Colorado) hate my home in Florida!! GOSH, can you imagine that?? I thought they would be impressed, walking out of the door onto the sand and beach....within steps of the ocean...........NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE VERY place they thought they wanted to leave.......they NOW long for....THE GOOD OLE MOUNTAINS.
My oldest son, lives and works in Rhode Island (he is a professor at Johnson & Wales University)....he LOVES DOWNTOWN DENVER!!!!!!

My youngest is in Honolulu, Hawaii....he is a Cryptologist for the Navy......He also LOVES COLORADO and wants to end up in Denver/Aurora ( where he was born).

My point is this..............I am probably the most DIVERSE person who has experienced MOST OF COLORADO.

I have lived and grown up in central (DENVER) ...Aurora, Arvada, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, AND STILL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> My favorite place is...............CANON CITY, COLORADO!!!!!!!!!!

This is my 13th home I've owned. I am neither a BIG city girl OR a SMALL city girl!!

I equally LOVE.....(snooty VAIL, ASPEN, BRECKINRIDGE, EVERGREEN, BOULDER).....really, I DO!!!

I LOVE DENVER, AURORA, PARKER (MY OLD STOMPING GROUND)...etc.
I love to go to GeorgeTown in the first week of December and stand around the fire in the middle of town,,,,, Go to Breckenridge for the October Fest!! (VERY COOL!!!!)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE....VAIL for their skiing and wonderful shops that you can't find ANYWHERE ELSE!!.....................Where are the Clysdales??

ASPEN....oh yeah,....ASPEN? Where else do you want to find a MANY of stars walking by you or...snub you because you DONT have the BEST CAR OR CLOTHES!! BELIEVE ME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it WILL make you feel inferior!!!!!!!!!!YEP!!

The NORTH part of Colorado......I was in Ft Collins for a bit.........hate it...it is NOT Colorado!!!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!! NEITHER is GREELEY ( although, I like Greeley)

Berthoud would be the ONLY NORTHERN TOWN I would pick for Colorado!!

I grew up in North Denver...right by Elitches and Lakeside;;;

I would totally pick SOUTHERN COLORADO!!!!!!!!!! BE IT,,,,, Colorado Springs,.............Fountain.........or.......... CANON CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO WEST ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CANON CITY IS THE BANANA BELT OR/ THE CLIMATE CAPITOL OF COLORADO!

VISIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY HOME...........it IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 02-10-2008, 08:03 PM

SheridanL I think has lived in more Colorado locales than I have. To protect my privacy, I won't list my various locales specifically, but I've lived on both the Eastern and Western Slope, in both the big cities and little towns, right in town, and on a ranch with the nearest neighbor nearly two miles away.

I have been blessed to see literally just about every nook and cranny of Colorado in my 50 plus years.

So, thinking of the Johnny Cash song now popular on a hotel chain commercial, "I've Been Everywhere, Man," herewith is the list of the towns I've visited, usually many times, in Colorado. I'm not a poet or lyricist, I didn't try to rhyme them. Some of the towns don't even exist, anymore; others didn't exist themselves until a few years ago. I didn't realize how many there were until I started listing them (an astute Colorado geographer can probably figure out the ones not on my list that I haven't been to--there are some):

Agate, Aguilar, Akron, Alamosa, Allenspark, Allison, Alma, Almont, Anton, Antonito, Arapahoe, Arboles, Arlington, Arriba, Arvada, Aspen, Atwood, Ault, Aurora, Austin, Avon, Avondale, Bailey, Basalt, Battlement Mesa, Bayfield, Beaver Creek, Bedrock, Bellvue, Bennett, Berthoud, Bethune, Beulah, Black Forest, Black Hawk, Blanca, Boncarbo, Bond, Boone, Boulder, Boyero, Breckenridge, Briggsdale, Brighton, Broomfield, Brush, Buena Vista, Buffalo Creek, Burlington, Burns, Byers, Cahone, Calhan, Campo, Canon City, Capulin, Carbondale, Carr, Cascade, Castle Rock, Cedaredge, Centennial, Center, Central City, Chama, Cheraw, Cherry Hills, Cheyenne Wells, Chimney Rock, Chipita Park, Chromo, Cimarron, Cimarron Hills, Clark, Clifton, Climax, Coal Creek, Coaldale, Collbran, Colorado City, Colorado Springs, Commerce City, Como, Conejos, Conifer, Cope, Copper Mountain, Cortez, Cory, Cotopaxi, Cowdrey, Craig, Crawford, Creede, Crested Butte, Crestone, Cripple Creek, Crook, Crowley, Cuchara, Dacono, De Beque, Deer Trail, Del Norte, Delta, Denver, Dillon, Dinosaur, Divide, Dolores, Dotsero, Dove Creek, Drake, Dumont, Dupont, Durango, Eads, Eagle, Eastlake, Eaton, Eckert, Eckley, Edgewater, Edwards, Egnar, El Jebel, Elbert, Eldorado Springs, Elizabeth, Empire, Englewood, Erie, Estes Park, Evans, Evergreen, Fairplay, Firestone, Flagler, Fleming, Florence, Florissant, Forest Lakes, Fort Collins, Fort Garland, Fort Lupton, Fort Lyon, Fort Morgan, Fountain, Fowler, Foxton, Franktown, Fraser, Frederick, Frisco, Fruita, Fruitvale, Galeton, Gardner, Gateway, Genoa, Georgetown, Gilcrest, Gill, Glade Park, Glen Haven, Glendale, Glenwood Springs, Golden, Granada, Granby, Grand Junction, Grand Lake, Granite, Grant, Greeley, Green Mountain Falls, Greenwood Village, Grover, Guffey, Gulnare, Gunnison, Gypsum, Hamilton, Hartsel, Hasty, Haswell, Haxtun, Hayden, Henderson, Hereford, Hesperus, Highlands Ranch, Hillrose, Hillside, Hoehne, Holly, Holyoke, Homelake, Hooper, Hot Sulphur Springs, Hotchkiss, Howard, Hudson, Hugo, Hygiene, Idaho Springs, Idalia, Idledale, Ignacio, Iliff, Indian Hills, Jamestown, Jaroso, Jefferson, Joes, Johnson Village, Johnstown, Juanita, Julesburg, Karval, Keenesburg, Ken-Caryl Ranch, Kersey, Keystone, Kim, Kiowa, Kirk, Kit Carson, Kittredge, Kremmling, La Boca, La Jara, La Junta, La Salle, La Veta, Lafayette, Lake City, Lake George, Lakewood, Lamar, Laporte, Larkspur, Las Animas, Lazear, Leadville, Lewis, Limon, Lindon, Littleton, Livermore, Loma, Lone Tree, Longmont, Louisville, Louviers, Loveland, Lucerne, Lyons, Mack, Maher, Manassa, Mancos, Manitou Springs, Manzanola, Marble, Marvel, Masonville, Matheson, Mc Clave, Mc Coy, Mead, Meeker, Meredith, Merino, Mesa, Milliken, Minturn, Model, Moffat, Molina, Monarch, Monte Vista, Montrose, Monument, Morrison, Mosca, Mountain Village, Nathrop, Naturita, Nederland, New Castle, New Raymer, Niwot, Northglenn, Norwood, Nucla, Nunn, Oak Creek, Ohio City, Olathe, Olney Springs, Ophir, Orchard, Orchard City, Ordway, Otis, Ouray, Ovid, Oxford, Padroni, Pagosa Junction (Gato), Pagosa Springs, Palisade, Palmer Lake, Paoli, Paonia, Parachute, Paradox, Parker, Parlin, Parshall, Peetz, Penrose, Peyton, Phippsburg, Pierce, Pikes Peak, Pine, Pinecliffe, Pitkin, Placerville, Platteville, Pleasant View, Poncha Springs, Powderhorn, Pritchett, Pueblo, Pueblo West, Purgatory, Ramah, Rand, Rangely, Read, Red Cliff, Red Feather Lakes, Red Wing, Redstone, Redvale, Rico, Ridgway, Rifle, Rockvale, Rocky Ford, Roggen, Rollinsville, Romeo, Rush, Rye, Saguache, Salida, San Luis, San Pablo, Sanford, Sargents, Sedalia, Sedgwick, Segundo, Seibert, Severance, Shawnee, Sheridan, Sheridan Lake, Silt, Silver Plume, Silverthorne, Silverton, Simla, Slater, Slick Rock, Snowmass, Snowmass Village, Snyder, Somerset, South Fork, Springfield, Starkville, Steamboat Springs, Sterling, Stoneham, Stonewall, Stonington, Strasburg, Stratton, Sugar City, Superior, Swink, Tabernash, Telluride, Tercio, Thornton, Timnath, Toponas, Towaoc, Trinidad, Twin Lakes, Two Buttes, Vail, Victor, Villa Grove, Virginia Dale, Vona, Walden, Walsenburg, Walsh, Ward, Watkins, Weldona, Wellington, Westcliffe, Westminster, Weston, Wetmore, Wheat Ridge, Whitewater, Widefield, Wiggins, Wild Horse, Wiley, Windsor, Winter Park, Wolcott, Woodland Park, Woody Creek, Wray, Yampa, Yellow Jacket, Yoder, Yuma.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:51 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,062,935 times
WOW, Jazzlover!! That is quite a list!! Alphabetical too!!

You have definitely been everywhere in Colorado.

I didn't even know about some of those towns!

I do not know which ones don't exist anymore but, I DO know that some are unrecognizable to me. Aurora and Castle Rock have changed the most!

Oh Yeah, LODO. When I was growing up, I wasn't allowed to go downtown at all.........it was very scary! Larimer Square was awful! Sure wish I would have picked up some real estate back then,....who would have known they were going to clean it up and charge tons to live there????

Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
WOW, Jazzlover!! That is quite a list!! Alphabetical too!!

You have definitely been everywhere in Colorado.

I didn't even know about some of those towns!

I do not know which ones don't exist anymore but, I DO know that some are unrecognizable to me. Aurora and Castle Rock have changed the most!

Oh Yeah, LODO. When I was growing up, I wasn't allowed to go downtown at all.........it was very scary! Larimer Square was awful! Sure wish I would have picked up some real estate back then,....who would have known they were going to clean it up and charge tons to live there????
What has been neat for me is that I have gotten to meet people in many of those towns--especially the small towns. I can honestly say that I have friends and acquaintances in every one of Colorado's 64 counties.

Oh, and I did find two other spots that I've been that I didn't get on this list--Edith and Hermosa. There are probably a few more.

If someone were to ask me the favorite town I have lived in, I would have to say Gunnison. Despite living through one of the coldest, snowiest winters on record there (worse than this one), it was a neat place to live. This was back when it was still primarily a ranching community before the absentee ranchers and developers moved in. Gunnison is still a nice town, but not like it was. My all-time favorite town in Colorado was Durango in the 1960's, though I didn't get to live there. Durango has changed completely since then--I don't know that I could live there now, even if it was affordable (which it's not).

PS--I know what you mean about LODO back in the late '60's and early 70's. I was working summer jobs in Denver then, and--while driving through LODO in the middle of the day--witnessed an altercation on Blake Street between two bums that quickly escalated into a homicide. I still think of that horror every time I go to LODO.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:13 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,957,630 times
Default ...and these?

Animas Forks, Beartown, Eureka, Gladstone?

Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
I know what you're saying, Franco, but my gripe is with the out-of-control growth here in CO, not reasonable growth - this I can deal with.
I mostly don't like ditto's negative comments on this forum. And I think there is out of control growth in a lot of places, not just CO or Denver. One thing I have noticed, though, is that they seemed to build subdivisions first, and consider incorporation later. I have some knowledge about urban planning, at least in CA. And that kind of development would never have been approved there. I'm thinking of unincorporated Jeffco with Littleton addresses, Centennial, and Highlands Ranch. It seems backwards to me. Does anyone know how any of that came about, why it was approved, were people unhappy about it at the time? I know people were unhappy about HR. But what about the 1970's and 1980's development in Jeffco and what is now Centennial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado