Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 02:54 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,451,005 times

Advertisements

I went to Denver last night to see Once at the Temple Buell. I had snow on the way up and on the way home. In fact it took me over 3 hours to get home. Actually this is my Birthday week and its rare for me to see snow so I was very excited. I might even drive to Beulah tonight if it looks like they will get snow so I can see it on my Birthday.

I thought I would post just a few pictures of the snow.

This was when the rain changed to snow on the way up. It was in northern Pueblo county (Pueblo Springs) and southern El Paso county (PPIR).

Traffic accident before Castle Rock on the way up.

One picture on the way home of the interstate. The highway was actually closed here for a bit due to a traffic accident. We got off the highway stopped at the gas station then in a few minutes it was re opened so we went home.

This was in Monument at the 7-11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 PM

This storm really hit the southern mountains good. It will be interesting to see the impact it has on the snow pack.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:24 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,990,879 times
Josseppie wrote: This storm really hit the southern mountains good. It will be interesting to see the impact it has on the snow pack.

I'm guessing it will be almost nil. But a little bit of additional snow cover is better than none at all.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Josseppie wrote: This storm really hit the southern mountains good. It will be interesting to see the impact it has on the snow pack.

I'm guessing it will be almost nil. But a little bit of additional snow cover is better than none at all.
You could be right. Once the storm is over I will look it up on line.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The rule of thumb for planting a garden in Colorado is to wait until you see the scrub oaks start to leaf out. This shrub is native to Colorado and doesn't get fooled by early warm spells followed by snow the way non-native species do. Interestingly enough, my Mom planted cherry and crab apple trees in Colorado Springs and they made it through the extremes of a Colorado spring almost every year. However, here in SW Colorado the fruit trees which were planted all around my current house didn't make it this spring, and I'm told they haven't made it through for several years in a row now. Yet, there is a vibrant orchard business just up the road in Olathe, Fruita, and Palisade among others. Go figure.

This morning is cold and windy. It feels more like November than May, and there's a freeze warning in effect again for tonight. This is getting old, folks. Of course, next week will probably be sweltering, true to Colorado form and I'll be complaining about the heat.
My scrub oak did start leafing out at least a week ago. It looks like it could get pretty cold tonight; it's already 38 degrees (in my yard) and the sky is clear.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:30 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This storm really hit the southern mountains good. It will be interesting to see the impact it has on the snow pack.
As usual, Joss is talking through his hat quite a bit. A lot of the southern Colorado mountains have not gotten that much out this storm, at least so far. The pattern continues that the areas that need moisture the most are, so far, getting the least. From firsthand observation, I can also say that soil moisture is abysmally low in much of far southern Colorado. What moisture falls is not enough to keep the soil wet for more than a day, at most.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
As usual, Joss is talking through his hat quite a bit. A lot of the southern Colorado mountains have not gotten that much out this storm, at least so far. The pattern continues that the areas that need moisture the most are, so far, getting the least. From firsthand observation, I can also say that soil moisture is abysmally low in much of far southern Colorado. What moisture falls is not enough to keep the soil wet for more than a day, at most.
Instead of speculation lets just wait a few days to see what the totals are.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:06 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,152 times
^^^
It ain't speculation when I go out to my garden next to the alfalfa fields and only the top inch to half inch of soil has moisture in it and that's because I turned on one of the irrigation spigots to sprinkle a little water over my newly emerging lettuce and spinach seedlings. Lizard Head Pass has - oh, be still my heart - 5 inches of snow. Lone Cone has 8 inches. The forecast is for another freeze tonight - it's now 34 degrees as I type this - with a slow warming trend beginning tomorrow. Chance of precip for the next 5 days or so is 0%. Joss, you live at least 400 miles away from the SW mountains. What makes you think jazz and I are lying to you?

Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
^Unlike Joss, I've been out doing work in the field in southern Colorado for the last couple of weeks. Where I was, at 10,000 ft. elevation, the snowpack would normally still be 5-6 feet deep. It is already essentially gone. Much of the far southern Colorado high country is around 8"-10" short in water content for the 2013-2014 winter. Now, this latest storm MAY bring 1/2"-1" of water, at best. While welcome, it is nowhere near enough to erase a huge winter deficit. We don't have to "wait and see" about this latest storm. It would have to snow about 6 feet to make up the water deficit for the winter and that ain't gonna happen. I really wish Joss would quit spewing about something about which he obviously knows little.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:30 AM

We had a light flurie move thru Pueblo just now! Why is that news? Well today is my birthday and I have never had snow on my birthday in Pueblo till today! I am sooooooo excited you guys have no idea....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado