Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
First off, MS is not contagious and is not something acquired from any particular environmental factors. It's an auto-immune disorder likely caused by genetic factors (though that's not fully understood.) What you are probably seeing in the statistics is the result of MS patients moving to Colorado because of the cooler climate. Heat seriously exacerbates the symptoms of the disease so if you live somewhere cool you'll be able to function much better outdoors for longer periods of time. You're going to be no more or less likely to contract MS living in Colorado than anywhere else.
Having several friends with MS, I'm not sure I agree. Colorado does have a higher incidence per capita of MS than some other areas of the country, and there is not a good explanation as to why. There are all kinds of specualtive explanations, none of which have been scientifically proven, as far as I know. Things like concentrations of naturally occurring heavy metals in many mountain town water supplies, artifacts from 1950's above ground nuclear testing west of Colorado (with fallout dropping here), natural background radiation in many places, prolonged exposure to high altitude, etc., etc. I don't put a lot of stock in most of those possible explanations, but no one really knows why the incidence is higher, either. Oh, and all of my friends with MS are Colorado natives and have lived in Colorado all of their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:44 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Oh, and all of my friends with MS are Colorado natives and have lived in Colorado all of their lives.
have you ever thought that maybe they didn't move away because of the better climate there? I also forgot to mention the lack of humidity. Heat and humidity are absolute hell for MS. If someone who had it were asking me where to move, I'd recommend a cooler, dryer Western state over anywhere else.

Before people freak out too much about this, MS is still a fairly rare affliction. It's estimated that only about 300,000 Americans out of 300,000,000 have it.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 PM

There's another factor that probably comes into play here - demographics. MS is much more prevalent the further one moves away from the equator. Northern Europeans have a very high incidence of MS relative to Africans and SE/South Asians. I believe they found the highest proportion of it in one area of Scotland. Since Colorado has a relatively high percentage of Northern and Western Europeans, one would expect to find more of it there, probably more in the North than the South, since Hispanics and American Indians have much a lower incidence of it.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Interestingly, one of my friends afflicted with MS is Hispanic--and a Colorado native.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Interestingly, one of my friends afflicted with MS is Hispanic--and a Colorado native.
Why did I know you were going to say that? I know you love to share reasons for people not to move there but fear of MS should not be one of them. Here's an interesting article I found on how MS clustering studies can mislead:

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/msstats.html

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-22-2010 at 06:00 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why did I know you were going to say that? I know you love to share reasons for people not to move there but fear of MS should not be one of them. Here's an interesting article I found on how MS clustering studies can mislead:

MS and statistics
Don't read so much into my statements. I was just stating a fact.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Don't read so much into my statements. I was just stating a fact.
Okay. I probably overdid it on the demographics piece as apparently the climate plays the stronger role. According to some studies one can become more likely to contract MS if one moves from a less temperate to a more temperate climate before the age of 15. Your hispanic friends' ethnic heritage is likey much less consequential than the fact that he's lived there since birth.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:06 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times
My common sense opinion is that diet has a big part in this, just look at what people eat. Many are being 'passively poisoned', ingesting a lot of chemicals in the form additives, preservatives, and pesticides...not to mention the air we breathe in some places. Just read the label on most any packaged food item...can you count the ingredients on one hand and pronounce all of them?

Margarine is dyed yellow (it's really black) and is one molecule short of being plastic...and this is a 'healthy' alternative to plain old butter?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
My common sense opinion is that diet has a big part in this, just look at what people eat. Many are being 'passively poisoned', ingesting a lot of chemicals in the form additives, preservatives, and pesticides...not to mention the air we breathe in some places. Just read the label on most any packaged food item...can you count the ingredients on one hand and pronounce all of them?

Margarine is dyed yellow (it's really black) and is one molecule short of being plastic...and this is a 'healthy' alternative to plain old butter?

Please provide any evidence of a link between diet and MS or that margarine is naturally black (it's actually white or offwhite as "common sense" would tell you based on the ease with which it's dyed yellow). Makes me question your assertion that it's also one molecule away from plastic. However, I'm no chemist.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:11 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times
[quote=CAVA1990;14771846]Please provide any evidence of a link between diet and MS or that margarine is naturally black (it's actually white or offwhite as "common sense" would tell you based on the ease with which it's dyed yellow). Makes me question your assertion that it's also one molecule away from plastic. However, I'm no chemist.[/quot

YouTube - The Paleo Diet and Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Part 1/7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkrcn...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7iN9...eature=related

etc. etc.

As for margarine, it's grey first, then bleached, then a 'natural flavor' is added and then the dye. Mmmmmm good!!

I heard the '1 molecule away from plastic' a while back, and is more or less hyperbole according to Snopes. Sure sounds compelling, though...so I'll keep telling people.

Last edited by Shuffler; 06-25-2010 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado