U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:47 PM

615 posts, read 2,762,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplacd1 View Post
My wife and I just moved to Santee in April from Fashion Valley.

The house we are renting was built in 1959 and might even be in your old neighborhood. It's right next to the lakes.
Hey...Maybe so! We lived a short walk from the lakes.

Quote:
The area has grown on me. I guess if we can acclimate to Santee, we can adjust to just about anywhere.
Santee is a nice area. I just hated the 100+ heat in the summer, but it was one of the few areas that we could afford to buy a home back while I was still in the Navy. You won't often see those temps here and the frost on your windshields there in the winter is nothing to how cold it can get here, of course.

Quote:
So was the weather change difficult for your family?
Just for the women folk. Us guys have had no problem with the cold, but my wife and daughter don't like it so much. My wife even grew up around here, so go figure. Though, they complained about the cold in the winter while in Santee.

Quote:
I hear Highlands Ranch is a desirable area to live in Denver. Good schools, low crime, etc. Do you have a feel of how it compares to Santee?
We've been here 2 years now and do really like the area. Though, it would be nicer if they didn't cram such big houses on such small lots. Our neighborhood has more elbow room, but the new construction is all too tight. I guess that is true with many new home developments around the country.

On schools, they are far better here. After trying the public schools there, we (my wife that is) ended up homeschooling our 3 kids. The teachers union there is way too powerful, schools are crumbling, and the quality of education is poor. Our kids are now in public school here and are doing well. The schools they go to (one is in elementary, one in middle school, and one in high school) are only a few years old, they have good teachers and the schools are within walking distance.

On crime, I didn't think Santee's crime rate was bad at all, but looking at the crime statistics it is even lower here.

Overall, here we have a nicer home, better schools, lower crime, everything is close by (except the beach, of course) and if my kids choose to hang after they leave the nest, they should be able to find jobs and affordable housing. Not so easily done in the San Diego area anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 01:32 AM

827 posts, read 4,631,042 times
The only thing my aunt and cousins missed about San Diego was the ocean. They said they don't miss CA at all though, so they bought a small cheap beach house on the Texas coast for seasonal vacations. It relieves their need for the ocean and yet if a hurricane came through, the house is a cheap stilts home, so it wouldn't matter if a hurricane did come through. Just an idea for pro ocean buffs.

Like the others have stated, CA used to be a great place to live, but since about the late 80s or so, it has gone down hill ever since. Colorado is the California of yesteryear, today.

Thunderbird, that was hilarious! A Gremlin! Funny!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:20 AM

117 posts, read 577,235 times
Crackerjack, I was really hoping for a Camaro SS or a Jag, but I didn't see that happening. I forgot to mention - no flash photography.

Colorado does sound wonderful.
I figure, so it snows. It will be worth living in a community where you can feel safe walking down the street, where the people are friendly and know how to drive, and where the laws aren't drowning the middle class.
I also think it would be nice to live in a red state for a change.

Unlike California, I have yet to hear anything negative about Colorado other than the worries about the weather. If Colorado had pefect weather and beaches, than everyone would want to live there and it would probably look like L.A., or New York.

When my family and I move there, I can already see myself not telling people on the internet how wonderful it is just because it sounds perfect as is.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:41 PM

23 posts, read 87,809 times
Quote:
The only thing my aunt and cousins missed about San Diego was the ocean. They said they don't miss CA at all though, so they bought a small cheap beach house on the Texas coast for seasonal vacations. It relieves their need for the ocean and yet if a hurricane came through, the house is a cheap stilts home, so it wouldn't matter if a hurricane did come through. Just an idea for pro ocean buffs.
Yeah, I'll miss surfing but not necessarily the beaches here. I spent 4 years in the panhandle of Florida so I've been spoiled. The beaches in the panhandle are absolutely awesome! Sand that looks like sugar and nice warm water. For the price of the homes in San Diego, you really could buy one in on the gulf and in Colorado.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:01 PM

Default Kaligirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaligirl View Post
Wow Misplacd, it's like your reading my mind!! Although I grew up as an Army brat and moved around quite abit when I was little I don't remember it well. My dad retired in California, so it is basically all I've known as far as living.

It makes me so sad too that, for young middle class families, the negative things in So.Cal are beginning to out weigh the positive things. I have close friendships I'd be leaving behind, so for me to think of a relocation there must be some driving force, but that is another post. The thing that scares me the most is the weather. Not that I mind some cold snowy days, I know my children will love it and might be fun to experience that side of life for me too. I actually love adventure and that sort of thing. More of my fear is of the driving conditions it will put me in as I play taxi-mom daily with 3 little kids and all that comes with that. Is it possible that after the age of 16 ( as I am abit older than that) one can learn to drive in this stuff? LOL.....

My husband keeps asking me can I do it? LOL I dont know. 3 days out of 4 I say yes!! Then I get cold feet (no pun intended). And I know all of you living in your beautiful state are probably getting a good chuckle from me, yes again, its about the weather. But I dont want to disappoint my family....go all that way, to disappoint them. How do I know? How did you all know.....

Sorry to go on. You've all been so nice. Like it was posted above, that's one of the things I've found on this forum is that you've all been so friendly and it shows how much you guys love your great state and all it has to offer!

Thanks for listening!
K

I have lots of friends and even some family here in San Diego and it will be difficult to leave. It has become significantly easier though, because most of them have moved to Riverside County for affordable homes. They spend most of their waking hours commuting to and from work. Judging by the friendly folks I've met on this chat board, I don't think making new friends in Colorado will be difficult at all.

I have the same concerns as you about the weather. Specifically, the cold. I do know this, if I don't give it a try, I will always wonder what it would have been like. Much better to have given it a try and decided it wasn't right, then to never have tried at all. So...we'll see you there?

Old 10-27-2006, 02:18 AM

827 posts, read 4,631,042 times
Yeah Thunderbird, I will take the Camaro SS! Love that car!

Misplacd1, my aunt bought a really nice large house AND a cheap beach house AND still had money left over just from selling her home in San Diego. Incredible the prices out there. Sad about someone(s) starting that fire out there near Banning. How can people do such terrible things? It killed those firefighters and one is in critical condition. How sad! I hope they get that SOB. But it just shows how California isn't the California of yesterday.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:18 AM
tao

720 posts, read 2,963,738 times
I'm from Florida but I lived in Boulder in the early 90's and I'm moving back to Colorado as soon as my house sells. You get used to the winters. I don't think it will be as big an issue as you think once you get used to it. Just take a vacation sometime in February or March to get a break from it, such as a cruise or a seaside trip to one of the warm winter states. I think you'll be fine. The rewards of living in Colorado far outweigh the adjustments you need to make.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:26 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
The wife and I have lived in Colorado, Englewood and now Parker, for 4 1/2 years. We moved here from Costa Mesa, California, but are originally from northern Indiana (me) and Detroit, Mich. (wife). Even though the weather here in Parker is not totally like Indiana/Michigan, we did find it to be somewhat comparable (despite what some people on this Forum say). In Indiana, on our farm, we had quite a number of days of sunshine in the summer and winter. We also had some severe thunderstorms....just like here. We did get more snow than here in Parker......but not much more. That is just FACT.
For anyone thinking about moving here from Southern California (especially if you were born/raised there), you will get some shock at our weather here. Now, if you live in the mountains of Southern California, you most likely won't be shocked here at all. Because we missed the 4-seasons of Indiana/Michigan so much, it wasn't a shock to us at all.
And, as far as the people here being really "friendly"......don't think so. About the only place you will nowadays find those really "friendly" folks are in the real small towns of America.
So, if you can handle the high possibility of getting snow from the first of Oct. thru Mother's Day Weekend (or later)........move on out here!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Santee is a nice area. I just hated the 100+ heat in the summer, but it was one of the few areas that we could afford to buy a home back while I was still in the Navy. You won't often see those temps here and the frost on your windshields there in the winter is nothing to how cold it can get here, of course.
You would have really hated this past summer! The whole month of July was really humid (for CA) and was consistently in the hundreds. One day, I think it was July 19th, it topped out at 114 in Santee.

Quote:
We've been here 2 years now and do really like the area. Though, it would be nicer if they didn't cram such big houses on such small lots. Our neighborhood has more elbow room, but the new construction is all too tight. I guess that is true with many new home developments around the country.
My wife and I looked at some new construction that is going up behind Rio Secco school here in Santee. The sign advertised Single Family Homes from the $550,000's and Row Homes. I was standing in the street looking for the SFH's when the salesperson walked up and asked if she could help. I told her I was looking for the SFH's and she told me I was standing directly in front of one. I thought it was a townhome! These homes literally sit no more than 5 feet away from the one next to it! There are no side yards. When you look out the side windows, you look directly at the stucco of the unit next door or into the neighbors windows. They try to prevent this by make tiny windows that sit about six feet high instead of full windows. The "backyard" was a patio with a patch of grass that extended out 12' from the back slider. I laughed at the yard and the salesperson began her sales pitch about how the local parks are the backyard and this way you don't have to work as hard on upkeep. Amazing!

Quote:
On schools, they are far better here. After trying the public schools there, we (my wife that is) ended up homeschooling our 3 kids. The teachers union there is way too powerful, schools are crumbling, and the quality of education is poor. Our kids are now in public school here and are doing well. The schools they go to (one is in elementary, one in middle school, and one in high school) are only a few years old, they have good teachers and the schools are within walking distance.

On crime, I didn't think Santee's crime rate was bad at all, but looking at the crime statistics it is even lower here.

Overall, here we have a nicer home, better schools, lower crime, everything is close by (except the beach, of course) and if my kids choose to hang after they leave the nest, they should be able to find jobs and affordable housing. Not so easily done in the San Diego area anymore.
Good info, thank you. Our daughter is only 5 months old but I definately want to get us into a good location with good schools by the time she is ready.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:40 PM

615 posts, read 2,762,051 times
Quote:
You would have really hated this past summer! The whole month of July was really humid (for CA) and was consistently in the hundreds. One day, I think it was July 19th, it topped out at 114 in Santee.
That week in July was just when we happened to drive out to visit friends in Santee before our annual week of beach camping at South Carlsbad. We pulled into town the day that El Cajon was 115, Santee probably was 114 that day. The power was out on the East side of town (where our hotel for the night was). Fortunately, by the time we got dinner and came back the power was on, but boy did it take awhile for the A/C to cool the room down.

And, you are right, I would have hated it if I had to have been there for the whole summer.

Quote:
I told her I was looking for the SFH's and she told me I was standing directly in front of one. I thought it was a townhome! These homes literally sit no more than 5 feet away from the one next to it!
That is definitely worse than anything that I have seen here. Around the San Diego area, there is not that much buildable land, so I am not surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or