Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:00 PM

215 posts, read 770,514 times

Advertisements

Colorado has a flat 4.63% income tax, regardless of income level. Colorado's state sales tax is 2.9% on retail sales. When state revenues exceed state constitutional limits, full-year Colorado residents can claim a sales tax refund on their individual state income tax return. Many counties and cities charge their own rates in addition to the base state rate.
StateGuidesUSA.com - Colorado - What is the primary economy of Colorado?

Once I posted this on another board this was one of the responses I received... Do you agree with his take on things?

Stay [ mod cut ] out of Greely CO. The steam coming from the slaughter house blows over the city.

Aurora CO. Is white ghetto and then some.

Colorado Springs Everyone works for the government.

Pueblo is nice but you feel like your in Kansas.

[ mod cut ]

[ mod cut ]

Now on the other side of the slope is a differn't story.
That's GOD'S country....

Durango CO is [ mod cut ] awesome! Its by the 4 corners.

Grand Junction CO is in a valley of 100,000 with Mesa, The Colorado monument, and the Bookcliffs that go into Utah for hundreds of miles.
but you're in the middle of no where.

Denver burbs are just that.
Life near red rocks is remote but a nice 40 minute ride to work.

Get ready for some freaky ass weather.
Go on the million dollar highway!!! Thats from OURAY to Silverton to DURANGO!!! People have died driving this route.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-09-2007 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Kindly remove the vulgarities / bashing before posting outside material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 08:17 PM

638 posts, read 2,276,916 times
Ummm.....no. The Durango comment is true.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,398,390 times
Hate to burst your bubble about the sales tax. The STATE rate is 2.9%, but then the counties and municipalties (along with the Regional Transportation District and a few others in the metro areas) pile on theirs. All of that put together puts the typical sales tax in most Colorado locales in the 6-8%+ range. Some places have Tax Increment Financing (TIF) bonds that are repaid through sales tax. For example, I think the total sales tax at Centarra Mall near Loveland, with that TIF included, is something around 11%!

While Colorado residential property tax rates per dollar of fair market value are some of the lowest in the nation, the Colorado fuel tax is one of the highest.

All in all, the tax burden on the individual in Colorado ranks somewhere in the middle compared to other states. Not awful, but not great, either.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:56 AM

215 posts, read 770,514 times
Okay, then Colorado just lost those few points and is now in it's orginal position.

Which is still pretty high since I'm leaning towards moving there instead of California.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:38 AM

17,924 posts, read 27,333,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
Once I posted this on another board this was one of the responses I received... Do you agree with his take on things?
[/color]
His "take" on things may have some ring of truth, in a brutally honest sort of way.

I'm not in the mood to "Pick On" any part of Colorado right now.

I'm saddened and angry about the events that took place in Arvada and Colorado Springs yesterday. Our condolences go out to the families and loved ones of the victims and prayers and thoughts to the victims themselves and congratulations and thanks to that security guard who shot that chickenbleep piece of crap dead.

Back to the rant, I suppose that the Western Slope is all that and a bag of chips, for a place to visit and those very few that can be fortunate enough to live there and are willing to adapt to it's harsh environment.

Last edited by McGowdog; 12-10-2007 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 12-10-2007, 11:10 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,602,018 times
Can't remember.... does Colorado charge sales tax on groceries like: meat/produce/can goods?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:19 AM

271 posts, read 1,377,943 times
There are no exceptions to the sales taxes.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:13 PM

92 posts, read 364,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Can't remember.... does Colorado charge sales tax on groceries like: meat/produce/can goods?
There was an article just today in the Post on this subject.

The Denver Post - Fresh look at food taxes

Sales tax on food is jurisdiction dependent. Denver, for example, does not charge sales tax on food, except for prepared items. Aurora has no sales tax on groceries, at all. Boulder, otoh, does impose the sales tax, but low-income residents can get a refund each year if they file. The article mentioned some other jurisdictions that don't impose the tax.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:18 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,398,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
There are no exceptions to the sales taxes.
Wrong. Food for home consumption is generally exempt from state sales tax. Counties and municipalities may either exempt or tax food, but if they exempt it, they must follow the same exemption standards that the state follows. There are other exemptions to sales tax, as well. Go to the Colorado Dept. of Revenue website for more information (I will forewarn you, it is not real easy to navigate: Colorado Department of Revenue )

Old 12-10-2007, 01:18 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times
Louisville either has no tax or a lower tax on food, I can't remember which now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado