Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 06:40 AM

7 posts, read 17,751 times

Advertisements

My family and I are ready for a change, so we will be moving to Colorado here directly. We are looking for short term rentals to ease the transition until get settled, 2 maybe 3 bedrooms thats located in the GVT service area, and that isn'y more than $650 a month. We'd prefer a rental home, but anything in a safe and family friendly area that's close to shopping and parks would be great. We are breaking two of JL's cardinal sins:moving without a job and moving without a boat load of money, but we do have a little bit saved to get us by initially.

Ive been reading post on here for a about eighteen months now, trying to get as much information before moving. Our family has settled on moving to Grand Junction, particularly because it is "small town/blue collar" but with some big city perks to it. We have narrowed down places to live temporarily, until we get acclimated to the area and have jobs and such. Our two choices are the Grand River Mobile Home and Apartments, and Cross Roads Apartments. Both do short term rentals, which is a plus, because we'd rather not get locked into a year lease in an area that doesn't work for us. I'd like to get feedback from locals as to which would be the better and safer environment for our small family of three. Are there any other areas or places that you'd recommend for a small family with no pets? We've found other areas that are within our price range, such as 3230 Rood Rd; 1421 Kennedy Avenue; 2365 Teller Court; and 424 Ouray, to name some of the other contenders. How safe are these areas, and would they be good for families with small children? The Grand River and Cross Roads apartments are the only ones that I am aware of that will rent sight unseen.

I also read in an old post that Independance Academy and Caprock Academy are the best school options, is that still the case? I currently homeschool, but if it is required that we both work, then I'd like to know what my options are.

Who would be the best provider for cell phone service, as well as internet service in the area, and how much does the security deposits usually run for utilities? Any and all information is welcomed.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,753 times
No job and not much money moving to one of the most economically impacted areas of CO? WOAH.

I think in your price range, you're going to have to deal with slight undesirable situations. With that said, I've lived many places, and the worst out here is really not that bad.

Caprock is arguably the best - getting in is another thing.

I've been happy with AT&T out here, with few dead zones.

For internet you have DSL and cable. Cable is Charter

ETA:

After reviewing your locations, I'd probably choose the Rood Ave. location first and then Kennedy Ave. Rood puts you close to downtown, City Market, and all the stuff over on that end. Kennedy is close to the College, so you'll have to deal with the kids.

The other two, I personally wouldn't live there. I own a few rentals in the valley ( all commercial & office and one residential), one of them being near Teller Ct. I wouldn't say its dangerous or anything, just not where I'd choose to live. I'd choose the Rood Ave.

Good luck with your move

Last edited by motoracer51; 04-28-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
A few notes here:

Ute Water is what is represented in the GJ area. They require a $12 deposit but IIRC you get it back after a year or so (I think.) The monthly water rate is $19 for 3000 gallons used. For trash collection and sewer Grand Junction does not require a deposit. Their rates vary somewhat regarding location and the amount of trash barrels you put out. That answer kind of surprised me somewhat when I called the city and asked them. But the rate is about $30 a month (ballpark figure) Not that bad a rate, Fruita charges $53 a month.

I use Verizon, have since 1999. I understand AT&T is ok though. Like Motorracer51 stated, Charter is the local cable setup. I had DirecTV for years, switched to Charter (originally known as Bresnan.) When I've called them for problems, they've been GREAT regarding customer service.

Motoracer makes a couple good points regarding housing. I'm personally ok with 2365 Teller, for the record there are three small apartment houses all grouped together 2365 is the one in the middle. 424 Ouray puts you near downtown but there is a church right across the street. It's an older neighborhood of course. Grocery shopping is 2 minutes away with City market there. I also agree with him on 14th and Kennedy, the college is only two blocks west of there and the students don't have a great setup with the lack of parking a problem.

One location I'm kind of stumped on-Motorracer, ya got Rood road near downtown (which it is), but does ECTraveler mean Clifton? The address is typed out 3230 Rood Rd.

Edit>>>Forgot about lights and gas. For years we were known as Public Service Co. of Colorado, now we're known as Excel. Not sure about a deposit, I'm thinking they would. Call them to check--800-895-4999

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 04-28-2014 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 04-29-2014, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the info. I know that my budget limitations is going to require us making living in an just-off-the-mark neighborhood, but that is why we want a short term lease. Once employed we wouldn't necessarily have a long wait before our lease ended and we would be free to move.

As far as the House on Rood Rd., it says that it was in Grand Junction. I noticde that Clifton and Grand Junction also have an Ouray Rd. Thanks for the recommendations. I feel better about making a choice of where to move. So, besides Teller court and Ouray being less than desireable areas, what about Grand River motor home apartments and Cross Roads apartments? Are these bad areas too?

Thanks for the well- wishes and all the information you provided. Its a great help! Bye guys

Old 04-29-2014, 02:32 PM

Grand River motor home apartments is down the street from one of my rentals. It's cheap housing - I don't know what to tell you. It isn't a war zone or anything like that, but I'd be surprised if some people or things you see go on over there make you go hmm..

Yes, there is 2 Rood Ave. in Grand Junction. One in the city proper, and the other in Clifton. I'd choose the city one over the Clifton one most definitely.

A buddy of mine live in Cross Roads apartments. He likes it there and has never said anything negative about it. It's in a decent-nice are mixed with office, retail and residential. The airport is near by, so just be aware of aircraft noise.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:26 PM

10 posts, read 31,244 times
Honestly am moving out of GJ because there is not much jobs here!..rent and car insurance aint that much cheaper and honestly there is not too much progress here..so I would second think that

Old 04-30-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphii View Post
Honestly am moving out of GJ because there is not much jobs here!..rent and car insurance aint that much cheaper and honestly there is not too much progress here..so I would second think that
Strange.

I find 100+ job listings just today on Craigslist. 64 on the Sentinel.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the insight Motoracer, you've been a big help. We think we will be joining your friend at Cross Roads. I cant wait to move!

In to response to Raphii: The reason you are moving out is exactly why we are moving in. When I stated big city perks, I wasn't talking about Grand Junction being a "progressive" city, but more so that I could get my fix at starbucks and that there is more than a few eateries in the area, and there is still a sense of community. Basically its a simply life, but not rural or"rustic" that we desire. We currently pay over $800 for a studio, so if we can move and pay a hundred or two less for more bedrooms, I consider that as a bonus.

As long as there is a good bar that we adults can visit from time to time, and a good park and adventure areas for children, then we are good. As far as jobs go, I"ve been doing as much job hunting as I have house hunting, and as long as you aren't afraid or working and getting dirty, there is always a job to be found. Unlike most in America, we work to live, not live to work, so as long as our needs(shelter, food, clothes,etc) are met then everything is a bonus.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:27 AM

Good for you.

What kind of activities are your husband and kids into?

Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Strange.

I find 100+ job listings just today on Craigslist. 64 on the Sentinel.
On last nights KKCO news broadcast, there was a 2 minute story about how Mesa County is getting ready to hire several dozen people, mostly teachers. I didn't see anything in today's GJ paper about it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado