U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 02:07 AM

21 posts, read 144,754 times

Advertisements

I agree with Kaligirl. The people in Colorado are the biggest advertisement for their state. Can't wait to call Colorado home!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 03:46 AM

827 posts, read 4,630,344 times
Kaligirl, it really isn't hard to drive in snow. Just take it slow, make sure you have plenty of time to stop. Don't follow close behind someone and slow down gently before coming to a complete stop. Don't just slam on the brakes to stop. The problem with some is they get over confident and drive too fast in the snow and that is when you see wrecks. It won't be often you have to drive in it, but just take it easy, relax and use caution and you'll be fine. Since you live out in California, try to drive up to Big Bear, Tahoe or some place high up in CA, in the winter, when it snows and get some driving lessons, that way you'll have more confidence when you are driving in Colorado.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:19 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,369,905 times
If my SIL, who is originally from the tropical Phillipines can adapt to U.S. East Coast cold/damp weather, anyone can adapt to the cold! Nothing to add re: CA / CO - just my .02 about adapting to a new climate.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 10-25-2006, 07:29 AM
Cin

72 posts, read 278,132 times
Default Kaligirl

You said you have cold feet at times...I can relate. I am trying to sell my house(big problem in AZ)and move to Fort Collins,CO and I am nervous at times...natural when you have been somewhere for so long 17 yrs too long! I really believe in my heart part of what makes a place special is who you have with you. If you have a huge sense of community,family etc....the places that don't seem so great become more beautiful because of who you share it all with. I no longer have anyone here in AZ...extended family and I do have a couple friends but....not enough reason to stay. My kids thriving in the schools was what made me think I should stay and my church ministry and our mortgage being paid off in 13 yrs due to refinance and then I had to seriously think about my own and husbands actual quality of life...meaning friends and a feeling of joy in our environment and realized we have to try to leave because life is to short to let fear stop us from finally having beauty and a friendlier community. I still am nervous but excited too....I don't think it is possible to not have some doubt. Hope this helps..Best to you!(Mabey we should move to the same town!)

Old 10-25-2006, 10:20 AM

615 posts, read 2,761,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
I would also factor in your daughter, what does she want? What future will she have in SD or Colorado. Which would you prefer her to be raised in?
Our kids would still move back to San Diego in a heartbeat, but what life will really be there for them in the future? Will they be able to afford their own home? Will they be able to afford the otherwise high cost of living?

We had a small older home in Santee (built in 1959) and sold it to a young family where both of them work full time and they did a zero down loan. I know they stretched themselves to the brink of what they could afford. It is very sad that many people have to do that to become home owners there. That is what my kids would face as a future if they were to try to move back there.

Around Colorado you can find much more affordable housing, so it is far more likely that they will be able to get a job and become home owners here. That realization helped me make up my mind that we needed to get out of the San Diego area while we could and before the kids got any older. I don't regret that decision, but the wife and kids still miss the friends they left behind and playing at the beach.

Last edited by gpraceman; 10-25-2006 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-25-2006, 11:06 AM

45 posts, read 323,905 times
I certainly am not trying to change your mind, Colorado is my home and I almost want to start talking people out of moving because it's my own little secret. I went to USD and my husband is from Claremont and surfed as a kid. He starts Jonesen hard around Jan/Feb, our "snowiest"/"grey-brown" months and usually we try to plan a trip to Cali or other warm destination at that time. He also keeps film footage on his computer of surfing to calm him in his blues. But, whenever we visit LA, we never regret having moved back to Colorado.

Did you know that Colorado has more sunny days than San Diego??? We just don't have Green Season and Brown Season like you do. We actually get 4 seasons. We are going to Moab for Thanksgiving to Quad-run. And, as far as mtn biking - yes, but it'll have to be in the foothills. It's not like the East Coast where it snows and you can take a drill test to measure the snow fall. Our snow melts between snow storms and roads are clear, in the front range anyhow.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:01 PM

23 posts, read 87,801 times
Default gpraceman

My wife and I just moved to Santee in April from Fashion Valley.

The house we are renting was built in 1959 and might even be in your old neighborhood. It's right next to the lakes.

The area has grown on me. I guess if we can acclimate to Santee, we can adjust to just about anywhere.

So was the weather change difficult for your family?

I hear Highlands Ranch is a desirable area to live in Denver. Good schools, low crime, etc. Do you have a feel of how it compares to Santee?

Old 10-25-2006, 01:23 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 330,299 times
Thumbs down CA vs. CO

My cousin just sold her house in souther CA (kinda close to LA) and moved down to CO.

Her home USED to be in a very nice, middle-class neighborhood, which now is a sourrounded by the MS-13 gangs and cracktown. She amazingly sold it for a lot of $ and moved to CO Springs. She has not been this happier for years.

CA is over, my friends. I think I rather live in Alaska then CA nowadays, specially after vsiting my counsin a few years back. There are illegal aliens with high powered machineguns (which are illegal in CA, but does that stop them... nah) and MS-13 gangs are taking over the streets. It is shameful. Between the illegal problem, crime, high taxes, and extremely high cost of living, it is fair for my cousin to say that "CA is officially part of Mexico now".

So get out of CA while you can and remember the politicians who ALLOWED Cali to get out of control as it is now. The same ones who want to give the amnesty and change our country to be like CA.

Get to CO as soon as you can... or it could be too late.

Last edited by Christian11; 10-25-2006 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Type

Old 10-25-2006, 07:37 PM

117 posts, read 577,182 times
I think we all are going to have to get together and have a snow driving lesson day. I'll bring the cones.
Anyone have an old Gremlin we can use to test drive with?

Old 10-25-2006, 09:33 PM

50 posts, read 274,837 times
I remember my first snow storm in Reno NV--it also was the "snow storm to come to them in over 10 years!" of course it HAD to be our first winter there! I was scared to death, however, you do get used to it--and I got better at it-you just take it slow and watch out for black ice(which I assume you have in CO?) That about did me in---that and bridges---the ice on them--went slipping and sliding along-but you do get used to it! First time I landed in our front yard (LOL)

I agree about CA getting bad-everyday and I mean EVERYDAY I go to work-our office building is tagged---it's depressing-the owners of the building come and paint over only to have them now tag on the glass windows-which is harder to get rid of! I am also tired of seeing so many stores leaving (Tony Romas-shut down on Monday)and other stores because of higher rents, crime etc! Empty buildings only ADD to the problem-not to mention we have a HUGE Asian gang problem in this area---It is sad that in our GATED community I still had my car broken into-stereo stolen-and tires slashed w/razor blades---a man standing outside his house-screaming at his wife to let him in or he was going to F#(*ing kill her--my daughter FREAKED at that comment!

I am apprehensive about relocating like most folks-we've done it before and survived just fine---I know that we definately want out of CA--and SOON!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or