Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:39 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times

Advertisements

Okay I'll be coming to Colorado in late July for 2 things, 1 to see if we like it to move out there so we will spend a good chunk of the 12 day trip in Denver but in other areas as well. The second thing we are going to do is nature type stuff like hiking, mountain biking and maybe some fishing.

What are some things to do in the mountains and things to do in the Denver area, here is my list so far:

Rockies Game
Golfing
Mountain Biking
Hiking Mt Elbert
16th St Mall
Aspen
Breckenridge
Pikes Peak
Denver Art Museum
A couple of Brewery tours
Extemporizing Denver neighborhoods and suburbs

This is about the extent of my knowledge of Denver and Colorado.

What are some other things to consider also driving distance and time spent driving is not an issue so if there is something in Fort Collins and in Pueblo that's fine. If it's worth seeing it's worth driving to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 01:05 AM

481 posts, read 1,300,720 times
Here's my advice to you: if you only have 12 days, keep yourself centralized to the Front Range and get a better feel for that area since it's where you're looking to move. All of the mountain recreation you want are within day trips of any of the Front Range cities like Denver, Ft. Collins, Colorado Springs, Boulder and Pueblo.

Coming from Milwaukee I don't recommend trying to hike Mt. Elbert. Look into altitude sickness and you'll see why. It can ruin a trip. If you want to conquer a fourteener I'd recommend taking the road or cog rail to the top of Pikes Peak or take the drive to the top of Mount Evans. If you want to get into the high country and hike, check out Rocky Mountain National Park, but take it easy until you get acclimated to the high elevation and lack of oxygen.

If you do Pikes Peak (and I highly recommend you do), make sure to check out Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs also has a lot of mountain biking options all over the city and into the foothills and mountains, including in Garden of the Gods. Golfing is found around about every corner on the Front Range.

Rockies game: do it! Lots of fun but be prepared for 90 degree temperatures in late July. I'd say skip Beeckenridge and Aspen. They're a lot more fun and interesting in the winter, being ski towns.

For brewery tours my two favorites are Coors in Golden and New Belgium in Ft. Collins. Look into all the wineries that exist on the northern Front Range, too. Some are pretty good.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and get to experience all the awesomeness Colorado offers!

Old 03-30-2014, 01:09 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
You left out Boulder where there is much to see.

Since you coming from the a Great Lakes State, you may want to know that the much of the State and Denver sits on the Great Plains. You will see it when you land at DIA. A trip to Fort Collins is worth a trip just to look out to this Great Expanse and to the east and the mountain to the west. You could go to Loveland and up to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.

Livecontent

Old 03-30-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You will see it when you land at DIA
Oh we'll be driving, I sort of a driving fanatic I just love road trips and driving long distances so that's why we chose to drive to Denver.

I cannot wait for the trip, from everything I have heard it sounds great. I wanted Palm Beach she wants Colorado and I wasn't going to even consider it but when I compare staying in Wisconsin and living with the polar vortex and never seeing the sun and Colorado's more mild winters than Wisconsin's in terms of grey and cold and wind.

I'm ready to move! plus a $200 flight and 2 hours and I am in PHX or Vegas or LA. I'll take it!

Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 AM

^Have you been here in winter and Spring? The wind blows almost constantly. And we get cold snaps where it doesn't go above 10 degrees for a week. But then, days like today it hits 70 degrees. :-) And the sun, ah the sun. That's what make winter so much more bearable here. I hope you have a great trip.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:45 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
If you really want to experience Colorado, forget all the Denver crap and spend time in the rural areas. Leave the entire Front Range metroplex in your rear view mirror as fast as you can. If you want to see "real" Colorado avoid the I-70 corridor and the resort towns that everybody has heard of. Take the roads less traveled. Do heed littlekw's warning about altitude sickness--it can ruin days of a vacation and can be life-threatening under the right conditions. Don't think that being in excellent physical shape means that you can't get it, either. Also, know that driving mountain roads take skill that many flatlanders don't possess. Don't obstruct traffic on mountain roads. If there are cars behind you, pull off at the first opportunity and let them pass. Unlike you, many of them may be traveling those roads for things like commerce, getting to and from work, etc. They aren't on vacation.

While chances are that you would have to live on the Front Range if you relocated, it is really not any different that any other metropolitan area. If relocation is your main concern, then forget the trip as a vacation--concentrate on making contact with employers, etc.--find the job first. Also, don't be seduced by how Colorado looks in July--you are seeing it at its best. See what the Front Range looks like in winter when it's brown most of the time and the wind, as noted, can be blowing, etc. For vacation, visit in July, to see if you can stand living there, visit in November to March.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:47 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Red Rocks Amphitheater VISIT DENVER | Red Rocks Amphitheatre & Visitors Center
Pearl St Mall Boulder Downtown Boulder Inc | Downtown Boulder Business Improvement District
Georgetown, and Georgetown Loop RR Colorado Tourism, Historic Railroad, Scenic Train Rides | Georgetown Loop Railroad

Last edited by reed303; 03-30-2014 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 01:25 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I'm ready to move! plus a $200 flight and 2 hours and I am in PHX or Vegas or LA. I'll take it!
FYI - flight times to Phoenix and Vegas are less than 90 minutes and you can always find fares for well under $200.

Aspen and Breckenridge are more than just ski towns and there is always plenty to do in the summer so come on up!

If you want to climb Mt. Elbert do it. Just don't do it on your first day! (I'd wait 4-5 days.) I read that about 25% of people who go to high altitudes experience symptoms of altitude sickness: headaches, fatigue, nausea and vomiting. I live in the mountains, my friends and family visit to go skiing and hiking. After the 2nd day most of them have acclimated. Very few of them have any problems and if they do it is more due to dehydration (too much partying) than "altitude sickness".
Easy way to find out. If you get a headache, drink a liter of water and take some acetaminophen - if the headache disappears completely and quickly, you're probably dealing with dehydration rather than altitude sickness.
So... drink plenty of water, take it easy on the alcohol, some sites advise to avoid caffeine, and I have read that taking ibuprofen can help prevent altitude sickness and help people who are without symptoms to stay without symptoms. When you are climbing, don't overexert yourself. It is harder to breathe at higher altitude and even if you are fit, you can still feel the effects if you push yourself too hard too quickly. And if you start to feel nauseous, weak or like you might faint, descend. That usually solves the problem.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:49 PM

^ Excellent advice on altitude sickness. It's nothing to fear but something to be aware of. I remember hiking around 11,000 feet in Rocky Mountain National Park with my mom once and a fit, young guy who had been visiting Ft. Collins for a few days had all but collapsed on the trail. We had to help him back down the trail and call his family to come get him down to Estes Park. He probably just didn't plan well for it (alcohol or whatever) but I've seen it happen.

I like jazzlovers recommendation to leave the better known Colorado behind and explore the rural areas of Colorado, they're the best part, but I think you should do a mix. Visit the Front Range cities and experience the urban madness of the state, check out some of the touristy areas, and take the time to take the less travelled roads. By all means, check out Denver, go to Aspen, fight the July crowds at Garden of the Gods and then visit little known places like Dinosaur National Monument, drive the Highway of Legends and Gold Belt Tour, hike Picketwire Canyon and have lunch at a diner in Silver Cliff. If you want to truly see Colorado you have to make a trip that combines both aspects. You'll discover what you love most about the state that way.

But the OP stated he has 12 days to explore and take a hard look at the Denver area for relocation. It'll be a more enjoyable trip if you make your base on the Front Range and take day trips from there. Plan your trip with that in mind. It's easy to escape even Denver metro and see true, rural Colorado. When in Denver check out the Colorado history museum. It's my favorite and will give you a fantastic background into where this state comes from and where it's going.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:08 PM

I should add that we are camping near Aspen so the days we do spend in Denver will be all day events. A day in Denver then a day exploring the mountains and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado