Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sters View Post
In New Jersey we pay 7%, except for food, clothing, shoes, medicines and diapers, so you guys pay a little bit more than we do; on the other hand, our property taxes are over twice what you pay and don't even get me started on car insurance...the highest in the country. Be thankful you don't live here!
Sales tax wise, you pay less than we do, b/c we pay sales tax on all of the above except medicines. The food tax varies by municipality. I think here in Louisville it is a lower percent than everything else. It's hard to keep track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Sales tax wise, you pay less than we do, b/c we pay sales tax on all of the above except medicines. The food tax varies by municipality. I think here in Louisville it is a lower percent than everything else. It's hard to keep track.
Food is exempt from state sales tax; it is open to local option whether or not it is taxed by counties, cities, etc.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Food is exempt from state sales tax; it is open to local option whether or not it is taxed by counties, cities, etc.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 PM

42 posts, read 177,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I'd trade you higher sales tax for your lower property taxes.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sters View Post
I'd trade you higher sales tax for your lower property taxes.
The sales tax can take a bite as big as property taxes--it just does it a little at a time every time you buy something. Then, make a big ticket purchase (like an automobile), and that sales tax (maybe over 8% in some places) looms large. Don't forget Colorado's very high fuel tax, too. No free lunch . . .

Old 01-11-2008, 10:43 AM

106 posts, read 430,548 times
Sales tax is an odd, odd thing. I live in Weld County, and while I think my city has like a 1% additional tax that is all we pay about the state sales tax. Generrally though I am going to a different county and purchasing larger items. Many times I have found it either cheaper or darn near the same cost to have it delivered because instead of paying the 8% sales tax in a surrounding city/county I pay the 2.9% tax when it's delivered plus the delivery fee.

I can say also that purchasing a vehicle and liking out in Wield county rocks, between the lower sales tax and lower reg fee's I am making out like a bandit. However, if you live in Denver, Boulder, etc.. expect to pay much more.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCheeze View Post
Sales tax is an odd, odd thing. I live in Weld County, and while I think my city has like a 1% additional tax that is all we pay about the state sales tax. Generrally though I am going to a different county and purchasing larger items. Many times I have found it either cheaper or darn near the same cost to have it delivered because instead of paying the 8% sales tax in a surrounding city/county I pay the 2.9% tax when it's delivered plus the delivery fee.

I can say also that purchasing a vehicle and liking out in Wield county rocks, between the lower sales tax and lower reg fee's I am making out like a bandit. However, if you live in Denver, Boulder, etc.. expect to pay much more.
What most people don't know (or don't want to know) is that if you purchase items that are delivered to you for which local sales tax is not charged, you actually are usually liable for payment of use tax to the city/county, etc. where you live. Same with stuff purchased from out-of-state or over the internet with no tax charged. Of course, few people voluntarily write a check to the county or city, etc. for use tax, and most jurisdictions don't have the resources to audit for it. There are some states, though, that actually do audit both taxpayers and vendors for this, particularly on large ticket items.

Vehicles are a special circumstance. If the county and/or city has a use tax on them, a vehicle purchased from outside the juridiction is subject to that use tax at registration--a "surprise" for many when they go to register the vehicle. Some jurisdictions have a use tax on vehicles, some don't.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 PM

705 posts, read 1,283,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmaggie View Post
We have 8% sales tax in Albany, NY. You guys are much cheaper.
I live in Boulder and the sales tax is 8.31%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado